Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    monkimark said:

How much would a place like that go for in Blackburn?
    I wouldn't have though there were much of a market for them and if I were to spend a small fortune to live in pleasington, an ugly mansion surrounded by a load of other ugly mansions would not be my first choice.

morstar said:

I rode my bike along a road yesterday and saw the biggest houses you ever did see being built. Felt worth a google as the market they will appeal to will clearly be very niche.

https://www.lancs.live/news/lancashire-news/issa-brothers-new-blackburn-mansions-24806051

Unsurprised to find it's the Issa brothers (had wondered if it would be) but boy are they ugly. Money still can't buy taste and unfortunately from one side they can be seen for miles.

I was genuinely shocked when I first saw them in the distance and then turned onto the road.

It’s a pleasant road with what were previously quite exclusive detached properties. I’d guess previous properties in the 600k+ mark which would be top end for the area.

These things are ginormous and I have no clue who the open market client is. My guess was extended families buying a large shared house or as is possibly the case, a very wealthy family buying separate houses for their extended family.

If you scaled up the price of a nice detached on that road, you’d have to say these are £2M properties.

But you then think if I had £2M, I could get something so much nicer (even if a lot smaller).
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,396
    There was a small estate of 'luxury gated homes' built in Newport about 15-20 years ago right next to the Celtic Manor golf club which sounds great. The reality is they are on a triangular plot in a bit of a dip in the ground with a B road above them on one side, Celtic Manor car park on another and the M4 below them on the third side. I think the last one I saw was just under the million mark which, considering what is on the market in the area for that price, makes me wonder why anyone would opt to buy one, a lottery winner bought one (think they won one of the big rollovers back in the day so a good few million in the bank). There's a similar development but in a nicer location near Usk and again houses go for around a million. One of those was bought by a Euro Millions winner who won over £90 million. His wife obviously felt it wasn't suitable for someone of their new found means as she left him to move to the Caribbean.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    Pross said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

I'm not sure this one will be quite the same - I remember taking the nieces to Chessington when William got married and the place was packed with people with the same idea.

Is anyone really excited about it?

Don’t know about excited but my daughter and her friends are going to take a picnic and go and watch. It’s on the doorstep for them and not something you see every day.
    Unless she is camped out already I doubt she will see anything
    They just interviewed a woman camping out. She seemed to be the only one and when asked why she does it she was going on about the atmosphere. I suspect she feels a bit stupid although now others have seen someone is already waiting no doubt they’ll join the queue!
    I think the people already there have mental health issues.

If your daughter travels light and gets there before dawn she should see something but she will not be tucking into a picnic watching.
    It was my first thought with the woman they interviewed. I think their plan was to try to watch a bit then go and have a picnic before she then heads to Paddington to travel home for the Bank Holiday so not really going out of her way at all.
    I really think she is underestimating the size of the crowds and how difficult it will be manouvring herself, luggage and picnic through them.

Assuming lots will be blocked off there won't be many places to go for a picnic
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,752

Pross said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

I'm not sure this one will be quite the same - I remember taking the nieces to Chessington when William got married and the place was packed with people with the same idea.

Don’t know about excited but my daughter and her friends are going to take a picnic and go and watch. It’s on the doorstep for them and not something you see every day.
    They just interviewed a woman camping out. She seemed to be the only one and when asked why she does it she was going on about the atmosphere. I suspect she feels a bit stupid although now others have seen someone is already waiting no doubt they’ll join the queue!

If your daughter travels light and gets there before dawn she should see something but she will not be tucking into a picnic watching.
    It was my first thought with the woman they interviewed. I think their plan was to try to watch a bit then go and have a picnic before she then heads to Paddington to travel home for the Bank Holiday so not really going out of her way at all.
    I really think she is underestimating the size of the crowds and how difficult it will be manouvring herself, luggage and picnic through them.

I suspect she has experience in the matter given the previous royal weddings and deaths.
  • Pross

Pross said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

She's only back for the weekend so only brings a small bag, she also did the funeral as it was a couple of days after she moved up (ended up being interviewed by German TV).
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227
    BBC radio (2 anyway) appears to have gone into full forelock tugging mode. Only had it on in background a few times today but no, not that sh1t again! Just shut up will you.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,977
    Why John Lewis is playing the coronation in store
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,199
    I have avoided the whole shebang. :smiley:
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,160
    What shebang? 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,199
    pblakeney said:

What shebang? 😉

Who?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227
    pblakeney said:

What shebang? 😉

Up to her innit?
  • morstar
    Didn't catch any of it. As I've ridden/driven/walked around seeing bunting and stuff, I have quietly pondered to myself what do people get out of it. But I haven't felt any animosity or contempt for those that do. It has simply intrigued me.

However, logged onto a news channel last night and immediately saw a picture of Charles in all his regalia with a crown perched on top of his head. It really struck me how bloody ridiculous he looked. I mean, what's it all about with a grown man playing dress up in ridiculously expensive (and cruelly produced) costumes of no practical purpose whatsoever for no practical reason whatsoever.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,063
    I watched the highlights on the news. 10 minutes was quite enough. Got quite a lot done yesterday, including a spot of bike maintenance - and we get tomorrow off, so thanks Charlie.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 20,003
    morstar said:

Didn't catch any of it. As I've ridden/driven/walked around seeing bunting and stuff, I have quietly pondered to myself what do people get out of it. But I haven't felt any animosity or contempt for those that do. It has simply intrigued me.

However, logged onto a news channel last night and immediately saw a picture of Charles in all his regalia with a crown perched on top of his head. It really struck me how bloody ridiculous he looked. I mean, what's it all about with a grown man playing dress up in ridiculously expensive (and cruelly produced) costumes of no practical purpose whatsoever for no practical reason whatsoever.

Graduations in T-shirts & shorts then?

Yes, the royal regalia etc. are ridiculous, but as long as we have a monarchy whose head is also the head of the state religion, which also has silly uniforms and rituals deeply embedded in its history and culture, it's unlikely to change. Both institutions value their long heritage, the costumes being the most obvious manifestation: as everyday clothes have progressively become more drab & utilitarian, these institutions have frozen theirs in past ages, as do the gown and hats of academic wear.
  • morstar

morstar said:

Yes, the royal regalia etc. are ridiculous, but as long as we have a monarchy whose head is also the head of the state religion, which also has silly uniforms and rituals deeply embedded in its history and culture, it's unlikely to change. Both institutions value their long heritage, the costumes being the most obvious manifestation: as everyday clothes have progressively become more drab & utilitarian, these institutions have frozen theirs in past ages, as do the gown and hats of academic wear.
    Removing fur is a simple thing to do. But that was more it’s an unnecessarily cruel practice rather than a robe being OTT.
    The ridiculous was more in relation to the crown. I’m hoping you don’t have crowns at graduation.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,340
    morstar said:

No more or less ridiculous than wearing a tracksuit or jeans and a t-shirt. People have always dressed up for special occasions. Do you watch a carnival parade and think, "well all those ostrich feathers and sequins aren't very practical"?

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Not often you see ceremony as detailed as that which has so much of it rooted so closely in medieval ritual.

No royalist but it’s a great link to the past.

• briantrumpet
    morstar said:

morstar said:

Removing fur is a simple thing to do. But that was more it’s an unnecessarily cruel practice rather than a robe being OTT.
    The ridiculous was more in relation to the crown. I’m hoping you don’t have crowns at graduation.

Silly hats. Thankfully the OU ditched them, so I've not got one. Or a crown.
  • briantrumpet
    rjsterry said:

morstar said:

No more or less ridiculous than wearing a tracksuit or jeans and a t-shirt. People have always dressed up for special occasions. Do you watch a carnival parade and think, "well all those ostrich feathers and sequins aren't very practical"?

Saint David Attenborough actually did his Hon Grad speech at Exeter on just this subject, noting that animals dress up in (or have evolved to grow) otherwise-functionless displays for various rituals.
  • briantrumpet

Not often you see ceremony as detailed as that which has so much of it rooted so closely in medieval ritual.

Yes, that's kinda how I feel... didn't watch it, not bothered by it, but a fascinating collection of historical stuff.... a bit like churches for me: I haven't got a religious bone in my body, but find churches both amazing and interesting because of all the accretions of human history they bear.
  • rick_chasey
    edited May 2023
    Think it’s pretty unique in that regard. That he’s head of state and the church.

All the other remaining royal stuff in other countries is much more civil and much less old.

Dutch royals are glorified merchants from the 17th century, for example, not sent from providence. Not really the same.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 8,062
    edited May 2023
    What's the natural progression of society (intelligent matter)? Also on other planets, which there will be and more advanced than Earth.
    • The type of financial structure, capitalism, communism, other ism's...
    • Governance/control
    • Law and order
    • Responsibility
    • Health care
    • Military
    • Transportation
    • Technological
    • Biological
    • Nature
    • Exploration
    • Religions
  • focuszing723
    What's the most efficient intelligent matter form, biological, mechanical or a hybrid?
  • focuszing723
    What the hell gave us this incredible liberty?
  • rick_chasey
    You’ll feel better about the world when you realise most of the human experience is a) not unique and b) cyclical, not linear.
  • morstar
    rjsterry said:

morstar said:

Maybe just me then.

Never been a fan of dressing up and ostentatiousness.

The picture just leapt out at me as looking bloody daft but I can see how my view may be the minority.
  • briantrumpet
    edited May 2023
    morstar said:

rjsterry said:

morstar said:

Maybe just me then.

The picture just leapt out at me as looking bloody daft but I can see how my view may be the minority.

Ordinary ties are daft, bow ties even more so, as are dress suits, and tails/white tie. It's all a matter of degree. It's just that royal stuff harks back to times when posh people dressed more colourfully and ostentatiously, rather than the dourness of 19th-century formal wear, which is (I guess) why it looks so weird these days. At least they've ditched wigs for everyday wear and coronations.

You might get laughed at if you wore something like this these days in St James' Park, though it was standard 300 or so years ago...

• Pross

This. I found bits of it quite interesting and it’s not like it happens every year. It was nice to see something for the first time in a generation. I got the feeling that Charles wouldn’t have done most of it if it wasn’t for the expectation of tradition.
  • briantrumpet
    And yes, even if most of it is utterly preposterous these days, as a piece of theatre (admittedly a rather expensive one), it would be hard to upstage, especially this:

All it missed was some exciting lighting effects when the choir (and trumpets, natch) blast in.
  • Pross

morstar said:

rjsterry said:

morstar said:

Maybe just me then.

Ordinary ties are daft, bow ties even more so, as are dress suits, and tails/white tie. It's all a matter of degree. It's just that royal stuff harks back to times when posh people dressed more colourfully and ostentatiously, rather than the dourness of 19th-century formal wear, which is (I guess) why it looks so weird these days. At least they've ditched wigs for everyday wear and coronations.

You might get laughed at if you wore something like this these days in St James' Park, though it was standard 300 or so years ago...

Only a matter of time before it becomes the fashion in Shoreditch