Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• pinno said:

rjsterry said:

Mrs RJS experimented with adding dark chocolate chips to one this week, which was very tasty. Personal preference is to have it with sour cream and add a bit of granola into the crumble for extra crunch.

I can see how sour cream would go well with it.
    I reduce the sugar and add golden syrup + oats. Also ground cloves and nutmeg.
    I use cinnamon but will definitely try cloves and nutmeg.

also agree with the tips for adding crunch.

where you buffet grabbing horse eaters are all wrong is that it should only ever be accompanied by Birds custard or vanilla ice cream
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,205
    I do like custard but I do like that cold ice cream and hot crumbly pie contrast.
    Apple pie and ice cream is good too and strudel. You can't beat a good slice of apfelstrudel.

[Jesus wept - those dessert trolleys in Germany]
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,969
    We have our 8 month old grandson2 with us at the moment, Mrs Slog is feeding him his tea.

She's just given him a long biscuit/rusk thingy. She put it in his hand with 2/3 sticking up above his fist. So, he tries to gum the bit in his hand, sort of backwards.

I've noticed this a few times with grandson 1 as well when he was tinier. Odd that they do that.

The older I get, the better I was.

• pinno
    capt_slog said:

We have our 8 month old grandson2 with us at the moment, Mrs Slog is feeding him his tea.

She's just given him a long biscuit/rusk thingy. She put it in his hand with 2/3 sticking up above his fist. So, he tries to gum the bit in his hand, sort of backwards.

I've noticed this a few times with grandson 1 as well when he was tinier. Odd that they do that.

When all yer teef have fallen out, try eating a rusk.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 20,055
    capt_slog said:

Intriguing. I wonder if GS2's brain is mistakenly seeing the protuberance as a possible thumb, and knows to avoid trying to eat it. Proprioception is an amazing skill, but the brain has to learn its details, and how that ties in with visual inputs.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,780
    Requires a lot more coordination to get a long thing in your mouth than just putting your hand in your mouth.
  • briantrumpet
    I wonder if you can spot politicians by them doing the same thing with their feet when they are babies.
  • TheBigBean
    Why is Camilla known as Queen Consort when Queen Elizabeth the Queen's mother was simply Queen?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,182
    edited October 2022

Why is Camilla known as Queen Consort when Queen Elizabeth the Queen's mother was simply Queen?

Saintly Diana.
    Not saying it's right or wrong but that'll be something to do with it.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet
    pblakeney said:

Di.

I seem to remember that it was a compromise title, especially as she was a divorcee. The royal family have not always been the most welcoming in similar circumstances...
  • pblakeney said:

Di.

I seem to remember that it was a compromise title, especially as she was a divorcee. The royal family have not always been the most welcoming in similar circumstances...
    are cathoics allowed to be a monarch?
  • briantrumpet

pblakeney said:

Di.

are cathoics allowed to be a monarch?
    I think the answer is still definitely not, given that they are the head of the CofE. So don't worry, Jacob Rees Smug won't make the shortlist.
  • TheBigBean
    Wagatha remains a mystery. Summarised by the Guardian

This means that not only did Vardy voluntarily bring a libel case that destroyed her own reputation, she will also have paid millions of pounds for the privilege of being publicly humiliated.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227

Wagatha remains a mystery. Summarised by the Guardian

This means that not only did Vardy voluntarily bring a libel case that destroyed her own reputation, she will also have paid millions of pounds for the privilege of being publicly humiliated.
    Thicker than Thick Lizzy? A close run thing methinks.
  • briantrumpet
    Whether I'll get on with the 'lectric blanket I've just ordered... only to air/take the chill off the bed before I get into it, as I run warm enough when I'm installed under the duvet. I'm also intrigued how they cope with being washed in the washing machine, given their nature... some sort of heating element, and all that... (and yes, I do know you unplug them before putting them in the washing machine...)
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,619
    edited October 2022
    Trivial??
    How people (especially the young) know so little about the natural world.

Last night's Who wants to be a millionaire question:
    Which of these is a fish?

A. Portuguese man o war.
    B. Scallop
    C. Seahorse
    D. Octopus.

The contestant-not a clue.
    Phone a friend- not a clue.
    54% of the audience answered A ffs.

Even on University challenge, it’s the questions on the natural world they know least about.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,633
    I didn't know octopuses were fish
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • masjer
    edited October 2022
    pangolin said:

I didn't know octopuses were fish

With your user-name I thought you'd know better. :)
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Me and the mrs both got the answer right but I wouldn’t say either of us knew it off the bat.

The audience was the classic rookie mistake of putting an idea in their head before asking them.

That way, everyone who has no idea goes with the answer already suggested.
  • pinno
    Try and eat a Portuguese man of war.
    (lol).
  • TheBigBean
    masjer said:

Trivial??

A. Portuguese man o war.
    B. Scallop
    C. Seahorse
    D. Octopus.

Even on University challenge, it’s the questions on the natural world they know least about.

Isn't this about as useful as knowing a peanut is not a nut? (Nor are most things people call nuts)

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,633

masjer said:

Trivial??

A. Portuguese man o war.
    B. Scallop
    C. Seahorse
    D. Octopus.

Isn't this about as useful as knowing a peanut is not a nut? (Nor are most things people call nuts)

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
    You could put a prawn or even a scallop in a fish pie. But sprinkle in a few seahorses and watch the complaints from around the table.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • briantrumpet

Many people call Truss nuts. I hope you're not going to say they are all wrong too.
  • masjer

masjer said:

Trivial??

A. Portuguese man o war.
    B. Scallop
    C. Seahorse
    D. Octopus.

No, it's useful to know about the planet we are living on. So, more important than just peanuts.
    Wisdom stretches further than choosing the ingredients to put in a fruit salad, like not destroying the planet we live on.

The answer is C. Seahorse.
  • briantrumpet
    masjer said:

masjer said:

Trivial??

A. Portuguese man o war.
    B. Scallop
    C. Seahorse
    D. Octopus.

No, it's useful to know about the planet we are living on. So, more important than just peanuts.
    Wisdom stretches further than choosing the ingredients to put in a fruit salad, like not destroying the planet we live on.

The answer is C. Seahorse.

I'm standing up for wilful ignorance... I'm not particularly interested what label they stick on a seahorse, and knowing the label isn't going to alter my negotiating my land-based existence. But I'm quite happy for others to find it interesting.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,182
    edited October 2022
    Hands up time. My initial thought was "none of the above" but that was clearly wrong.
    Guessed at seahorse, checked, I was right. Meaningless in the big scheme though.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • masjer
    My intrigue is that ignorance about the natural world is leading to its destruction.
    We depend on it for our survival. Soil, water, co2, climate, pollination all are crucial for our existence.
    The seahorse was an example of ignorance.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    pblakeney said:

Hands up time. My initial thought was "none of the above" but that was clearly wrong.
    Guessed at seahorse, checked, I was right. Meaningless in the big scheme though.

I was the same, thought all of them were in distinct classifications. Asked myself the question, what defines a fish.
    Decided it was Gills and went sea horse. I may have fluked the right answer for the wrong reason.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    I was ignorant of the fact that a seahorse is a fish, but would have guessed the right answer as I was sure none of the others were.
    Agree with Masjer's general point about ignorance of the natural world.
  • briantrumpet

I was ignorant of the fact that a seahorse is a fish, but would have guessed the right answer as I was sure none of the others were.
    Agree with Masjer's general point about ignorance of the natural world.

Does not knowing a label that humans give a particular animal mean that one is not capable of valuing the natural world and wanting to protect it?