Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,680
    Ah, so this is where the corona-chat ended up...

The only reason I watched it was for the music which was, somehow, even more impressive than I knew it would be. One of the rare "good" moments of twitter was seeing it impact a bunch of people who wouldn't normally be exposed to that sort of music and experience a small part of the world of classical music ("Zadok's got an epic beat drop bruv...")

Anna Lapwood (IYKYK) pointed it out but there was a clip when one of the choristers from N.I. shared a smile with the conductor after the 2 part treble semi-quaver run they had just executed to perfection. A properly touching Master/Padawan moment.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,396
    I was very impressed by the mounted bands. How the hell do you play the right notes, in time whilst riding a horse without reins? I’ve played brass instruments and I’ve ridden horses and was terrible at both without trying to combine them!
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 20,003
    Pross said:

I was very impressed by the mounted bands. How the hell do you play the right notes, in time whilst riding a horse without reins? I’ve played brass instruments and I’ve ridden horses and was terrible at both without trying to combine them!

Practice, like everything else.

A good friend of mine, who's 6' 7", was a mounted bandsman in one of the army bands, and his instrument is the tuba. He tells some funny tales, especially about the look on the horses' faces when they saw him approaching them.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,977
    So if he needed all this anointing and golden spurs and silly hat stuff to rightfully be king, why did they wait so long, and why was it all OK for him to pretend to be king up till yesterday?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,340

rjsterry said:

morstar said:

Didn't catch any of it. As I've ridden/driven/walked around seeing bunting and stuff, I have quietly pondered to myself what do people get out of it. But I haven't felt any animosity or contempt for those that do. It has simply intrigued me.

However, logged onto a news channel last night and immediately saw a picture of Charles in all his regalia with a crown perched on top of his head. It really struck me how bloody ridiculous he looked. I mean, what's it all about with a grown man playing dress up in ridiculously expensive (and cruelly produced) costumes of no practical purpose whatsoever for no practical reason whatsoever.

No more or less ridiculous than wearing a tracksuit or jeans and a t-shirt. People have always dressed up for special occasions. Do you watch a carnival parade and think, "well all those ostrich feathers and sequins aren't very practical"?

Saint David Attenborough actually did his Hon Grad speech at Exeter on just this subject, noting that animals dress up in (or have evolved to grow) otherwise-functionless displays for various rituals.
    Well quite. Who wants to live in a purely practical world?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,340

And yes, even if most of it is utterly preposterous these days, as a piece of theatre (admittedly a rather expensive one), it would be hard to upstage, especially this:

All it missed was some exciting lighting effects when the choir (and trumpets, natch) blast in.
    I think it's far less preposterous than in the Middle Ages. Some of the coronation banquets went on for days. Big events - and I think a change of head of state qualifies however republican you are - require a bit of theatre to mark the transition.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Can't top this one.

I've mentioned it before as I've sung it at St Paul's but managed to get a 10 person choir and a regional organ to belt it out at my wedding - fanfares and all.

https://open.spotify.com/track/7EJS8s8BRTdjrUsQsbNb87?si=2440e7dc611c4639

Sadly there are no great YouTube recording so Spotify it is
  • ddraver
    Yes I will accept that mild criticism, Christ is made the sure Foundation, was not the best...

They are a family that love a dirge tho

Given that 97 year old Grandpa raver joined in with Praise My Soul I will forgive that choice though.
    - @ddraver
  • briantrumpet

Can't top this one.

I've mentioned it before as I've sung it at St Paul's but managed to get a 10 person choir and a regional organ to belt it out at my wedding - fanfares and all.

What is it? I don't use Spotify...
  • briantrumpet
    I was rather hoping that Charles might have included this Purcell one, even if it was composed for a Catholic king (James II)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV7xh_kwumI

A side note... splendid 'chin-off' technique from the leader on violin... really hard to do without dropping the violin!
  • ddraver

Can't top this one.

Old 100th
    - @ddraver
  • briantrumpet
    ddraver said:

Can't top this one.

Old 100th

Ah, thought it might be. Yes, it's a corker, which I've played.
  • shirley_basso
    edited May 2023

And yes, even if most of it is utterly preposterous these days, as a piece of theatre (admittedly a rather expensive one), it would be hard to upstage, especially this:

All it missed was some exciting lighting effects when the choir (and trumpets, natch) blast in.
    We were a good school choir with a fantastic organ (largest chapel organ in Europe apparently) and I've sung that anthem a fair few times but holy that was an incredible rendition.
  • shirley_basso
    edited May 2023

ddraver said:

Can't top this one.

Old 100th

Ah, thought it might be. Yes, it's a corker, which I've played.
    Sadly no good recordings on YT. Even the spotify version could be crisper - but that's the challenge with a cathedral organ, I guess.

Trumpet fanfare is incredible and we had the royal marines pipe band blast it out. Followed by the national anthem. Insane experience - shame it took another 10y to appreciate it.
  • briantrumpet

We were a good school choir with a fantastic organ (largest chapel organ in Europe apparently) and I've sung that anthem a fair few times but holy that was an incredible rendition.

The trumpet parts are fantastic to play. But then, most of Handel's trumpet parts are.
  • ddraver
    Huw rather skipped over quite how old that bible was...

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMYoPerSo/

That's...pretty cool
    - @ddraver
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,613
    ^ Amazing, it doesn't even look real.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,199
    Devolution:

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Turns out people were using AI to systematically generate music and then using AI bots to listen to them on Spotify, in order to extract revenue. Haaa.

Didn't think of that one Mr Philip Dick, did ya ;)
  • pinno
    At an unmanned service station in the middle of this county, diesel is £138.9 per litre. it's a 66 mile round trip and almost worth driving to to fill up.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,961
    pinno said:

At an unmanned service station in the middle of this county, diesel is £138.9 per litre. it's a 66 mile round trip and almost worth driving to to fill up.

Money laundering operation?
  • pinno

pinno said:

It's a shell garage.

Main route to Narden Eyrelan and it has big truck pumps/bays so are getting income 24/7.
  • First.Aspect
    pinno said:

pinno said:

It's a shell garage.

Main route to Narden Eyrelan and it has big truck pumps/bays so are getting income 24/7.
    A shell company. Just as I suspected.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,160
    Our local station is unmanned and is the cheapest in the area.
    Must save a load of cost on top of salaries etc.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno

pinno said:

pinno said:

It's a shell garage.

A shell company. Just as I suspected.
    You were right.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,396
    pinno said:

Until you get there and find the pumps aren't working and you don't have enough fuel to get back home.
  • First.Aspect
    Pross said:

pinno said:

Until you get there and find the pumps aren't working and you don't have enough fuel to get back home.
    They also run a motel and a car wash.
  • pinno
    Pross said:

pinno said:

Well, the nearest other petrol station is a mere 8 miles away.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,492
    That the 2nd car to cross the line in the 1966 Le Mans 24 hour race was awarded the win as the judges deemed they had covered a greater distance as they started further back on the grid!