Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,961
    Tashman said:

That the 2nd car to cross the line in the 1966 Le Mans 24 hour race was awarded the win as the judges deemed they had covered a greater distance as they started further back on the grid!

It's a good movie.

And one of the stupidest decisions in the history of motorsport. In every other situation its called a start/finish line for a reason. Otherwise, people wouldn't risk overtaking for the lead of the race.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,492

Tashman said:

That the 2nd car to cross the line in the 1966 Le Mans 24 hour race was awarded the win as the judges deemed they had covered a greater distance as they started further back on the grid!

It's a good movie.

And one of the stupidest decisions in the history of motorsport. In every other situation its called a start/finish line for a reason. Otherwise, people wouldn't risk overtaking for the lead of the race.
    not seen the film just heard it as a piece of trivia. I'll have to look up the film. Does seem absurd and penalises the pole sitter for prior performance
  • First.Aspect
    Tashman said:

Tashman said:

It's a good movie.

not seen the film just heard it as a piece of trivia. I'll have to look up the film. Does seem absurd and penalises the pole sitter for prior performance
    The race stewards will have been French. Explains a lot.
  • First.Aspect
    edited May 2023
    I'm looking at houses in Devon and Cornwall.

I'm intrigued by the number of quaint sounding Devon villages that have a minging Cornish namesake dominated by a clay pit.

Did early settlers emigrate across the Tamar to England looking for a better life and name the new places after their homeland?
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

Tashman said:

Tashman said:

It's a good movie.

Ford orchestrated their cars crossing the line together so the theory is that the race judges made the decision as it penalised the lead car who slowed to let it happen.

Quite clever as it discourages les autres
  • First.Aspect

Tashman said:

Tashman said:

It's a good movie.

Ford orchestrated their cars crossing the line together so the theory is that the race judges made the decision as it penalised the lead car who slowed to let it happen.

undoubtedly, but still utterly incompatible with letting all cars finish the lap they were on at the end of 24h.

It's up there in the making sh1t up on the hoof stakes with Abu Dhabi.

Motorsport really doesn't help itself.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited May 2023

Tashman said:

Tashman said:

It's a good movie.

undoubtedly, but still utterly incompatible with letting all cars finish the lap they were on at the end of 24h.

It's up there in the making censored up on the hoof stakes with Abu Dhabi.

24hr racing has always been about the furthest distance not who crosses the line first.

It's not a race over a certain distance. It's a timed race, innit.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 20,003
    edited May 2023

I'm intrigued by the number of quaint sounding Devon villages that have a minging Cornish namesake dominated by a clay pit.

Did early settlers emigrate across the Tamar to England looking for a better life and name the new places after their homeland?

I'm trying to think of which places are twinned thus... ?

A lot of Cornwall is not particularly pretty, unless you go to the coast, where it is stunning. Devon also has a (mostly) beautiful coast, but is also peppered with loads of beautiful villages all over it and generally varied and pretty countryside. I think that's partly a function of the type of agricultural land leading to greater wealth in Devon in bygone centuries, and also the Cornish geology encouraging mineral extraction and widescale quarrying and mining, which tends not to encourage picture-postcard settlements.
  • First.Aspect

Tashman said:

Tashman said:

It's a good movie.

It's up there in the making censored up on the hoof stakes with Abu Dhabi.

24hr racing has always been about the furthest distance not who crosses the line first.

It's not a race over a certain distance. It's a timed race, innit.
    Yep. Measured to the nearest lap, or who crosses the line first.
  • First.Aspect

I'm trying to think of which places are twinned thus... ?

A lot of Cornwall is not particularly pretty, unless you go to the coast, where it is stunning. Devon also has a (mostly) beautiful coast, but is also peppered with loads of beautiful villages all over it and generally varied and pretty countryside. I think that's partly a function of the type of agricultural land leading to greater wealth in Devon in bygone centuries, and also the Cornish geology encouraging mineral extraction and widescale quarrying and mining, which tends not to encourage picture-postcard settlements.
    They all end in Leigh. All of them.

Not all that keen on deepest Cornwall either tbh, but Tamar Valley is still nice until they completely fuck it up with housing. Doesn't much matter which side of the line you are on.
  • First.Aspect
    Chilsworthy was the one I came across last night. The Honiton one looks nice. The Gunnislake one looks like a hole to the centre of the earth would be at the end of the garden. Which is why I'd be able to afford it.
  • briantrumpet

Chilsworthy was the one I came across last night. The Honiton one looks nice. The Gunnislake one looks like a hole to the centre of the earth would be at the end of the garden. Which is why I'd be able to afford it.

Actually, that's one of the better corners of Cornwall, almost being in Devon, and Tavistock is nice. And you can catch the train from Gunnislake to Plymuff, if you don't mind it going at 10mph some of the time.
  • First.Aspect

Actually, that's one of the better corners of Cornwall, almost being in Devon, and Tavistock is nice. And you can catch the train from Gunnislake to Plymuff, if you don't mind it going at 10mph some of the time.
    Not planning to voluntarily visit Plimuf any time soon, other than possibly Sainsburys. I'm oneufem bloody emmets, see.

Lots of development in the Tamar valley though, if you read the local plan, and several of the smaller villages are suffering from clumsy "infill", meaning desirable detached homes built on what was a field or a garden within touching distance of one another that don't remotely match the existing longhouses they now overlook. It's not great, and hard to find anywhere future proofed from being similarly fecked.

But yeah, did a drive by near Cotehele and St Dominick a few weeks ago, and I'm already fairly familiar with Tavistock. Problem is cost, which tends to track with niceness. It is well known that any village with Mary otlr Tavy in the name will be expensive and also have a prep school.

Others will be finding all of this fascinating.....
  • briantrumpet

Not planning to voluntarily visit Plimuf any time soon, other than possibly Sainsburys. I'm oneufem bloody emmets, see.

Lots of development in the Tamar valley though, if you read the local plan, and several of the smaller villages are suffering from clumsy "infill", meaning desirable detached homes built on what was a field or a garden within touching distance of one another that don't remotely match the existing longhouses they now overlook. It's not great, and hard to find anywhere future proofed from being similarly fecked.

But yeah, did a drive by near Cotehele and St Dominick a few weeks ago, and I'm already fairly familiar with Tavistock. Problem is cost, which tends to track with niceness. It is well known that any village with Mary otlr Tavy in the name will be expensive and also have a prep school.

Others will be finding all of this fascinating.....

Ah, haven't really investigated much of the valley recently, and it sounds like the same is happening there as on the outskits of Exeter, which will be unrecognisable in a few years time. And yes, nice Cornwall and Devon are very expensive for what you get. You might get somewhere cheap in Bugle, and have the satisfaction that it makes Bridgwater look rather chic. I remember driving up the main street one time, and thinking it was really grim, then as I drove further up, I realised I'd come in at the posh end.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 8,062
    https://youtu.be/9EQAYUrJItc
    One for you Brian.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,968

The older I get, the better I was.

• First.Aspect
    Ouch.
  • First.Aspect
    What exactly is your search history like RC?
  • capt_slog
    My Intrigue at the moment is ...

Plant pot heaters.

These are for the green house. You get a lit candle and stick a plant pot over it if the weather looks cold and it keeps your greenhouse frost free. Fair enough,

But the intriguing bit for me is what do they think the plant pot does? There's going to be no more heat coming off a plant pot covered candle than there is from just a candle.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,160
    capt_slog said:

Plant pot heaters.

These are for the green house. You get a lit candle and stick a plant pot over it if the weather looks cold and it keeps your greenhouse frost free. Fair enough,

But the intriguing bit for me is what do they think the plant pot does? There's going to be no more heat coming off a plant pot covered candle than there is from just a candle.

Just a guess. The plant pot contains, retains and localises the heat radiation.
    Maybe.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,199
    Perhaps it's just providing mass.

Perhaps it's marketing.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,340
    edited May 2023
    pblakeney said:

capt_slog said:

Plant pot heaters.

Just a guess. The plant pot contains, retains and localises the heat radiation.
    Maybe.
    You don't want the heat at the relatively high rate a candle provides - plant scotched and all done in an hour. To prevent frost, you just need to raise the temperature a few degrees for several hours. The theory is that the pot absorbs the heat from the candle and more slowly releases it at a more useful rate - like a little storage heater.

Someone has done the calculation!

https://www.reddit.com/r/theydidthemath/comments/lm6f6d/self_i_spent_like_45_minutes_doing_a_theoretical/
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,160
    That’s pretty much what I was trying to say. 👍
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • capt_slog
    I get the heat battery bit.

However, if you had a 5 hour candle (for eg), for the first half hour of that burn you'd see no benefit in the green house as you'd spend all that hear just getting the plant pot up to temperature. Once that pot reaches thermal equilibrium it gives exactly the same heat as the candle on its own, and you back the half hour at the end when the candle has gone out.

I didn't look through the calculations although they confirm what I expected. Although it's not foolproof there's an easier check in things like this...

If one plant pot 'improves' the heat, what happens when you add a second pot?

It should get even better, right?, and how about a third or fourth pot?

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,752
    I'm also puzzled by this for a different reason. If there is no hole in the pot presumably all the oxygen gets used up and the candle goes out. If there is a hole doesn't all the heat escape through that especially if it is at the top?
  • surrey_commuter
    capt_slog said:

I get the heat battery bit.

However, if you had a 5 hour candle (for eg), for the first half hour of that burn you'd see no benefit in the green house as you'd spend all that hear just getting the plant pot up to temperature. Once that pot reaches thermal equilibrium it gives exactly the same heat as the candle on its own, and you back the half hour at the end when the candle has gone out.

I didn't look through the calculations although they confirm what I expected. Although it's not foolproof there's an easier check in things like this...

If one plant pot 'improves' the heat, what happens when you add a second pot?

It should get even better, right?, and how about a third or fourth pot?

at this time of year you are probably only at risk of frost near dawn so you would want to be lighting the candle at the last moment.

I am guessing that they are trying to achieve a marginal gain of a fraction of a degree which may be enough to save their plants
  • surrey_commuter

I'm also puzzled by this for a different reason. If there is no hole in the pot presumably all the oxygen gets used up and the candle goes out. If there is a hole doesn't all the heat escape through that especially if it is at the top?

if you cupped your hands over a candle but left a small hole would it protect you from burning?