Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 20,053
    Pross said:

Where the hell did the piece of slate that just landed on my patio come from? Our roof, and all those around us, are tiled!

You need to get in the local press with that one. Makes a change from trampolines or sheds ending up in the road.
  • briantrumpet
    edited November 2022
    I was wondering about the word 'gauge', firstly, as I always have to do a double-check about the 'au' order, and secondly, curious about it being the only 'gau' word with the 'gay' pronunciation.

Having looked it up in the OED, I'm not sure I'm much wiser on any count.

Old Northern French gauge (Central Old French and modern French jauge), of unknown origin; wanting in the other Romance languages.
    The Old French word is found, along with the related verb gauger , in the 13th cent.; the earliest sense appears to be ‘action or result of measuring’, the sense ‘instrument of measurement’ being probably derivative; the noun is perhaps < gauge v.1 Possibly there may be ultimate connection with jale bowl, galon gallon n. (so Littré), or with jalon stake to measure from (so Scheler). Horning's conjecture that the word represents Germanic *galgon- (see gallows n.) in its assumed primary sense of ‘rod’ is not very satisfactory from the Germanic point of view; derivation < Latin *aequālificāre or quālificāre (Diez) is impossible.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,049
    edited November 2022
    Pross said:

Where the hell did the piece of slate that just landed on my patio come from? Our roof, and all those around us, are tiled!

The aliens' UFO roof. ;)

Or maybe thrown across town in the strong winds.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
    Pross said:

Slates, once airborne, can travel astounding distances frisbee style. Dangerous bloody things.

Unlike concrete tiles. In the famous 'hurricane' of '97 part of our roof came off but the lumpen things just slid down as far as the gutter then somersaulted onto the front lawn forming an impromptu rockery just 2 feet away from the car. I still, possibly foolishly, decided to go out and reverse the car into the garage. Christ it was loud out there!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,405
    Think it came from a new house being built about 200m down the road, they are putting a slate roof on it at the moment. Could have done some serious damage if it had hit someone, it would have passed a shop and petrol forecourt en route.
  • Oh come on! Magically fly through the air 200m?

UAP/UFO/Aliens.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,182

Oh come on! Magically fly through the air 200m?

UAP/UFO/Aliens.

Don't underestimate the power of mother nature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZvWfIePn-o&amp;t=35s
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFy6LVlNc6c

Don't underestimate aliens.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,182

Don't underestimate aliens.

Meh, could be any Friday or Saturday night in Manchester. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,204
    Munsford0 said:

Pross said:

Slates, once airborne, can travel astounding distances frisbee style. Dangerous bloody things.

Unlike concrete tiles. In the famous 'hurricane' of '97 part of our roof came off but the lumpen things just slid down as far as the gutter then somersaulted onto the front lawn forming an impromptu rockery just 2 feet away from the car. I still, possibly foolishly, decided to go out and reverse the car into the garage. Christ it was loud out there!
    Don't you mean '87?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    SAS Rogue Hero's IMDB entry has the profanity level listed as "moderate". I'm now intrigued as to what counts as "high"....
  • Pross
    JimD666 said:

SAS Rogue Hero's IMDB entry has the profanity level listed as "moderate". I'm now intrigued as to what counts as "high"....

Try the Rise of the Footsoldiers series of films!
  • pinno said:

Munsford0 said:

Pross said:

Don't you mean '87?
    Of course I do. :s Subconsciously in denial about how old and senile I'm becoming
  • briantrumpet
    Munsford0 said:

pinno said:

Munsford0 said:

Pross said:

Don't you mean '87?
    Of course I do. :s Subconsciously in denial about how old and senile I'm becoming

It annoys me that the Burns Day Storm of 1990 is forgotten in comparison, but actually had a higher impact. It's only because the 1987 one hit the South East that it receives more column inches (well, and because of Michael Fish's blunder).
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,996

Munsford0 said:

pinno said:

Munsford0 said:

Pross said:

Don't you mean '87?

It annoys me that the Burns Day Storm of 1990 is forgotten in comparison, but actually had a higher impact. It's only because the 1987 one hit the South East that it receives more column inches (well, and because of Michael Fish's blunder).
    Didn't they both hit the SE? Living as I did in the SE at the time I pretty sure we had trees down all over the place on both occasions and that they were both a pretty big deal.

Which one nearly killed Gordon Kay?
  • Pross
    The 1990 storm killed the father of someone I knew, tree got blown onto his car.
  • briantrumpet
    Pross said:

The 1990 storm killed the father of someone I knew, tree got blown onto his car.

And a friend of mine, as he tried to clear a tree from a road. I was given sensible advice not to go out at all that day.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,204
    edited November 2022
    Munsford0 said:

Pross said:

Don't you mean '87?

Munsford0 said:

pinno said:

Munsford0 said:

Pross said:

Don't you mean '87?

I recall loads of storms in Scotland in the 80's here in Scotland - we had a power cut for 4 days at the same time as the Zeebrugge ferry disaster and only found out when my Dad wired up a radio to a car battery.
    And the storm that caused the Craigantlet to crash into rocks nearby.
    So there was me in '87, sleeping like a log in the middle of Tunbridge Wells at my brother's flat on return from a jolly in France. He woke me up in a bit of a flap because I thought it was a bit windy in my estimation. I slept through and woke up to a world of devastation.
    2 days later, I bought a Suntour Superbe* rear mech from a bike shop in TW. Such a glorious day that was :smiley: before coming back to Scotland.

*The Mavic, as ridden by Mr S Kelly in that poster, that I saw in that shop in Cambridge, was over my budget @ £44.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • briantrumpet
    Why French saucepans are virtually never sold with lids.

I was reminded of that when I saw some French advice on saving power, and one of the top ones was using lids on pans, like it was some novelty no-one had ever thought of before.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Is Paddy Mcguiness a really good presenter or something?

I don’t have anything against him and don’t dislike him. Not do I think he is anything special and yet he seems to be on about half a dozen programmes as a current presenter.

I am intrigued.

Lack of available talent or most cost effective to have one contract and squeeze it for everything you can?
  • morstar said:

Is Paddy Mcguiness a really good presenter or something?

I don’t have anything against him and don’t dislike him. Not do I think he is anything special and yet he seems to be on about half a dozen programmes as a current presenter.

I am intrigued.

Lack of available talent or most cost effective to have one contract and squeeze it for everything you can?

Trying him on everything in the hope they'll eventually find the thing he's good at.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,566
    Maybe not that trivial...Whether some of the hotel choices the Tories/home office make for housing immigrants are a deliberate ploy to rile up the Tory base.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    You do wonder. Why does Doncaster get thousands but none in Cambridge?
  • briantrumpet
    Jezyboy said:

Maybe not that trivial...Whether some of the hotel choices the Tories/home office make for housing immigrants are a deliberate ploy to rile up the Tory base.

Debate going on in Ilfracombe, where a random hotel has been populated. https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/asylum-seekers-moved-north-devon-7780739

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,116

I'm guessing here, but it could have something to do with location of suitable hotels that have rooms available?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    Always the way. Stick em in the poor areas. Stupid.

There needs to be a better way to integrate them that isn’t run by treasury penny pinchers
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,372
    Stevo_666 said:

I'm guessing here, but it could have something to do with location of suitable hotels that have rooms available?
    The solution would be to resolve the glacially slow processing of applications so that there isn't a substantial backlog of people to be accommodated. The overall numbers of claims, while slightly up on previous years, are still way below the peak of the late 90s and early 00s. The number of small boats crossings is entirely the result of closing off other road and rail routes and a failure to cooperate with France. The latest overcrowding incident at Manston is the result of the HS deliberately delaying transfers to other accommodation. It is an entirely manufactured crisis. And the guy who firebombed the site in Dover would suggest it is working.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,566

Always the way. Stick em in the poor areas. Stupid.

There needs to be a better way to integrate them that isn’t run by treasury penny pinchers

Local to me, it's a budget hotel on an industrial estate, and a spa hotel near a prestigious public school.

The choice of random "luxury" hotels in particular seems to play up to a certain crowd.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    The Asda ‘Elf’ advert.

Very well done I thought. But I can’t figure why they’ve made him about 6’7”.

The amount of effort that must have gone into making the edits so seamless means it must have been a deliberate choice.
  • rick_chasey
    Why haven’t they come up with non-Newtonian fluid filled speed bumps?