Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,116
    pinno said:

Pross said:

masjer said:

Came across this sign today. Oxymoron? What do you do?

Non-compliant with the Traffic Signs Regulations on several fronts so actually illegal for it be in public highway unless it went through special approval (which I seriously doubt). Looks like something a local resident or parish council chucked up without knowing the rules.

Crash into it and sue them.
    Maybe they are fed up of speeding motorists.
    I am currently in a fight with the local council in an attempt to put a 40 limit on the road I live on which is between a roundabout and the local village. It's a B road
    But... (as you probably know), this requires:
    High incidents of speeding (well, that's a no because the cops never police it)
    Regular accidents (there have been and there was a fatality some years ago).
    ...and the question will it slow down traffic (impede flow) as it's a through road? (despite the fact that it's a B road and there's no urban areas beyond the village).
    If you stick to the proposed 40mph limit, it will take you an extra 23 seconds to get to the village there as opposed to 60mph. Boo hoo.

Families often cycle by often with young children. Every resident between here and the village is fed up of how difficult it can be getting out of their drives (including myself). There is a wetland that can be accessed by walking using the road but it's often perilous. There was an accident recently where a car pulled out of a drive only to find another car overtaking a truck.
    The owner of horses has given up using it whilst riding.

How hard can it be to just slap a frikkin 40mph limit on it when locally, there are very similar stretches of road with 40 limits?
    Why don't you do what quite a few grumpy old farts with lots of spare time do: put on a hi-viz jacket and stand at the end of your driveway pointing your OH's hair player at passing motorists? :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 20,053
    Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Pross said:

masjer said:

Non-compliant with the Traffic Signs Regulations on several fronts so actually illegal for it be in public highway unless it went through special approval (which I seriously doubt). Looks like something a local resident or parish council chucked up without knowing the rules.

I am currently in a fight with the local council in an attempt to put a 40 limit on the road I live on which is between a roundabout and the local village. It's a B road
    ...and the question will it slow down traffic (impede flow) as it's a through road? (despite the fact that it's a B road and there's no urban areas beyond the village).
    If you stick to the proposed 40mph limit, it will take you an extra 23 seconds to get to the village there as opposed to 60mph. Boo hoo.

Families often cycle by often with young children. Every resident between here and the village is fed up of how difficult it can be getting out of their drives (including myself). There is a wetland that can be accessed by walking using the road but it's often perilous. There was an accident recently where a car pulled out of a drive only to find another car overtaking a truck.

How hard can it be to just slap a frikkin 40mph limit on it when locally, there are very similar stretches of road with 40 limits?
    Why don't you do what quite a few grumpy old farts with lots of spare time do: put on a hi-viz jacket and stand at the end of your driveway pointing your OH's hair player at passing motorists? :)

Although I know it was not the HGV driver's fault, cases like this one perhaps give people reason to be just a little grumpy about too much & too fast traffic in villages on through roads:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/nov/02/girl-seven-died-after-cycling-into-hgv-outside-wiltshire-home-inquest-hears
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,204
    Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Pross said:

masjer said:

Mrs P sometimes takes the girls to the park and the wetlands. There has been 3 close calls this year alone where they have had to get off the road and on to the verge in a hurry. Now the light is low, I forbid her to walk there.
    A few idiots have actually hit the roundabout coming form the village. I rescued 1 drunken tw@t out of the drivers side window at am in the morning - the car was in a ditch, on it's side. He got done and got a 3 year ban.
    The lady in question with her horses had a driver come up behind her too fast, had to swerve and then started beeping the horn at her (as if it was her fault), the horse reared and she got spat off the back.
    Some years ago, I had a friend who was the passenger in a car and another car came around a bend on the wrong side of the road and he was killed.
    One Sunday morning in the 00's, 2 blokes were racing and one hit the roundabout, Except that there were 3 boys on the roundabout having cycled there. A 10 year old was hit and was thrown 30 ft. He suffered life changing head injuries and is paraplegic with severe cognitive impairment.
    It was only 4 weeks ago that the local garage mechanic tried to pull out just when a car was overtaking a truck (and I have no idea why - the distance to the village is less than 3/4 of a mile and he would have been approaching a bend blind once he got passed the truck) and crashed into the mechanic in a customers car. The excess on the garage's insurance is £2.5k, so most of the repair costs come out of his pocket plus an increase on his premium.
    The farmer (our house sits on the corner of his land) next door has had countless incidents whilst trying to move livestock across the road.

Knowing that there is no police presence, drivers get to the roundabout and floor it. This is the least of the issues but not to be dismissed: the noise of boy racers of a summers evening doing doughnuts and just simply going past with their extraordinary noisy exhausts is unbelievable. Quiet in the countryside? Yeah right.

If this was occurring on your doorstep, you wouldn't be so flippant.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Pross said:

masjer said:

Mrs P sometimes takes the girls to the park and the wetlands. There has been 3 close calls this year alone where they have had to get off the road and on to the verge in a hurry. Now the light is low, I forbid her to walk there.
    A few idiots have actually hit the roundabout coming form the village. I rescued 1 drunken tw@t out of the drivers side window at am in the morning - the car was in a ditch, on it's side. He got done and got a 3 year ban.
    The lady in question with her horses had a driver come up behind her too fast, had to swerve and then started beeping the horn at her (as if it was her fault), the horse reared and she got spat off the back.
    Some years ago, I had a friend who was the passenger in a car and another car came around a bend on the wrong side of the road and he was killed.
    One Sunday morning in the 00's, 2 blokes were racing and one hit the roundabout, Except that there were 3 boys on the roundabout having cycled there. A 10 year old was hit and was thrown 30 ft. He suffered life changing head injuries and is paraplegic with severe cognitive impairment.
    It was only 4 weeks ago that the local garage mechanic tried to pull out just when a car was overtaking a truck (and I have no idea why - the distance to the village is less than 3/4 of a mile and he would have been approaching a bend blind once he got passed the truck) and crashed into the mechanic in a customers car. The excess on the garage's insurance is £2.5k, so most of the repair costs come out of his pocket plus an increase on his premium.
    The farmer (our house sits on the corner of his land) next door has had countless incidents whilst trying to move livestock across the road.

Knowing that there is no police presence, drivers get to the roundabout and floor it. This is the least of the issues but not to be dismissed: the noise of boy racers of a summers evening doing doughnuts and just simply going past with their extraordinary noisy exhausts is unbelievable. Quiet in the countryside? Yeah right.

My advice above stands then...might slow them down a bit.

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Pross said:

masjer said:

Although I know it was not the HGV driver's fault, cases like this one perhaps give people reason to be just a little grumpy about too much & too fast traffic in villages on through roads:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/nov/02/girl-seven-died-after-cycling-into-hgv-outside-wiltshire-home-inquest-hears
    Very sad - looking at the report looks like the road just isn't built to take vehicles of that size. No mention of speed being a factor that I saw.
  • Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Pross said:

masjer said:

I know it is not the point but I am intrigued that the mechanic's insurance company accepted some of the blame when the other guy was speeding, on the wrong side of the road approaching a blind bend
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,182

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Pross said:

masjer said:

I know it is not the point but I am intrigued that the mechanic's insurance company accepted some of the blame when the other guy was speeding, on the wrong side of the road approaching a blind bend
    Pulling out into oncoming traffic.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Pross said:

masjer said:

...because there is no proof of speeding. The guy overtaking the truck was in his right to overtake (whether it was safe or not is another issue but the white line in the road is broken, not solid). Therefore, the mechanic in the eyes of the highway code was pulling out onto a road where theoretically, the car overtaking had right of way (sort of - he's on the main thoroughfare and therein, lies the ambiguity).
    So the insurance company saw it as a 50/50.

I had an altercation with a driver who came around a roundabout and wasn't indicating when I was cycling towards it, expecting to carry on. I reported him but the police said that once the car was on the roundabout, he had right of way - even though contrary to the highway code, you must make your intentions clear and he should have.

• pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Pross said:

masjer said:

...because there is no proof of speeding. The guy overtaking the truck was in his right to overtake (whether it was safe or not is another issue but the white line in the road is broken, not solid). Therefore, the mechanic in the eyes of the highway code was pulling out onto a road where theoretically, the car overtaking had right of way (sort of - he's on the main thoroughfare and therein, lies the ambiguity).
    So the insurance company saw it as a 50/50.

I had an altercation with a driver who came around a roundabout and wasn't indicating when I was cycling towards it, expecting to carry on. I reported him but the police said that once the car was on the roundabout, he had right of way - even though contrary to the highway code, you must make your intentions clear and he should have.

makes sense but insurance companies do seem very happy to go 50/50
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,372
    edited November 2022
    If the cost of the claim is <£20k for two second hand cars, it will very very quickly become more expensive to argue about it than split the bill.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pblakeney
    rjsterry said:

If the cost of the claim is <£20k for two second hand cars, it will very very quickly become more expensive to argue about it than split the bill.</p>

Not to mention that is 2 set of premiums increasing instead of one.
    (I think)
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    edited November 2022
    The ITV shop selling merchandise to support I’m a kn*b get me out of here. Who the f*ck would buy a sweat shirt with the name of someone in the bloody show on it.
  • pinno
    rjsterry said:

If the cost of the claim is <£20k for two second hand cars, it will very very quickly become more expensive to argue about it than split the bill.</p>

Yes but unfortunately, the garage owner will see doubling of his premium if he claims and will have to fork out the initial £2.5k excess anyway.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,372
    I'm not sure the insurer is too bothered.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet
    How the Telegraph cannot spot the problem with the headline in this article, given the last paragraph in it:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/11/16/restricting-speed-limits-20mph-towns-does-little-prevent-road/

• pblakeney

How the Telegraph cannot spot the problem with the headline in this article, given the last paragraph in it:

Telegraph is more interested in damage to cars than damage to people?
    Nuts.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • briantrumpet
    pblakeney said:

Telegraph is more interested in damage to cars than damage to people?
    Nuts.

What the headline didn't consider...

“In general, the mean speed pre-implementation across most streets was below 20mph, which questions if a 20mph speed limit intervention was necessary in Belfast city centre”

But, hey, they got their headline to make the average Telegraph reader feel happy.
  • experts from Queen’s University Belfast found that although the limits reduce traffic volume they do little to stop accidents - largely because they are often ignored.

Try suggesting more speed cameras in The Telegraph.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,619
    If pedestrians wore more suitable clothing, most of these issues would disappear.

• briantrumpet
    Why Chrome's spellchecker turns itself off every couple of days yet there are only a couple of inconclusive threads about it that I've found online.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    I suspect this is probably already in this thread somewhere but still: The "Middle of Lidl"

At what point did they think "I know the thing people really need when doing the weekly shop is a welding kit"

There may be a fine line between genius and insanity but I'm pretty sure they're balanced on it.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    JimD666 said:

I suspect this is probably already in this thread somewhere but still: The "Middle of Lidl"

At what point did they think "I know the thing people really need when doing the weekly shop is a welding kit"

There may be a fine line between genius and insanity but I'm pretty sure they're balanced on it.

Isn’t the Lidl/Aldi model based on those Continental supermarkets where you can buy anything. I remember when visiting my daughter in Germany being bemused by the fact you could get a set of winter car wheels complete with tyres in the supermarket.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227
    Reading this article on the crypto collapsed FTX. Others exist, choose whichever you fancy.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/nov/19/polyamory-penthouses-and-plenty-of-loans-inside-the-crazy-world-of-ftx

Shakes head. Humans eh? Now could I engineer multi billions off NFTs of tulips? Bugrit, let that secret out...

• As you can tell by my post count I don't really have much to say. I spend more time just lurking really, mainly for the comedy value.

However, one thing that I've noticed time and time again, and it does indeed intrigue me is @sungod daily cryptic thread title choice.

I've been in suspense long enough now, come on sun-god.
  • pinno
    bonk_king said:

As you can tell by my post count I don't really have much to say. I spend more time just lurking really, mainly for the comedy value.

However, one thing that I've noticed time and time again, and it does indeed intrigue me is @sungod daily cryptic thread title choice.

It's not cryptic. You can Google (almost) all of it.
    Yesterday was https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nehmes_Bastet
    ...and reference to Ra which was the ancient Egyptian...?
  • Stevo_666
    pinno said:

bonk_king said:

As you can tell by my post count I don't really have much to say. I spend more time just lurking really, mainly for the comedy value.

I think he's more interested in what sg smokes to come up with the thread titles :)
  • Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

bonk_king said:

I think he's more interested in what sg smokes to come up with the thread titles :)
    Yes indeed. I was thinking there must be a "third party" involved to help him conjure up his daily conundrums.

• Also, everyday of the year he seems to get a ride in! He must single handedly keep the cafe afloat during these trying economic times. The amount of cake he consumes is probably the reason he needs to ride everyday! He seems to have "bubbly" most days and "WFH".

This guys living the dream, lol.
  • Stevo_666
    bonk_king said:

He seems to have "bubbly" most days and "WFH".

This guys living the dream, lol.

Soda Streams are still very useful things to have at home :)
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    Wtf is an interactive zip? Does it respond somehow when you use it, or is it just bollox?