Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,619
    edited October 2022
    Most of human achievement is through collective knowledge. Can a single human make a smartphone?
    https://youtu.be/aekUZ3PYKNU
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    pblakeney said:

Well when they can build a rival society, complete with associated technology, you can tell me I’m wrong ✌🏻

I'd argue that most animals have a much better society than western world humans, without the need of technology.
    Lol ok
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,996
    edited October 2022
    pblakeney said:

Well when they can build a rival society, complete with associated technology, you can tell me I’m wrong ✌🏻

I'd argue that most animals have a much better society than western world humans, without the need of technology.
    Technology is a veneer of knowledge built on knowledge. No one human has that much of the total knowledge available to them. So, for example, if you were to drop a recruitment agent into a rainforest to fend for themselves for a while, you would probably see them living a lot more like a lower primate than you might imagine if you'd met them on the train into London.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,619
    edited October 2022

Yeah people interest me. Animals don’t.

We all coo when they do one thing that any human over the age of 5 can do like it’s amazing.

They’re playing in one dimension, we’re playing in 3.

Not remotely comparable.

Our thoughts and actions are several orders more complex and sophisticated than animals.

Crows are thought to have the intelligence equivalent to a 7 year old child.
    Maybe they should rethink the insult, bird brain. It might actually be a compliment for some.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,372

We all coo when they do one thing that any human over the age of 5 can do like it’s amazing.

Not remotely comparable.

Our thoughts and actions are several orders more complex and sophisticated than animals.

You are just another animal, however overdeveloped your sence of superiority is.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pblakeney said:

Lol ok
    I am not sure where Rick is going with this but I think he has a point on the society front
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,182
    edited October 2022

pblakeney said:

Lol ok
    I am not sure where Rick is going with this but I think he has a point on the society front
    Take away the easy food supply and see how long western society lasts.
    Western society is a thin veneer.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Lol ok
    But the food supplies are managed by people! Created by people!

I will bow to animals and their superiorness when they cage us for their own amusement in zoo equivalents.

• rick_chasey
    edited October 2022
    masjer said:

Not remotely comparable.

Crows are thought to have the intelligence equivalent to a 7 year old child.
    Maybe they should rethink the insult, bird brain. It might actually be a complement for some.
    As intelligent as a whole 7 year old! Wow.

The bar is just so low with animals
  • rjsterry

pblakeney said:

Lol ok

pblakeney said:

Lol ok
    As a historian you are presumably aware that complex societies predate all but the most basic technology. And sure, as a species, our ability to create and use tools is very highly developed. Which is just as well because we're poor to middling on just about everything else.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    Eh? Are you insane? Poor to middling at everything else? Compared to what?

Like an animal could even conceive of the premise let alone discuss it.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,116

I’m glad people care about it so I don’t have to.

Biodiversity and protecting animals is obviously important but I struggle to give any sh!ts beyond my own self interest that We’ll suffer if we neglect it.

Wow.

Although it was only last week that you told me to grow up when I pointed out that people become more tory as they get older. I rest my case :smiley:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    I don’t think even Tories eat people as part of a balanced diet.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Lol ok
    But the food supplies are managed by people! Created by people!

I will bow to animals and their superiorness when they cage us for their own amusement in zoo equivalents.

A good example of how we are not as superior as some would like to think.

Food supplies are generated for money, not the good of society. Yes, I have a low opinion of humans
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rjsterry
    edited October 2022

Other animals. Homo sapiens has an unusually narrow genetic diversity indicative of almost going extinct. Our closest relative did go extinct.

We can't run or jump or swim very well. We have no great physical strength. Our senses are pretty average. We get cold easily and need a lot of ccalories to function. It's a good job we can make tools and use them so well or we'd be screwed.

Consider also that a mouse can easily outwit our attempts to catch it.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Munsford0
    Munsford0 Posts: 677
    Remind me again which species is in the process or royally fcucking up the planet it lives on, possibly to the point it becomes uninhabitable?
  • rick_chasey
    Munsford0 said:

Remind me again which species is in the process or royally fcucking up the planet it lives on, possibly to the point it becomes uninhabitable?

Only because we are so superior we can. Like the Malthusian tendencies of every single other animal is any different.

We actually work to manage and avoid Malthusian situations. We are several orders more self aware than any animal can be.
  • First.Aspect
    This is classic RC debating. Say something extreme, then turn it into something binary.

No one is saying humans aren't the most mentally advanced species. But only you are asserting by just how much, RC. Which is out of date.
  • First.Aspect

Physically. And we don't have particularly sharp senses. Or wits, if this thread is anything to go by.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 20,055
    rjsterry said:

Other animals. censored sapiens has an unusually narrow genetic diversity indicative of almost going extinct. Our closest relative did go extinct.

Please try to avoid using offensive Latin, RJS.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,633
    Rick just keeps on digging.

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Munsford0
    Munsford0 Posts: 677
    What's that pointy thing on his head??
  • First.Aspect

Munsford0 said:

Only because we are so superior we can. Like the Malthusian tendencies of every single other animal is any different.

We actually work to manage and avoid Malthusian situations. We are several orders more self aware than any animal can be.

This is quite Johnsonesque.
  • rick_chasey

Physically. And we don't have particularly sharp senses. Or wits, if this thread is anything to go by.
    We can fly higher than any bird, go faster than any animal. We go into space. We are more self aware, more intellectually capable than any animal by a long way.

We have the capability to pretty much exterminate any animal we want within reason and even if we couldn’t i would back humans to be able to if they wanted in pretty short order.

Our being is so much more advanced than any animal our lives and meanings have moved far beyond thoughts animals are even capable of.

The fact we can even experiment on animals to understand their own self awareness just underlines our superiority.

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    Rick has clearly never seen the Attenborough style documentary Planet of the Apes
  • First.Aspect

We can fly higher than any bird, go faster than any animal. We go into space. We are more self aware, more intellectually capable than any animal by a long way.

We have the capability to pretty much exterminate any animal we want within reason and even if we couldn’t i would back humans to be able to if they wanted in pretty short order.

Our being is so much more advanced than any animal our lives and meanings have moved far beyond thoughts animals are even capable of.

The fact we can even experiment on animals to understand their own self awareness just underlines our superiority.

Who are you arguing with?
  • rick_chasey
    Some people seem to think animals are in any way equivalent. They’re not.
  • pblakeney
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    Good.

So you can see why they’re so interesting. 😜
  • rjsterry said:

Other animals. censored sapiens has an unusually narrow genetic diversity indicative of almost going extinct. Our closest relative did go extinct.

We can't run or jump or swim very well. We have no great physical strength. Our senses are pretty average. We get cold easily and need a lot of ccalories to function. It's a good job we can make tools and use them so well or we'd be screwed.

Consider also that a mouse can easily outwit our attempts to catch it.
    man can run a marathon faster than any other animal (this may be a myth)