• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 8,062
    Pross said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

An interesting take on why the likes of ChatGPT and Midjourney can produce such good facsimiles of writing and photographs, but still get such basic things wrong.

https://medium.com/the-conversation/it-takes-a-body-to-understand-the-world-why-chatgpt-and-other-llms-dont-know-what-they-re-saying-856c114529f6

I used it once in anger. I was impressed how it gave me a comprehensive answer covering everything I needed. I was unimpressed though when I discovered the answer was made up and not factually correct. It seems it does this.
    Jose Been used it on the Brabantse Pijl the other day and it claimed Lutsenko has won Strade Bianchi and Amstel which she confirmed he definitely hasn’t.
    There was an article in the Guardian where they explained it just gives a plausible answer and not necessarily a factually correct one. Given Google lost so much value over just this, it's a bit surprising that ChatGPT is no better.
    Doesn't it just suck up whatever it finds on the internet including the inaccuracies and put it into words?
    Couldn't it cross reference though? Six the same, one different...

Weather modelling does this now.
    I'm sure it does and probably gets things right most times but I don't think anyone needs to fear it writing A* graded essays for school kids quite yet.
    Someone asked it submit answers for the ARB exams and it achieved a pass. I think we will need to think more carefully about how we set exam questions.
    The irony is all architects rely heavily on computers now.
    I suspect that, like in my related field, there is a problem with an over-reliance with people not understanding the theory and how to actually do the work manually accepting what comes out of the software. I’ve regularly picked up work that I can see at a glance isn’t right and get “that’s what the software said” responses.
    Yeah, look at gps/navigation. What we are all doing now, incredible really. Without witnessing it's evolution it's the stuff of God's.
  • focuszing723
    webboo said:

Stop disagreeing with me, you know I'm right and you're wrong. Just accept Humanity is doomed and have some cake to pacify reality.

Late Sunday night and you are on one. Time to reduce the salt intake again.
    Yep, I will desalinate things with immediate effect.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,341
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 20,005
    Pross said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

An interesting take on why the likes of ChatGPT and Midjourney can produce such good facsimiles of writing and photographs, but still get such basic things wrong.

https://medium.com/the-conversation/it-takes-a-body-to-understand-the-world-why-chatgpt-and-other-llms-dont-know-what-they-re-saying-856c114529f6

I used it once in anger. I was impressed how it gave me a comprehensive answer covering everything I needed. I was unimpressed though when I discovered the answer was made up and not factually correct. It seems it does this.
    Jose Been used it on the Brabantse Pijl the other day and it claimed Lutsenko has won Strade Bianchi and Amstel which she confirmed he definitely hasn’t.
    There was an article in the Guardian where they explained it just gives a plausible answer and not necessarily a factually correct one. Given Google lost so much value over just this, it's a bit surprising that ChatGPT is no better.
    Doesn't it just suck up whatever it finds on the internet including the inaccuracies and put it into words?
    Couldn't it cross reference though? Six the same, one different...

Weather modelling does this now.
    I'm sure it does and probably gets things right most times but I don't think anyone needs to fear it writing A* graded essays for school kids quite yet.
    Someone asked it submit answers for the ARB exams and it achieved a pass. I think we will need to think more carefully about how we set exam questions.
    The irony is all architects rely heavily on computers now.
    I suspect that, like in my related field, there is a problem with an over-reliance with people not understanding the theory and how to actually do the work manually accepting what comes out of the software. I’ve regularly picked up work that I can see at a glance isn’t right and get “that’s what the software said” responses.
    They should have had the lesson with my maths teacher when we were about to be let loose on some multiplication machines where you turned a handle and jiggled the thing along depending on whether you were multiplying 1s, 10s etc. We weren't allowed to play until we'd got an idea of the right answer manually first.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,977

Pross said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

I don't think so. If you read the article RJS posted, it is simply trying to connect words together that might make sense.

For example, I'd be intrigued if you asked it to tell you about WvA's win a P-R. I'd imagine it will give you a detailed response despite it not having happened.
    Title: Wout van Aert's Epic Victory at Paris Roubaix: A Cycling Masterclass

In a thrilling display of grit, determination, and sheer talent, Belgian cyclist Wout van Aert emerged victorious at the 2023 Paris Roubaix, cementing his status as one of the brightest stars in professional cycling. Van Aert's win in the prestigious one-day race, often referred to as the "Hell of the North," was a masterclass in strategic racing and physical prowess, leaving fans and fellow cyclists alike in awe of his performance.

The 120th edition of Paris Roubaix, known for its punishing cobblestone sectors and challenging terrain, proved to be a true test of endurance and skill. But Van Aert, who had previously shown his prowess in the classics with wins in Milan-San Remo and the Tour of Flanders, rose to the occasion with unparalleled brilliance.

Van Aert, riding for Team Jumbo-Visma, attacked early in the race, positioning himself at the front of the peloton and showcasing his exceptional bike-handling skills on the treacherous cobblestone sections. His relentless pace and calculated moves gradually whittled down the field, leaving only a select group of contenders in pursuit.

As the race reached its critical stages, Van Aert made a decisive move, accelerating on a pivotal sector and distancing himself from his rivals. With a combination of raw power and tactical acumen, he built a significant gap and maintained it with unwavering determination, navigating the challenging terrain with finesse.

Despite facing stiff competition from experienced riders like Mathieu van der Poel and Peter Sagan, Van Aert never faltered. His unrelenting pace and unwavering focus propelled him towards the iconic Roubaix velodrome, where he crossed the finish line solo, arms raised in triumph.

Van Aert's victory at Paris Roubaix was not just about physical strength, but also demonstrated his exceptional racecraft and strategic acumen. His ability to read the race, anticipate moves, and make calculated decisions was evident throughout the day, showcasing the maturity and skill of a true champion.

Speaking after the race, Van Aert expressed his elation and gratitude, acknowledging the significance of his win in one of the most prestigious races on the professional cycling calendar. He credited his team for their unwavering support and the incredible atmosphere of Paris Roubaix, which motivated him to push his limits and achieve this remarkable feat.

Van Aert's win at Paris Roubaix adds another glorious chapter to his already illustrious career. With victories in multiple monuments and a formidable presence in both road races and cyclocross, he has established himself as one of the most versatile and accomplished cyclists of his generation.

As the cycling world looks ahead to future races, Van Aert's win at Paris Roubaix serves as a reminder of his indomitable spirit, unwavering determination, and exceptional talent. Fans and fellow cyclists alike eagerly anticipate his future endeavors, knowing that he is capable of achieving even greater heights in the world of professional cycling
  • rjsterry
    Ask it to write a similar piece describing KingstonGraham's epic victory. 😀
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 20,005
    Why so many people were rushing around in central Paris yesterday evening with absolutely no lights... probably the majority. Weird.
  • kingstongraham
    rjsterry said:

It gave it a go, but fewer details. Young talent indeed.

Title: Kingston Graham's Epic Victory in Paris-Roubaix: A Triumph of Grit and Determination

On a chilly Sunday morning in April, cycling history was made as Kingston Graham, a rising star in the world of professional cycling, claimed a stunning victory in the prestigious Paris-Roubaix race. This grueling one-day race, also known as the "Hell of the North," is famous for its treacherous cobblestone sectors and demanding terrain, making it one of the most challenging races on the cycling calendar. But Graham, known for his tenacity and perseverance, defied the odds to secure a remarkable win in this iconic race.

Graham, hailing from the United States, has been making waves in the cycling world with his incredible performances in recent years. However, his victory in Paris-Roubaix was undoubtedly his crowning moment, a true testament to his talent and determination. The race, spanning 257 kilometers from Compiègne to Roubaix, is notorious for its brutal cobblestone sectors that can cause mechanical failures, crashes, and exhaustion. But Graham took on the challenge with unwavering courage.

From the very start, Graham demonstrated his prowess on the cobbles, expertly navigating the uneven terrain and maintaining a strong position within the peloton. As the race progressed, the weather conditions deteriorated, with rain and mud adding an extra layer of difficulty to an already grueling race. But Graham pushed on, showing exceptional bike handling skills and tactical acumen to stay at the front of the race.

As the race entered its final stages, Graham found himself in a breakaway group of five riders, including some of the most experienced and accomplished cyclists in the world. With the finish line in sight, the tension was palpable as the riders battled it out for the coveted victory. Graham showed remarkable determination, attacking at the right moment and leaving his rivals in the dust. With a powerful sprint to the finish line, he crossed it with arms raised in triumph, etching his name in cycling history as the winner of Paris-Roubaix.

In his post-race interview, Graham credited his win to his unwavering belief in himself and his team's support. He mentioned the challenging conditions during the race and the mental and physical toughness required to come out on top. He expressed his gratitude to his team for their unwavering support and praised his fellow competitors for their fierce competition.

Graham's win in Paris-Roubaix has catapulted him into the limelight, earning him praise and admiration from the cycling community and beyond. His victory is a testament to the grit, determination, and resilience that define professional cycling. It serves as an inspiration to aspiring cyclists and a reminder that with hard work, dedication, and a never-give-up attitude, dreams can come true.

As the cycling world reflects on Kingston Graham's epic win in Paris-Roubaix, it is clear that this young talent has a bright future ahead of him. With his unwavering spirit and impressive skills, he is poised to become a formidable force in the world of professional cycling. Fans eagerly await his future races, eager to witness more thrilling performances from this rising star.
  • focuszing723
    How many people walked on the Bannau Brycheiniog over Easter?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,199

Maybe none yet. Perhaps you should be the 1st.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • wavefront
    wavefront Posts: 397
    Is this ChatGPT or GPT 4? With GPT it’s only got facts up to 2021 to work with, GPT 4 should, in theory work with newer info. That said I share the doubts as to how factual it can actually be, as the post demonstrated.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,161
    Sounds to me that AI is currently interesting but sh!t.
    Quite a way to go yet.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • kingstongraham
    wavefront said:

Is this ChatGPT or GPT 4? With GPT it’s only got facts up to 2021 to work with, GPT 4 should, in theory work with newer info. That said I share the doubts as to how factual it can actually be, as the post demonstrated.

This is the free one - ChatGPT.
  • focuszing723
    edited April 2023
    pblakeney said:

Quite a way to go yet.

If we're at this stage now though, how long before it's digital noggin out noggs our noggins?
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

Quite a way to go yet.

If we're at this stage now though, how long before it's digital noggin out noggs our noggins?
    Past me caring. I'm close enough anyway.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,561

pblakeney said:

Quite a way to go yet.

Depends why it's sh!t, have we reached a fundamental limitation in the methods, or does it just need a sprig of extra GPU power, or what.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    It's just another tool and we need to learn how to use it and the damage it does when it's used in the wrong way.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,756

rjsterry said:

Title: Kingston Graham's Epic Victory in Paris-Roubaix: A Triumph of Grit and Determination

On a chilly Sunday morning in April, cycling history was made as Kingston Graham, a rising star in the world of professional cycling, claimed a stunning victory in the prestigious Paris-Roubaix race. This grueling one-day race, also known as the "Hell of the North," is famous for its treacherous cobblestone sectors and demanding terrain, making it one of the most challenging races on the cycling calendar. But Graham, known for his tenacity and perseverance, defied the odds to secure a remarkable win in this iconic race.

Graham, hailing from the United States, has been making waves in the cycling world with his incredible performances in recent years. However, his victory in Paris-Roubaix was undoubtedly his crowning moment, a true testament to his talent and determination. The race, spanning 257 kilometers from Compiègne to Roubaix, is notorious for its brutal cobblestone sectors that can cause mechanical failures, crashes, and exhaustion. But Graham took on the challenge with unwavering courage.

From the very start, Graham demonstrated his prowess on the cobbles, expertly navigating the uneven terrain and maintaining a strong position within the peloton. As the race progressed, the weather conditions deteriorated, with rain and mud adding an extra layer of difficulty to an already grueling race. But Graham pushed on, showing exceptional bike handling skills and tactical acumen to stay at the front of the race.

As the race entered its final stages, Graham found himself in a breakaway group of five riders, including some of the most experienced and accomplished cyclists in the world. With the finish line in sight, the tension was palpable as the riders battled it out for the coveted victory. Graham showed remarkable determination, attacking at the right moment and leaving his rivals in the dust. With a powerful sprint to the finish line, he crossed it with arms raised in triumph, etching his name in cycling history as the winner of Paris-Roubaix.

In his post-race interview, Graham credited his win to his unwavering belief in himself and his team's support. He mentioned the challenging conditions during the race and the mental and physical toughness required to come out on top. He expressed his gratitude to his team for their unwavering support and praised his fellow competitors for their fierce competition.

Graham's win in Paris-Roubaix has catapulted him into the limelight, earning him praise and admiration from the cycling community and beyond. His victory is a testament to the grit, determination, and resilience that define professional cycling. It serves as an inspiration to aspiring cyclists and a reminder that with hard work, dedication, and a never-give-up attitude, dreams can come true.

As the cycling world reflects on Kingston Graham's epic win in Paris-Roubaix, it is clear that this young talent has a bright future ahead of him. With his unwavering spirit and impressive skills, he is poised to become a formidable force in the world of professional cycling. Fans eagerly await his future races, eager to witness more thrilling performances from this rising star.
    Bit of a word salad really. It's also given him a Flanders win which is what I was saying about things being completely made up.

Not sure I can see much point of it.

• focuszing723
    edited April 2023
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Quite a way to go yet.

Past me caring. I'm close enough anyway.
    Well that's true. I'd love to see It's evolution though.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,396

No, but I did a couple of weeks earlier. Not sure why there is so much fuss about this, all that is happening is the Park Authority itself is only going to use the Welsh version in its official information. Similar has been done with Yr Wyddfa and Eryri recently.
  • rjsterry
    Pross said:

No, but I did a couple of weeks earlier. Not sure why there is so much fuss about this, all that is happening is the Park Authority itself is only going to use the Welsh version in its official information. Similar has been done with Yr Wyddfa and Eryri recently.
    Just the usual d***heads trying to keep in the news.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• kingstongraham

rjsterry said:

Bit of a word salad really. It's also given him a Flanders win which is what I was saying about things being completely made up.

If you want it to make shit up, maybe it's got a place, and with very defined parameters I can see it revolutionising programming.

I did ask it for a report on a fictional event, so it making up wva winning flanders isn't ridiculous.

• kingstongraham
    Maybe you prefer it as a limerick

Wout van Aert, cycling with might,
    In Paris Roubaix, a thrilling sight,
    He attacked with finesse,
    Showcasing his prowess,
    A champion's win, pure delight!

Or

There once was a rider named Wout,
    In Paris Roubaix, he went all out,
    With power and speed,
    He took the lead,
    A win that left no room for doubt!

• pblakeney
    It's just computing, isn't it? That means garbage in, garbage out.
    You have to know how to ask the right question, and that's the tricky part.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

If you want it to make censored up, maybe it's got a place, and with very defined parameters I can see it revolutionising programming.

I did ask it for a report on a fictional event, so it making up wva winning flanders isn't ridiculous.

I guess it has no concept of the difference between reality and fiction.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    edited April 2023
    How you can be surrounded by intelligent successful people and still get sucked in by such twaddle.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/family/life/pronatalists-save-mankind-by-having-babies-silicon-valley/

Small note, if you claim to be part of an elite, this will be undermined by dressing like a ten year old at a wedding.

No surprise that Elno is firmly on the bandwagon.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    rjsterry said:

How you can be surrounded by intelligent successful people and still get sucked in by such twaddle.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/family/life/pronatalists-save-mankind-by-having-babies-silicon-valley/

Small note, if you claim to be part of an elite, this will be undermined by dressing like a ten year old at a wedding.

"Meet the ‘elite’ couples breeding to save mankind"
    > rings a bell.

• rjsterry
    The hilarious bit is where they worry that people will muddle them up with ethno-nationalists and Nazis.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,396
    Jeez, looking at those two the better option would be a sterilisation programme!
  • pblakeney
    I guess poor eyesight is not one of their remits.
    Veronese68 wrote: