Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 20,053
    pangolin said:

A & B are the same colour

Yes, that's a good example of where our brains have learnt about the effect of shadow so we can 'see' the unshadowed colours/shades, and then applies it without telling us. We can't turn off the processing however hard we try.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 20,053
    Ben6899 said:

Image compression here is a p1sstake. Anyway, the yellow area is made of white/grey/black stripes on my screen. The "empty" section is blue/grey/white.

Thanks to @pangolin et al for verifying the illusion is genuine. Must admit I hadn't checked it in such detail.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,405
    I was trying to learn a new song in choir last night. The words for two verses were written in the gap between the treble clef lines for the two women's sections (two women's parts looked well dodgy written down!) and the bass clef for the two male sections. On the first page I seemed to manage following the words and music fairly well (for my very limited sight reading ability) but as soon as I turned onto page 2 I found it impossible to read both at the same time. Very weird and annoying until the words stuck in my head and I could concentrate on the notes, I can't work out what it was about the page turn that was throwing me.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,204
    Pross said:

I was trying to learn a new song in choir last night. The words for two verses were written in the gap between the treble clef lines for the two women's sections (two women's parts looked well dodgy written down!) and the bass clef for the two male sections. On the first page I seemed to manage following the words and music fairly well (for my very limited sight reading ability) but as soon as I turned onto page 2 I found it impossible to read both at the same time. Very weird and annoying until the words stuck in my head and I could concentrate on the notes, I can't work out what it was about the page turn that was throwing me.

No widows and orphans?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,372
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,182
    Here is an odd one, or just me being odd.... I cannot recall anything I was dreaming about 2 seconds after wakening. It is a short window to make a conscious effort to remember.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Same
  • I think that's supposed to happen. The more conscious effort to remember, the quicker one forgets.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,633
    Occasionally one will come back just as I'm going to sleep. Something about the state of mind brings it back I guess.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Pross
    rjsterry said:
    Am I the only person in the UK who hasn't dreamt of my teeth falling out? One I get quite often is doing the long jump and basically being able to jump as far as I want before landing.

• Blimey, this account has major legs. I might start a thread for it.
  • Pross
    ^ This bit on that link is incorrect:

"The Isle of Man also has no speed limits but unlike Germany and Australia lacks motorways (highways)."

I was thinking that when I've been there I'd seen 30 and 40 limits so checked on Streetview and there are, I think what they mean is that where the national speed limit applies there are no limits (unless you are in your first year after passing your test where the limit is 50mph).
  • Pross said:

"The Isle of Man also has no speed limits but unlike Germany and Australia lacks motorways (highways)."

I was thinking that when I've been there I'd seen 30 and 40 limits so checked on Streetview and there are, I think what they mean is that where the national speed limit applies there are no limits (unless you are in your first year after passing your test where the limit is 50mph).

It’s also out of date for Australia. The Northern Territory marked all in pink as “no limit” used to be the case as you describe. Outside areas with specific limits it was indeed open. Then after some spectacular crashes involving Japanese dentists in Ferrari F40’s in a rally (seriously!) the nannies decided to restrict it all to 130. When *that* change failed to make any change in the road toll, and indeed it kept rising I think, it was decided that as a tourist attraction it made sense to de-restrict some sections of road again altogether. Bring the petrol-heads in for an occasional fang, and take their money to stay somewhere for the privilege.

‘There are a few hundred km of highway where you can legally drive at any speed. The rest is still limited.

Mind you, the practicality of it is silly. Cars at maximum speed typically guzzle fuel, and out there, supplies are limited and expensive. Roadside critters however are abundant…fancy hitting a full grown ‘roo at 200km/h? 😀
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • pinno

Pross said:

It’s also out of date for Australia. The Northern Territory marked all in pink as “no limit” used to be the case as you describe. Outside areas with specific limits it was indeed open. Then after some spectacular crashes involving Japanese dentists in Ferrari F40’s in a rally (seriously!) the nannies decided to restrict it all to 130. When *that* change failed to make any change in the road toll, and indeed it kept rising I think, it was decided that as a tourist attraction it made sense to de-restrict some sections of road again altogether. Bring the petrol-heads in for an occasional fang, and take their money to stay somewhere for the privilege.

‘There are a few hundred km of highway where you can legally drive at any speed. The rest is still limited.

Mind you, the practicality of it is silly. Cars at maximum speed typically guzzle fuel, and out there, supplies are limited and expensive. Roadside critters however are abundant…fancy hitting a full grown ‘roo at 200km/h? 😀
    About 4 to 5 people per annum are killed from hitting a Moose with a vehicle in Sweden.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    pinno said:

Pross said:

About 4 to 5 people per annum are killed from hitting a Moose with a vehicle in Sweden.
    Hence the moose test in Sweden that the original Mercedes A Class failed
  • pinno

pinno said:

Pross said:

Hence the moose test in Sweden that the original Mercedes A Class failed
    50 secs in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_loQbCIePrM

• pblakeney
    Ever wondered who the bot voice is?
    I have an answer and his name is James.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NqrMWlU3go
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

I have no words.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,996
    It is almost, and I mean almost, as bad as Ronaldo 2002.
  • First.Aspect
    But if anyone is struggling for a caption composition photo....
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    If there was ever a trend that encapsulated the phrase "just because you can, doesn't mean you should" better, I'm not too sure what it is.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,116
    And even worse than this...

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,619
    Came across this sign today. Oxymoron? What do you do?

• First.Aspect
    It isnt a real sign I dont think so if its on the public highway, get the council to remove it?

If its in someone's driveway, go past at whatever speed you want but no more than the actual speed limit.
  • pblakeney
    masjer said:

Looks uphill, so struggle to try and maintain 20 mph. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,619
    It's on a no through road about a mile long, so you could get up to a good speed.
  • Pross
    masjer said:

Non-compliant with the Traffic Signs Regulations on several fronts so actually illegal for it be in public highway unless it went through special approval (which I seriously doubt). Looks like something a local resident or parish council chucked up without knowing the rules.

Crash into it and sue them.
  • pblakeney
    masjer said:

It's on a no through road about a mile long, so you could get up to a good speed.

You've clearly never seen me cycle uphill. 🤣
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pinno
    Pross said:

masjer said:

Non-compliant with the Traffic Signs Regulations on several fronts so actually illegal for it be in public highway unless it went through special approval (which I seriously doubt). Looks like something a local resident or parish council chucked up without knowing the rules.

Crash into it and sue them.
    Maybe they are fed up of speeding motorists.
    I am currently in a fight with the local council in an attempt to put a 40 limit on the road I live on which is between a roundabout and the local village. It's a B road
    But... (as you probably know), this requires:
    High incidents of speeding (well, that's a no because the cops never police it)
    Regular accidents (there have been and there was a fatality some years ago).
    ...and the question will it slow down traffic (impede flow) as it's a through road? (despite the fact that it's a B road and there's no urban areas beyond the village).
    If you stick to the proposed 40mph limit, it will take you an extra 23 seconds to get to the village there as opposed to 60mph. Boo hoo.

Families often cycle by often with young children. Every resident between here and the village is fed up of how difficult it can be getting out of their drives (including myself). There is a wetland that can be accessed by walking using the road but it's often perilous. There was an accident recently where a car pulled out of a drive only to find another car overtaking a truck.
    The owner of horses has given up using it whilst riding.

How hard can it be to just slap a frikkin 40mph limit on it when locally, there are very similar stretches of road with 40 limits?
  • Pross
    Yeah, police generally only support a speed limit when it is self-enforcing I.e. they don’t have to bother doing anything.