Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• And other stuff.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227

Frogs want to escape from your had when caught, while Toads will quietly sit there without struggling.

Evenin' fz, return key busy tonight then?

Last week I evicted a small toad from my garage, from a then damp and now less so corner after workz done. Indeed once caught it stayed still in my hand and even after I put it down on the ground in the hedge line.
  • orraloon said:

Frogs want to escape from your had when caught, while Toads will quietly sit there without struggling.

Evenin' fz, return key busy tonight then?

Last week I evicted a small toad from my garage, from a then damp and now less so corner after workz done. Indeed once caught it stayed still in my hand and even after I put it down on the ground in the hedge line.
    Nice, a smashing sight, Orraloon.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,372

People taking photos of the Mona Lisa.

You can get a studio quality photo of any tourist attraction in the world these days. Taking a censored one yourself is more about recording that you were these. The older you get the more you will value having done so.
    it's great for people like me who forget where they've been.
    I took a photo of the queue.

That feels like a decent reflection of the experience. Next you'll be telling me that you don't understand the people who queue up at Kings Cross for their Harry Potter photo
    No, i get that. At least that's a photo of them, not just the most famous picture in the world.

Not sure I get the Mona Lisa at all.

On the other hand, I remember walking into York Museum, and a painting of an un-named woman staring straight at me from a 400-year-old canvas (I've no idea who the painter was) stopped me dead in my tracks. I'd been bewitched by someone who had been dead for nearly four centuries.
    Saw a tweet the other day from someone who had found a Victorian portrait in a gallery that was the absolute spit of her, which must have been unnerving.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,205
    rjsterry said:

You can get a studio quality photo of any tourist attraction in the world these days. Taking a censored one yourself is more about recording that you were these. The older you get the more you will value having done so.

That feels like a decent reflection of the experience. Next you'll be telling me that you don't understand the people who queue up at Kings Cross for their Harry Potter photo
    No, i get that. At least that's a photo of them, not just the most famous picture in the world.

On the other hand, I remember walking into York Museum, and a painting of an un-named woman staring straight at me from a 400-year-old canvas (I've no idea who the painter was) stopped me dead in my tracks. I'd been bewitched by someone who had been dead for nearly four centuries.
    Saw a tweet the other day from someone who had found a Victorian portrait in a gallery that was the absolute spit of her, which must have been unnerving.
    I wonder if by coincidence, they are related.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,806

Yeah, I had that experience when I saw Meditazione by Hayez in Verona. Might have just been because she had one of her knockers out though.
  • Ze Fallen Madonna with ze big boobies.
  • mrb123

• rjsterry
    pinno said:

rjsterry said:

I wonder if by coincidence, they are related.
    Someone has collected a few together.

https://www.liveabout.com/art-museum-doppelgangers-4154789
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• The concept of hot cross buns?
  • It's global parity day today for all things Earthly, it's going to kick right off. I'm intrigued by the wonderment of the Universe, Planets n $h1t.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,969

It's global parity day today for all things Earthly, it's going to kick right off. I'm intrigued by the wonderment of the Universe, Planets n $h1t.

Yep, me too.

When I retired I bought a telescope. I think a lot of people did during lockdown, they were like rocking horse poo for a while (new). Mine was a second hand bargain.

The furthest object (a galaxy) I've seen so far is 126 million light years away.

But seeing the 'ears' on a little blob that is Saturn is a great thrill too.

The older I get, the better I was.

• pinno
    I'm lucky enough to live away from urban lights and last night the stars were stunning with no moon to spoil them.
  • capt_slog said:

It's global parity day today for all things Earthly, it's going to kick right off. I'm intrigued by the wonderment of the Universe, Planets n $h1t.

Yep, me too.

When I retired I bought a telescope. I think a lot of people did during lockdown, they were like rocking horse poo for a while (new). Mine was a second hand bargain.

The furthest object (a galaxy) I've seen so far is 126 million light years away.

That sound great, it is incredible when you look up at the starry night.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 8,066
    edited September 2022
    pinno said:

I'm lucky enough to live away from urban lights and last night the stars were stunning with no moon to spoil them.

Have you manage to catch any Auroras there yet? That must be a great sight too.
  • I'm told the best way to view the planets is to bend down and look backwards between your legs. If you're lucky you may catch a glimpse of Uranus.
  • Munsford0 said:

I'm told the best way to view the planets is to bend down and look backwards between your legs. If you're lucky you may catch a glimpse of Uranus.

Rubbish, I never saw Sir Patrick Moore do that once!!!!
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,969

capt_slog said:

Yep, me too.

That sound great, it is incredible when you look up at the starry night.
    It is.

You can do it very cheaply if you choose. There are some bargains on Facebook marketplace. I picked mine up for £60

The older I get, the better I was.

• Putting Co-op 'chocolate milk' on my unsweetened muesli... (I bought it the day before The Funeral, as *all* the other milk had gone).

I'm intrigued, because it's not actually as revolting as I feared it might be.
  • mrb123
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-63065942
    Is it just me or was Nazanin's show of solidarity with the women of Iran a bit half hearted? She cuts off about half an inch of split ends. The only thing she forgot was to blame the UK government.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,412
    Decided this was more intriguing than annoying but was a bit of both.

I went to the Indian to pick up a takeaway as it’s my eldest’s birthday. There was a bloke in front of more ordering and his total bill came to £17 something. The takeaway does a discount of 10% for orders over £20 so he then spent several minutes trying to decide what he could add to his order to take it over the magic £20 mark.

He ended up ordering onion bhajis that were £2.60 giving him the 10% discount but leaving his total bill higher than it was originally in return for some bhajis he hadn’t originally wanted. Why would anyone do that?

The annoying element was that I had gone in to pick up a pre-ordered meal and had to stand there for ages while the moron dicked about ‘saving’ a few pence.
  • pinno

pinno said:

Have you manage to catch any Auroras there yet? That must be a great sight too.
    Bloody hell no. During summer, there were dates that the Aurora could be seen in this corner of SW Jockland and on all those dates - cloud.. Much pixxed off. I would love to go to the Arctic circle in Norway to get a proper display.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,633
    Pross said:

Decided this was more intriguing than annoying but was a bit of both.

I went to the Indian to pick up a takeaway as it’s my eldest’s birthday. There was a bloke in front of more ordering and his total bill came to £17 something. The takeaway does a discount of 10% for orders over £20 so he then spent several minutes trying to decide what he could add to his order to take it over the magic £20 mark.

He ended up ordering onion bhajis that were £2.60 giving him the 10% discount but leaving his total bill higher than it was originally in return for some bhajis he hadn’t originally wanted. Why would anyone do that?

The annoying element was that I had gone in to pick up a pre-ordered meal and had to stand there for ages while the moron dicked about ‘saving’ a few pence.

You should have just bhajid in front.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rjsterry
    Why apple crumble so effectively absorbs microwave radiation and converts it to heat.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pinno
    rjsterry said:

Why apple crumble so effectively absorbs microwave radiation and converts it to heat.

'Tis true and much better and less soggy re-heated in the oven.
    My apple trees have been mowstly picked and we have had crumble all week: with custard, with vanilla ice cream and tonight was whipped cream.
  • rjsterry
    Mrs RJS experimented with adding dark chocolate chips to one this week, which was very tasty. Personal preference is to have it with sour cream and add a bit of granola into the crumble for extra crunch.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pinno
    rjsterry said:

Mrs RJS experimented with adding dark chocolate chips to one this week, which was very tasty. Personal preference is to have it with sour cream and add a bit of granola into the crumble for extra crunch.

I can see how sour cream would go well with it.
    I reduce the sugar and add golden syrup + oats. Also ground cloves and nutmeg.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,182
    pinno said:

rjsterry said:

I like a bit of cinnamon and sultanas, with either double cream or ice cream.
    Hmmmm. Could be on the cards for the weekend.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno
    pblakeney said:

pinno said:

rjsterry said:

I like a bit of cinnamon and sultanas...
    What's that - a crumble strudel? :smile:

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,182
    pinno said:

pblakeney said:

pinno said:

rjsterry said:

I like a bit of cinnamon and sultanas...
    What's that - a crumble strudel? :smile:

Pretty much! 😃
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.