Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    orraloon said:

Waiting in the consultancy room in the NHS hospital today, desk has a current model thin wide screen in standby mode, saying Windows 7. 7! That's the one after Vista in the late 00s... how retro. How's their security levels etc?

Windows 7 was well liked by IT pros as was reliable and secure.
    But support did end in 2020 so it is a bit of a risk for sure.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 20,055
    That Italians have high-rise cemeteries to store coffins of the dead.

Don't they get a bit whiffy?

Anyway, some are falling down.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/oct/18/coffins-left-hanging-in-air-after-second-naples-cemetery-collapse-this-year

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,996
    Catholicism does present land use issues over time. It is a sensible solution, if suitably engineered.
  • briantrumpet

Catholicism does present land use issues over time. It is a sensible solution, if suitably engineered.

Things do have a habit of collapsing in Italy... a cemetery here, a bridge there, a dam somewhere else...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponte_Morandi

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gleno_Dam
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,996

Things do have a habit of collapsing in Italy... a cemetery here, a bridge there, a dam somewhere else...

Indeed. At least on this occasion no one died.
  • briantrumpet

Indeed. At least on this occasion no one died.

Well, they did, but prior to the collapse.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,205
    I wonder what the average age of the regulars on here are 'cos they seem to all go to bed before 11.
    It's tumbleweed town after then.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,182
    pinno said:

I wonder what the average age of the regulars on here are 'cos they seem to all go to bed before 11.

I start work at 06:30 so I can finish early. Can I be excused? 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,410
    pinno said:

No-one is paying me to post before 9am and after 5.30pm so think of anything outside those hours as unpaid overtime.
  • briantrumpet
    What is the point of 'Red Velvet' cake? I've never had one that actually tastes of anything at all...
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,116
    Pross said:

pinno said:

No-one is paying me to post before 9am and after 5.30pm so think of anything outside those hours as unpaid overtime.
    Do you also wait until you get to work before you take a dump?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Pross
    Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

pinno said:

Whenever possible. Before I started working from home it was even better as I got to use their paper.

I used to work with someone who seemed to genuinely do that, regular as clockwork he would come in, put his stuff on his desk and head off with his newspaper. It would then render the toilet unusable for the next hour.
  • morstar
    Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

pinno said:

Whenever possible. Before I started working from home it was even better as I got to use their paper.

I used to work with someone who seemed to genuinely do that, regular as clockwork he would come in, put his stuff on his desk and head off with his newspaper. It would then render the toilet unusable for the next hour.
    We had an IT guy who was a gamer and stayed up all night gaming quite regularly.
    It became apparent he was nodding off in the toilet quite regularly.
    Had he done it one of the communal toilets, he may have got away with it for a bit longer.
    Using the single toilet upstairs was a bit of a giveaway when it was engaged for loooongggg periods of time.
    As he was a temp. he was a bit stuffed when found out.
  • Stevo_666
    Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

pinno said:

True, occupational hazard of work bogs is there's always some smelly bar steward with gut problems in the office. Best get an early log in :smile:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • morstar
    Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

pinno said:

True, occupational hazard of work bogs is there's always some smelly bar steward with gut problems in the office. Best get an early log in :smile:
    But doesn’t that make you the person that ruined the toilet for everyone else?
  • morstar
    Who was it recently needed a blender to clear their log?

Don’t fancy that in an office environment.
  • Stevo_666
    morstar said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

pinno said:

But doesn’t that make you the person that ruined the toilet for everyone else?
    Depends whether you're a smelly bar steward with gut problems.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227
    This is more like 'what I have learned today' but...

For whatever trigger remembering as a child / teenager hearing the Scotland supporters chant of '6 foot 2, eyes of blue, big Jim Holton's after you', he played for Man U and others, and doing a google. Poor bugxer died of a heart attack aged 42.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227
    These frequent spambot type posts on this forum. There's one from a 1 poster dasiminick0 on the mortgage fix thread just now. Is the moderation / access on this forum now so open that spammer factories are testing their bots' ability to assess content and post in context-ish stuff?
  • Pross
    People who put their house on the market but don't even do some basic tidying up before the estate agent comes around to take photos. Some look immaculate and I tend to flick through all the photos and closely read the description, others have unmade beds and clutter everywhere that makes me cross them off more or less straightaway. Also, what goes through their heads with decor? I don't mean where it has obviously been owned by an old person and never modified and I know taste is personal but one of them had quite a nice new kitchen with some horrendous wall paper with a brick pattern. Also deleted from the list was one where there was some form of Leave EU certificate taking pride of place on the wall!
  • Pross said:

People who put their house on the market but don't even do some basic tidying up before the estate agent comes around to take photos. Some look immaculate and I tend to flick through all the photos and closely read the description, others have unmade beds and clutter everywhere that makes me cross them off more or less straightaway. Also, what goes through their heads with decor? I don't mean where it has obviously been owned by an old person and never modified and I know taste is personal but one of them had quite a nice new kitchen with some horrendous wall paper with a brick pattern. Also deleted from the list was one where there was some form of Leave EU certificate taking pride of place on the wall!

Now I thought I am intolerant but would never rule out buying a property because I thought the current owner was a tvvat.

But then I am the only person in the world who would rather view a property empty as I can picture how I would live there, also looks twice as big so they would have more chance of mugging me off
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,182

Pross said:

Now I thought I am intolerant but would never rule out buying a property because I thought the current owner was a tvvat.

But then I am the only person in the world who would rather view a property empty as I can picture how I would live there, also looks twice as big so they would have more chance of mugging me off
    You are not the only one. Current decor is irrelevant as it will be changed or freshened up at least anyway, unless current owner happens to have identical taste. #rare
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet

Pross said:

Both the houses I've bought have been empty. I didn't let the wallpaper put me off...

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,372
    That is quite the thing.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Pross

Pross said:

It was a slight exaggeration, I’d already ruled it out for a couple of other reasons. I’m only half looking and it has to be close to exactly what I want to go through the whole hassle of the process. I want a large garden or bit of land but the house still has to be right, the alternative is something with maybe a smaller garden but where I can get straight out into the countryside. There used to be a lot of that sort of thing in some of the valleys towns and villages near here but nothing much is coming to market.

We did see one we liked a few weeks ago where we would have compromised on only having 2 bedrooms but it sold before we took in any further and I saw a place I love today but it would be stretching the budget at a time where stretching the budget doesn’t seem wise.

I do look beyond decor providing I can change it without too much work but still can’t understand people not tidying up a bit before getting the publicity shots done or having the house cluttered so it looks small.
  • Pross said:

Both the houses I've bought have been empty. I didn't let the wallpaper put me off...

why did you do the shelves??
  • briantrumpet
    rjsterry said:

That is quite the thing.

So are migraines. Fortunately the paper had been attached with little more than a bit of hope, so it all came off, almost in entire pieces, in about 10 minutes.

I probably missed a trick by not turning into some French conceptual art.
  • Pross
    edited October 2022

Pross said:

What was it like before you decorated?

Ah, beaten to the obvious joke by SC
  • briantrumpet
    Pross said:

Pross said:

What was it like before you decorated?

Haha. The shelves were the crowning glory.

In fact, this was one of just three photos the notaire had, and they were the sole selling agents. When I asked if they could take some better ones before I decided whether to travel down to see it (their office is just 10 minutes down the road, and there was only one other photo of the house, and one of the garden), the curt answer was "Non". Maybe why it had been on the market for two years and dropped 20% in price (and they still took an offer 5% under that).

Still, that paper was worth travelling 1700 miles for.