Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Doing one full blown 2 minute effort would be like doing a 2 minute race. So repeated efforts at less than 100% would be better for training I suspect.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Maximal sessions should be just that!

You should peak on about your 3rd rep. Fully warmed up and got your eye in on what you can sustain for 2mins to be empty but not blown up.

From 4th or 5th, if you tail off too much, stop, get fitter and only do a full set when you don’t tail off too much.
  • If you do a single max 2 minute effort, you will need to recover for almost the rest of your session.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited October 2022

If you do a single max 2 minute effort, you will need to recover for almost the rest of your session.

Yeah, so I ask as in my WFH lunchtimes I have a 25-30 min ride depending on lights - I head out, go up a 2-3 minute "hill" and head home again.

After the hill, traffic & lights etc allow for 2 more efforts after the hill, each one shorter than the previous.

I vary it up, sometimes I go up the hill 90%, but today I absolute annihilated myself at the top, and f*cked myself totally for the rest of the ride. You know, almost throwing up at the top, could barely keep myself from falling over when I did stop, just feeling utterly horrendous.

Always wonder if I'm getting any benefit out of that, beyond obviously being on my bike for a bit.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,049
    edited October 2022
    https://www.trainerroad.com/forum/t/how-to-build-2-minute-power-most-time-effectively/60201

I've not read the above, just a very quick google result.

My hunch is if you don't evenly pace a 2min effort, your will eat massively into your anaerobic capacity.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • webboo

If you do a single max 2 minute effort, you will need to recover for almost the rest of your session.

Yeah, so I ask as in my WFH lunchtimes I have a 25-30 min ride depending on lights - I head out, go up a 2-3 minute "hill" and head home again.

After the hill, traffic & lights etc allow for 2 more efforts after the hill, each one shorter than the previous.

I vary it up, sometimes I go up the hill 90%, but today I absolute annihilated myself at the top, and f*cked myself totally for the rest of the ride. You know, almost throwing up at the top, could barely keep myself from falling over when I did stop, just feeling utterly horrendous.

Always wonder if I'm getting any benefit out of that, beyond obviously being on my bike for a bit.
    Instead of researching stuff that you can post to try and wind Stevo up. You could google, 30 minute cycling workouts. You might find something that suits and has a bit of science behind it.
  • rick_chasey
    edited October 2022
    I always find training stuff to "optimise" it. I'm more curious what impact my sub-optimal training has, that's all. If you can even call it training. It's just a bike ride.

I don't want to know the impact of 2x2 20 times is. I was just curious what absolutely nailing yourself in a one and done effort did, that was all.
  • I think you are getting a benefit out of it, it's basically a single race effort. It's like an 800m runner doing an 800m run at full effort. It won't be something they do in training, they'd maybe do a session with three efforts about half that length, with a long recovery between.

I'd try and do that level over three one minute efforts in that space of time with as much recovery as possible. If you don't have the time to fully recover, you are training your ability to go repeatedly when not fully recovered, which means your first effort shouldn't feel like you are about to keel over.
  • webboo

I always find training stuff to "optimise" it. I'm more curious what impact my sub-optimal training has, that's all. If you can even call it training. It's just a bike ride.

I don't want to know the impact of 2x2 20 times is. I was just curious what absolutely nailing yourself in a one and done effort did, that was all.

I would think that if you did your one two minute max effort several times a week you would be digging your self into a hole training wise.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,405
    I would suggest you pace it at an effort where your can just about complete the final set with all sets being consistent and allow recovery of somewhere between 50% and 200% of the interval length. Getting "fitter" is obviously quite a vague concept and different length / intensity intervals will boost different types of fitness. I'm mainly a runner these days but if I'm trying to improve speed endurance for a 5k I'll be doing shorter reps at a higher pace than my 5k target whereas if I'm trying to get faster at a half marathon I might do 1k or 1 mile reps at 10k pace. Mix it up a bit, if you say you have 10 minutes for your workout section maybe do something like 5 x 1min (rest 1 minute) or 3 x 2 minute (off 2 minute). Problem is with such a short time for the session you are obviously a bit restricted on the length of rep you can manage.

If you were racing then you'd probably be looking at lots of short, sharp efforts for road / circuit racing but something like 2 x 20 minutes for time trialling.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,372

Doesn't sound like much fun so beyond a few calories burnt I'm not sure what the upside could be.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    Just a mind over matter thing. Am I gonna be a p*ssy and not give it everything, or am I gonna leave it all out on the road?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,204
    Can't you get a Turbo Trainer?
    Then, you're not travelling to the place you need to 'train' and eating into time.

Also, the TT with it's various settings (fluid is preferable), gives you lots of interval options.
    30 mins on a TT can be a helluva work out if done properly.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Pross
    Yeah I would probably only do cycling intervals on the trainer these days.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,372

Just a mind over matter thing. Am I gonna be a p*ssy and not give it everything, or am I gonna leave it all out on the road?

Physically I doubt it makes that much difference on its own, so the main reason for doing it would be mental stimulation. Seems to be missing the whole point of going for a ride to me, but if it does it for you, then great.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    pinno said:

Then, you're not travelling to the place you need to 'train' and eating into time.

Also, the TT with it's various settings (fluid is preferable), gives you lots of interval options.

Yeah it’s as much for my head to get out the house tbh.

It’s a thought that occasionally crosses my mind, no biggie.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,204

pinno said:

Yeah it’s as much for my head to get out the house tbh.

It’s a thought that occasionally crosses my mind, no biggie.
    When the little one starts nursery, you'll have a bit more time on your hands. When he/she starts school, you'll have a bit more time at your disposal.

Park the turbo in the shed.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • webboo
    edited November 2022
    The apparent superiority of disc brakes. Yet there is two threads on here about the woes of them.
    They don’t work, they are noisy and a pain in the ar*se to keep running smoothly. I must get some.
  • That's properly messing with my head. Can someone explain how that works??Interestingly my dyslexic colleague just sees straight green lines
  • rick_chasey
    Munsford0 said:

That's properly messing with my head. Can someone explain how that works??Interestingly my dyslexic colleague just sees straight green lines

That's interesting. I see the wavey lines at the edge of my vision but not where I focus, which is presumably the illusion, and I am also dyslexic, so clearly YMMV.

Dyslexia is partly about the ability or lack of to compute symbols effectively, both in terms of translating the shape into the letters and words in your head but also the other way around, sending signals to your hands to create the shape to make the symbol.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 20,053
    Munsford0 said:

That's properly messing with my head. Can someone explain how that works??Interestingly my dyslexic colleague just sees straight green lines

Something to do with how peripheral vision is interpreted/processed by our brains, I think... I assume that the designer of the illusion knows how the interpretation makes assumptions from various signals.
  • It reminds me of the disturbance in peripheral vision which generally precedes a migraine. Maybe that's why I find it so troubling.
  • briantrumpet
    Munsford0 said:

It reminds me of the disturbance in peripheral vision which generally precedes a migraine. Maybe that's why I find it so troubling.

My migraine lights always start bang in the middle, then dissipate outwards. Wierdly, my brain tries to stitch together what's left and leaves people with one eye or no mouth/nose, in a rather Picasso-esque involuntary re-imagining.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,996

Munsford0 said:

Something to do with how peripheral vision is interpreted/processed by our brains, I think... I assume that the designer of the illusion knows how the interpretation makes assumptions from various signals.
    What we think of as peripheral vision is largely extrapolated isn't it? I reckon the irregular background actually itself has faint patterns in it, and the brain tells us these are a continuation of the features we see in the central part of the field of vision.

It is also at least possible that this is something that is nothing to do with dyslexia.
  • briantrumpet

Munsford0 said:

What we think of as peripheral vision is largely extrapolated isn't it? I reckon the irregular background actually itself has faint patterns in it, and the brain tells us these are a continuation of the features we see in the central part of the field of vision.

It is also at least possible that this is something that is nothing to do with dyslexia.

Yes. Can't remember which brain book I read dealt with it (might be Daniel Eagleman's 'Livewired'), but basically it makes stuff up based on sketchy info & guesswork for anything outside central vision.

I like the notion that the brain is a scientist, which has the body as its probe to the outside world, and uses the incoming electrical signals to create a model of the world through which the body can navigate (mostly) safely. The model is continually being tested and refined, but certain bits of conditioning are so ingrained (such as learning to interpret shadows and 3D) mean you cannot overcome that conditioning (see, 'checker shadow illusion' and 'turning the tables')

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Checker_shadow_illusion
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shepard_tables
  • Still the UAP/UFO sightings off/from the US Nimitz by fighter pilots and crew.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    It’s intriguing how so many high profile UFO sightings involve US service personnel.

You could almost be excused for thinking there is an active policy of misinformation.

Which is beautifully simple really. Have enough stuff out there that it’s impossible to separate the fact from the fiction.

Can you imagine being one of the first people to see a stealth bomber?

There was a big triangle flying through the sky…
  • That's a fair point Morstar. The fighter pilots description/sincerity is so compelling though.

Facinating.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 8,066
    edited November 2022
    Banks owned by the Government were quick to issue PPI (indirect quantitative easing) handouts due to false info. I didn't because I'm sensible and saw through the $h1t.

Does everyone get a hand out for the sold fallacy of zero IR rates being the new norm too?

I give up.
  • Pross
    Where the hell did the piece of slate that just landed on my patio come from? Our roof, and all those around us, are tiled!