Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,996

Some people seem to think animals are in any way equivalent. They’re not.

And yet you claim to care about preserving the natural world. Why?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

Biodiversity is important for sustainability.

The whole bio system in nature is not fully understood so we don’t know what impact making irreversible damage will do.

So for now best not to make any irreversible damage.
  • First.Aspect

The whole bio system in nature is not fully understood so we don’t know what impact making irreversible damage will do.

Fair enough.
  • Munsford0
    Munsford0 Posts: 677

Too late, we already did :'(
  • rjsterry said:

Eh? Are you insane? Poor to middling at everything else? Compared to what?

Like an animal could even conceive of the premise let alone discuss it.

Other animals. censored sapiens has an unusually narrow genetic diversity indicative of almost going extinct. Our closest relative did go extinct.

We can't run or jump or swim very well. We have no great physical strength. Our senses are pretty average. We get cold easily and need a lot of ccalories to function. It's a good job we can make tools and use them so well or we'd be screwed.

Consider also that a mouse can easily outwit our attempts to catch it.
    man can run a marathon faster than any other animal (this may be a myth)
    Man vs lion over a marathon course, my money's on the lion. Even though it might take him a few days.

Apparently an ostrich would beat any human in a fair race over the marathon distance. By an hour.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,805
    edited October 2022

rjsterry said:

Other animals. censored sapiens has an unusually narrow genetic diversity indicative of almost going extinct. Our closest relative did go extinct.

We can't run or jump or swim very well. We have no great physical strength. Our senses are pretty average. We get cold easily and need a lot of ccalories to function. It's a good job we can make tools and use them so well or we'd be screwed.

Man vs lion over a marathon course, my money's on the lion. Even though it might take him a few days.

Apparently an ostrich would beat any human in a fair race over the marathon distance. By an hour.
    Humans can run 100 miles or more in 24 hours. We can also do it in both hot and cold conditions.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,619
    He used to be the most powerful man on the planet.

This is orange too, but more impressive.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,411

Well when they can build a rival society, complete with associated technology, you can tell me I’m wrong ✌🏻

It's lucky we can do those things so well as humans otherwise large parts of the world might be struggling with finding food and water whilst other parts wasted huge amounts of natural resources or parts of the world might do things that create an impact on climate that threatens other parts of the planet's existance entirely. Thank God for human society and technology
  • mrb123 said:

rjsterry said:

Humans can run 100 miles or more in 24 hours. We can also do it in both hot and cold conditions.
    Speak for yourself.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,205
    'Superior' ?!

Wow.

Maybe on an individual basis but as a race we have gone beyond parasitic.
    Intelligent parasites don't kill their host.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 20,055

mrb123 said:

rjsterry said:

Speak for yourself.

One of the counter arguments against human intelligence is that some people still choose to run, despite the invention of the wheel & the bicycle.
  • pinno

mrb123 said:

rjsterry said:

Speak for yourself.

One of the counter arguments against human intelligence is that some people still choose to run, despite the invention of the wheel & the bicycle.
    This is true.
    However, some less intelligent individuals cycle.
    Mind boggling.
  • Pross

mrb123 said:

rjsterry said:

Speak for yourself.

It's even worse than that, some of us (oops, I mean 'them' of course!) have a shed full of bikes gathering dust and still opt to run. Weirdos!
  • briantrumpet
    Pross said:

mrb123 said:

rjsterry said:

Speak for yourself.

It's even worse than that, some of us (oops, I mean 'them' of course!) have a shed full of bikes gathering dust and still opt to run. Weirdos!

Any *they* do it knowing that'll it'll mess up their knees too. Idiots.
  • I'm not sure if you could train an ostrich to ride a bike.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,372
    edited October 2022

Physically. And we don't have particularly sharp senses. Or wits, if this thread is anything to go by.
    We can fly higher than any bird, go faster than any animal. We go into space. We are more self aware, more intellectually capable than any animal by a long way.

We have the capability to pretty much exterminate any animal we want within reason and even if we couldn’t i would back humans to be able to if they wanted in pretty short order.

Our being is so much more advanced than any animal our lives and meanings have moved far beyond thoughts animals are even capable of.

The fact we can even experiment on animals to understand their own self awareness just underlines our superiority.

We really can't fly. We have made a thing that can fly, which is not same thing at all.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry

Sounds like you don't really understand it at all.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    And?
  • briantrumpet

And?

I think that's a good way to end this particular strand of thought...
  • Pross
    Rick, we're not even capable of getting a train service to run on time (or at all). Do you really think we're so superior? Animals learn to do what they need to survive, the vast majority of humans rely on others being able to do stuff for them so they can survive. In a world where the ability to fend for yourself was essential the likes of JRM would be among the first casualties so I'm not quite sure human civilisation is that superior.
  • Pross said:

Rick, we're not even capable of getting a train service to run on time (or at all). Do you really think we're so superior? Animals learn to do what they need to survive, the vast majority of humans rely on others being able to do stuff for them so they can survive. In a world where the ability to fend for yourself was essential the likes of JRM would be among the first casualties so I'm not quite sure human civilisation is that superior.

I think that is Rick's point that we have evolved past the stage of spending each day finding shelter and something to eat.

As Elon does not have to spend several hours a day catching his dinner he has time to build a rocket to go to Mars
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,776
    I saw a TV programme recently where someone was trying to snare a fox with bait. The wily fox was nearly caught but learnt from its mistake, so didn't repeat it. It thus demonstrated greater evolutionary skills than some posters on BR who cannot let the bait go.
  • Pross

Pross said:

I think that is Rick's point that we have evolved past the stage of spending each day finding shelter and something to eat.

As Elon does not have to spend several hours a day catching his dinner he has time to build a rocket to go to Mars
    Which is great until there is some apocalyptical event, which feels increasingly likely, that requires the use of those basic survival skills everyone has neglected to to the incredible human progress. You only have to look at how difficult some people found "lockdown".
  • rjsterry
    edited October 2022

Pross said:

That's not evolution, that is incrementally building on the achievements of others. Our brains are the same as they were in the Paleolithic. Our ability to do these hasn't really changed. It's one of the big mysteries why modern humans didn't invent very much for tens of thousands of years when change has come so quickly over the last couple of millenia.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,917
    I spent a while trying to fashion a flint axe head (or indeed anything vaguely tool like) at the weekend on the request of my daughter.
    Those cavemen were clever guys
  • pinno
    monkimark said:

I spent a while trying to fashion a flint axe head (or indeed anything vaguely tool like) at the weekend on the request of my daughter.

I expect that it would take more than a weekend to become a proper caveman.
  • rjsterry
    edited October 2022
    monkimark said:

This. I've tried a few times and just end up with smaller bits of misshapen flint.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• First.Aspect
    Is anyone here capable of making fire (without a technological aid)?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,182

I tried.
    I failed.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey

Which animals do this?