Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

I'm devastated that us people in the sticks don't to enjoy all these fine dining options.

I'm not sure I believe you there
    I just drive in and take a cab home. It adds £30 to the £500 overall cost. My monthly household budget can soak that up every fortnight.
    Good excuse for a cycle the following day too.
    Really annoying only to have 6000 quids worth of menus to chose from each year, rather than the 60000 in London. That's really limiting.
    Maths fail! 🤣 2x500x12=12,000.
    Point made though.
    Taxi and tip.
    So that just adds to the £12k, no?
    His share is half so he is choosing from £6k worth of menu.

It has certainly opened my London centric eyes that there are a multitude of dining options in Edinburgh at £250 a head.
    Depends what you choose to drink, I suppose.
    Paired wines, easily £70 a head.
    One of the richest guys I know used to advise drinking house wine (or similar) and spend the difference with a wine merchant.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,783

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

I'm devastated that us people in the sticks don't to enjoy all these fine dining options.

I just drive in and take a cab home. It adds £30 to the £500 overall cost. My monthly household budget can soak that up every fortnight.
    Really annoying only to have 6000 quids worth of menus to chose from each year, rather than the 60000 in London. That's really limiting.
    Point made though.
    Taxi and tip.

It has certainly opened my London centric eyes that there are a multitude of dining options in Edinburgh at £250 a head.
    I reckon about 10 of them. It's a daft amount of money to spend on a meal out to be honest.
    Drives my missus mad that I don’t like “poncey” restaurants.

My equivalent of TBB’s dislike of booking is not leaving the wine on the table.
    I can only assume people accept that sort of stuff because it is all part of the experience. I go to eat and anything that hinders that is annoying.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,998

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

Point made though.
    Taxi and tip.

I reckon about 10 of them. It's a daft amount of money to spend on a meal out to be honest.
    Drives my missus mad that I don’t like “poncey” restaurants.

My equivalent of TBB’s dislike of booking is not leaving the wine on the table.
    I can only assume people accept that sort of stuff because it is all part of the experience. I go to eat and anything that hinders that is annoying.
    It is part of the experience.

If you order paired wines its an invitation to be bored by discussion of fruit not related to grapes, such as plum or goodberries, as well as topography and weather patterns in parts of Europe you've never heard of, and not have much wine.

My wife quite enjoys all that once or twice a year, but I'd prefer to go for the cheapest sauv blanc and drink it whenever and with whatever I want.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,783
    I don't really understand drinking, especially a lot, with expensive food. Everyone knows that after a night out their tastebuds are probably not at their best. Maybe it is necessary to survive the experience.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,186

I don't really understand drinking, especially a lot, with expensive food. Everyone knows that after a night out their tastebuds are probably not at their best. Maybe it is necessary to survive the experience.

Wine can really compliment the food, if chosen correctly, and taken in moderation.
    Go to the pub afterwards. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,417
    On the subject of posh (pretentious?) food, 'deconstructed' dishes intrigue me. What is the point in having all the elements of a meal you like served as separate components? If people really want that then there's surely an opportunity for some snake oil salesman like that salt bloke to just serve a load of ingredients on a plate and call it deconstructed.
  • I don't really understand drinking, especially a lot, with expensive food. Everyone knows that after a night out their tastebuds are probably not at their best. Maybe it is necessary to survive the experience.

when I went to the Aubergine I was so p1ssed I could not remember what i ordered :)
  • First.Aspect

It's supposed to be a palate cleanser, to actually enhance the meal. And no, there's no need to guzzle.
  • I don't really understand drinking, especially a lot, with expensive food. Everyone knows that after a night out their tastebuds are probably not at their best. Maybe it is necessary to survive the experience.

It's supposed to be a palate cleanser, to actually enhance the meal. And no, there's no need to guzzle.
    I would disagree as my ideal meal would be tapas style, heavy on the cured meat and cheeses with a lot of red wine
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 8,066
    Did the "European Championships" always cover such a variety of sports? It seems more akin to an Olympic games:

Swimming
    Athletics
    Bike, Track, Road Race, BM...
    Gymnastics
    Cricket
    Table tennis
    Badminton
    Climbing
    Rowing
    Triathlon
    Lots of other things...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,417
    edited August 2022

Did the "European Championships" always cover such a variety of sports? It seems more akin to an Olympic games:

Swimming
    Athletics
    Gymnastics
    Cricket
    Table tennis
    Badminton
    Climbing
    Rowing
    Triathlon
    Lots of other things...

No, it's a new thing this year (although the swimming is separate and in Rome not Munich with the rest. It will only run like this every 4th year like a mini Olympics.

Edit - apparently the first version was 2018 although not all at the same location. I vaguely recall it now as Glasgow hosted some of the events.
  • First.Aspect

Swimming
    Athletics
    Gymnastics
    Cricket
    Table tennis
    Badminton
    Climbing
    Rowing
    Triathlon
    Lots of other things...

I think it was an idea to make it more of a coorindated effort to help the profile of several of these sports. Pretty recent idea I think, although all of the events themselves are long standing.
  • focuszing723
    Ah, cheers. I've dipped into it now again, it's good. I like the idea to bring sports together it kind of keeps the momentum up.
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    Talking about fine dining, 10 chicken wing starter, 8oz sirloin steak, 4 pints of Coors light = £25.20 and the carpets aren’t even that sticky.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    pblakeney said:

That’s odd as my experience of boomers is that they like a good queue. Maybe people can be knobs irrespective of age.

Correct.
  • focuszing723
    Ummm, but, don't your feet get dirty if you wear sandals without socks?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Does anyone know why cycling at twilight feels so much faster than at any other time, regardless of actual speed.
  • focuszing723

Does anyone know why cycling at twilight feels so much faster than at any other time, regardless of actual speed.

In the pre-industrial age, twilight was a dangerous time for humans since they were at risk of encountering nocturnal predators. Anyone still able to recognise things despite the weak light was at a clear evolutionary advantage. As neuroscientists at Goethe University Frankfurt have now discovered, the human brain prepares for dawn and dusk by shutting down resting activity in the visual cortex at these times so that weak visual stimuli do not disappear in the brain's background noise.

The transition from night to day, light and dark, has a greater influence on perception that we realise. The time of day has a particularly significant impact on the quality of visual signals around us. In the course of evolution, our visual system has adapted perfectly to light conditions during the day. It has, however, also developed a strategy for twilight: Evidently it allows our inner clock to predict these periods and prepare our visual system for times when the quality of visual signals deteriorates.

"Whilst the cogs of our inner clock have already been studied in depth, it was not known to date which mechanism optimises visual perception at times when poor signal quality can be expected," explains Dr. Christian Kell from the Brain Imaging Center of Goethe University Frankfurt. That is why Lorenzo Cordani, his doctoral researcher, examined how 14 healthy test persons reacted to visual stimuli at six different times of the day in the framework of a complex fMRI study.

The main idea of the study was to relate the perception of sensory signals to the brain's resting activity. There is namely a certain "background noise" in the brain even in the complete absence of external stimuli. The international team led by Christian Kell, Lorenzo Cordani and Joerg Stehle was able to show that the body independently downregulates resting activity in the sensory areas during dawn and dusk. The more resting activity was reduced, the better the test persons were able to perceive weak visual signals when measured afterwards.

This means that humans can perceive weak visual stimuli during dawn and dusk better than at other times of the day. In other words: During twilight, the signal-to-noise ratio in the sensory areas of the brain improves. Since resting activity during twilight decreases not only in the visual but also in the auditory and somatosensory regions of the brain, the researchers assume that perception sharpens not only in the visual system. An earlier study already showed that weak auditory stimuli during twilight were perceived better. The mechanism now discovered, which was published in the latest issue of Nature Communications, could therefore represent a key evolutionary advantage that ensured survival in the pre-industrial era.
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/04/180410110858.htm
    The visual senses are heightened giving the perception of a faster speed?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,186
    Same point could be made about newspapers, or telephones.
    Old people using latest tech less than young people is hardly a revelation.

What it does tell is how to target your message. But those who need to know already do.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • focuszing723
    edited August 2022
    I don't get TikTok it's too short for me. I can't see the point of it over Youtube, it's interesting even have Youtube "shorts" now though, so there must be something in it (kids short attention spans?).

The visual memory is very good, hence why a card deck champion remembery bloke uses memory walks as his technique. Given that, think of all the $h1t with no purpose filling peoples minds.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,990
    A Chinese company wouldn't be able to own a tv channel. Our laws don't make sense.

• focuszing723
    edited August 2022
    What percentage of my mind if full of useless visual $h1t? Films, youtube, tv, internet...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

A Chinese company wouldn't be able to own a tv channel. Our laws don't make sense.

What do you think people are watching on tiktok?!
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,990

Whatever the algorithm serves up to keepthem engaged.

It's anything and everything.
  • focuszing723
    edited August 2022
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QU9SsTwY5nU

Everything/Anything which triggers an interest.

"Emotional Content"
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,205

They don't? We have freedom of speech.

Chinese media is all state controlled - in the wrong way.
    Look at the Chinese people watching the lovely spectacle of military practices and 'looking forward' to the re-unification of Taiwan as well as being quite dismissive of the withdrawal of Western companies.

Though the BBC claims 'totally unbiased reporting of world events'. This is entirely incorrect. We live 22 miles from mainland Europe yet so much emphasis is on what's happening in the US. I'm fed up of it.

My concern is that Tik Tok is taking 'shorts' to the extreme; sound/visual bites. I have to persuade my daughter to watch say a science or wildlife documentary because 'it's too long'. I try to sit with her and watch something together but I refuse to watch Tik Tok or Youtube. Sometimes, she just has monologues about these 'youtubers' as if the whole world revolves around it. I say 'you can watch it if you like but I am not interested'.
    Is there going to be a whole generation totally disengaged from politics and current affairs? I mean, all societies need current and future decision makers. Are we going to have any?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • focuszing723
    I think some Youtube channels are very good, much better than a lot of the dross on TV.
  • First.Aspect

Whatever the algorithm serves up to keepthem engaged.

It's anything and everything.
    It reminds me of the star trek episode where aliens tried to take over the enterprise with a highly adictive computer game.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,205

I think some Youtube channels are very good, much better than a lot of the dross on TV.

There are but there is a helluva lot of shyte.
    The average 8 to 18 year old kid is drawn to it like moths to a lamp.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!