Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,372
    I think BR's image compression may have done for the illusion.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited October 2022
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/10/181023150029.htm

A gene associated with dyslexia, a learning disorder, may make some athletes less susceptible to concussions, reports a new study from Penn State University and Northwestern Medicine.

he reason for the lower risk may relate to the more diffuse way the dyslexic brain is wired, said co-corresponding author Sam Semyon Slobounov, professor of kinesiology and of neurosurgery at Hershey Medical School of Penn State University and director of the Virtual Reality/Traumatic Brain Injury Research Laboratory. "Dyslexia may be neuroprotective, a hypothesis that could be tested," he said.

"In dyslexia, you tend to have less defined wiring for processing spoken and written language," Breiter said. "Dyslexics have a problem with that. Their wiring is more diffuse in this system. Future studies could directly test if diffuse wiring is better able to absorb a shock wave than clearly defined wiring."
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 20,053
    rjsterry said:

Works on my laptop screen if you move your eyes around the grid.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,182
    edited October 2022

rjsterry said:

I see green straight lines, then grey curves underneath if I move my eyes around.
    Curious as to what is "supposed" to be seen.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet
    pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

I see green straight lines, then grey curves underneath if I move my eyes around.

Curvy lines. Really weird. Where the curves are keeps on changing.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

Curvy lines. Really weird. Where the curves are keeps on changing.
    Nope. Stationary straight green lines for me. I'm either too good or lacking something.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227
    iPad screen, lines are shifting / bending all over as move my eyes.

Which reminds me, I've completed about half of the Perception Census, interesting assessment of one's visual, audio reactions. Must do the rest, but prob better left until I've shaken off the immune system response.

Think it's accessible via perceptioncensus.dreamachine.world, but you have to register.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    I presume I am seeing the effect that the illusion is intended to portray.

The natural appearance is of a partial Grid where the lines all diverge off the grid.

The eye sees part of the grid but then follows the pale grey curves as though they are the grid. Unlike some illusions where it is easy to understand why you are tricked, I can’t really see why this one works. But it does.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,405
    I seen the greenish grid amongst a grey, almost stone patterned background. Most of it looks like a grid but when you try to focus on the bits that are curved athey go straight and other bits that were straight look curved.
  • briantrumpet
    morstar said:

The natural appearance is of a partial Grid where the lines all diverge off the grid.

The eye sees part of the grid but then follows the pale grey curves as though they are the grid. Unlike some illusions where it is easy to understand why you are tricked, I can’t really see why this one works. But it does.

Yup, that's it. I like the fact that people with intimate knowledge of how our brains drive our eyes and (mis)interpret the signals coming back can design these to play with the processing of the information to get these weird effects.
  • Pross
    If I squint I can get the whole grid to appear straight.
  • briantrumpet
    Pross said:

Not me.
  • Pross

Pross said:

Not me.
    Can do it by staring at the whole thing without blinking for about 10 seconds as well.
  • briantrumpet
    Has anyone done that thing where you look at your own eyes in a mirror, and keep on looking first at one eye, then the other repeatedly... you cannot see you eyes move, but if you watch someone doing it, you can see their eyes move each time?

• rjsterry

Has anyone done that thing where you look at your own eyes in a mirror, and keep on looking first at one eye, then the other repeatedly... you cannot see you eyes move, but if you watch someone doing it, you can see their eyes move each time?

I have nystagmus which I can't see in the mirror.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    Pross said:

I seen the greenish grid amongst a grey, almost stone patterned background. Most of it looks like a grid but when you try to focus on the bits that are curved athey go straight and other bits that were straight look curved.

I see a greenish grid with slight variation in width of the grid lines. Beneath that is a pattern of whiteish dots on a grey background, clearly in some sort of partial alignment that is rotated by about 15°from the green grid.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,776

morstar said:

Yup, that's it. I like the fact that people with intimate knowledge of how our brains drive our eyes and (mis)interpret the signals coming back can design these to play with the processing of the information to get these weird effects.
    The gold blue dress photo intrigued me more, because it wasn't designed to deceive, but confused everyone nonetheless.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

Or if you stare hard enough you can see someone behind you, but when you turn round there’s no one there. 👻
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    Last time I looked in a mirror there was some old guy looking back. No clue who. Refuse to look again as it freaked me out
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,996
    rjsterry said:

I have no reflection.
  • rjsterry

morstar said:

The gold blue dress photo intrigued me more, because it wasn't designed to deceive, but confused everyone nonetheless.
    Never got the fuss about that. How can something that is just more than one colour be such a big deal?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry

rjsterry said:

I have no reflection.
    I've also realised that each eye perceives colours very slightly differently.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,996
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

I have no reflection.
    So is that like one of those magic eye 3d books from the 80s?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,204
    If I stare it the picture straight, the lines are straight but if I scan the picture, the lines look curved.
    I can see a pattern in the grey behind the grid that must somehow distort the lines of the grid when you are not looking directly at the green lines.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • katani
    katani Posts: 140
    Cycled through the town centre tonight at 8 p.m. with my front light off as the battery had died, but there are modern LED street lamps every 20m and all the brightly lit take away and restaurant windows combined make the streets appear as bright as day. I was wearing a white colour long sleeve top so was well visible too. My rear flashing red light was still on. So intrigued what made pretty much every car coming from the other direction flash their full beam at me to let me know I had no front light.
    If they flash their lights at me from as far as 100m, then that must mean they can clearly see me, so what's the problem?
    I think in well street lamp lit urban areas with a 20/30mph speed limit, riding in a lawful manner and wearing bright coloured clothing and no lights should be far safer than riding with a blinding 1000 lumen lights which seem to be in fashion now, which just confuse drivers as they can't see the cyclist and how far away he/she is, only a very bright, blinding ball of light.

• rjsterry

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

I have no reflection.
    So is that like one of those magic eye 3d books from the 80s?
    No. But a nice illustration differences in perception.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pblakeney
    katani said:

I think in well street lamp lit urban areas with a 20/30mph speed limit, riding in a lawful manner ....

Is it not illegal to ride at night without lights wherever you are?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross
    They were also probably trying to warn you as they would with a car that had forgotten to put their lights on.

I was driving down North Road in Cardiff, one of the main routes into the city centre, at 11pm last Friday. There was one guy riding in the right hand lane with no rear light and wearing dark clothes. Luckily I was driving well within the speed limit and saw him at the last minute. Further down the road I passed two Deliveroo cyclists with no rear light and dark clothing. Given they are riding all night they must have a death wish, oddly they did have front lights.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,204
    Some single flashing rear's are irritating in pitch black - can't pin point their position especially whilst driving in heavy rain. The light seems to spread.
    I use orange tinted specs at night. This helps enormously. My whinge is SUV's and their headlight height. They're especially bad when they are coming over a rise towards you.
    Modern Halogen (and other gas) headlights are a pretty sharp white/blue.

New(ish) MOT rules: ‘Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs.'
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited October 2022
    Cycling related but I don't want hardcore answers:

Say you have a 25 minute ride, and you want to work on your top end, sub 2min efforts and 10 min warm up.

Do you get more 'gain' so to speak, by doing a monster 2 min effort that absolutely annihilates you, and so the subsequent efforts just aren't up there because you left it all out on the road on the first effort, or do you get more gain by reining it in a bit and doing more efforts at more like 90%