Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,998
    Pross said:

Lego that only let's you build one thing always seems a waste of time in general to me.

Oh, and I'm sure it's well known but something I learned recently that may come in handy for pub quizzes is that the Lego is the world's largest annual producer of tyres (by number of unit).

The only point of lego is to store co2 in plastic forms that can fit in very very small places, such as under car seats and inside a sofa.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,633

Pross said:

Lego that only let's you build one thing always seems a waste of time in general to me.

Oh, and I'm sure it's well known but something I learned recently that may come in handy for pub quizzes is that the Lego is the world's largest annual producer of tyres (by number of unit).

The only point of lego is to store co2 in plastic forms that can fit in very very small places, such as under car seats and inside a sofa.
    Carbon perhaps, not much oxygen.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • First.Aspect
    pangolin said:

Pross said:

True. Plus if you tread on it you hyperventilate, which is bad for the environment.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 8,066
    When I listen to music sometimes, say a track on repeat. When I stop listening I can still hear the music in my head at the same quality. It doesn't happen all the time but now and again. It seems incredible when it happens.
  • First.Aspect

When I listen to music sometimes, say a track on repeat. When I stop listening I can still hear the music in my head at the same quality. It doesn't happen all the time but now and again. It seems incredible when it happens.

Has it been getting louder recently?
  • focuszing723
    edited August 2022

Has it been getting louder recently?
    No, similar volume to the music I was listening to. It doesn't happen all the time and tends to happen when I'm listening to the same track on repeat as mentioned. The quality in the sound is identical, it's as if I was still listening to it.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    https://gurwinder.substack.com/p/the-perils-of-audience-capture?utm_campaign=post&utm_source=direct

This is pretty good. On audience capture. Mainly about social meedja performers but equally applicable to politicians.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,205
    JimD666 said:

That's pretty much true for any kit based project though. Worked with a couple years back who were big into their lego building. Even they would of balked at £700 for the Millennium Falcon though....

The parts are pretty standard and if you re like me, you'll have a pretty big inventory to start with. Brick Owl and Re-brickable sell new and used Lego and (though it would take a bit of time to source all the parts) you could easily build the Falcon for 1/3rd of that.

https://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemInv.asp?S=75192-1

Though, I don't build kits.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno

pangolin said:

Pross said:

True. Plus if you tread on it you hyperventilate, which is bad for the environment.

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227
    Is it intrigue or is it annoy, not that, or is it just why?

Every news bulletin on the BBC radio reports yet another legal appeal to whoever by the family of the brain dead kid. Why are they doing this? The kid is dead, take away the machines and stop this.

Sez he as present participant in the end games of both his parents.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,417
    orraloon said:

Every news bulletin on the BBC radio reports yet another legal appeal to whoever by the family of the brain dead kid. Why are they doing this? The kid is dead, take away the machines and stop this.

Having heard the mother talking about it last week the whole story was muddled. I suspect there's an element of guilt driving it.

Hopefully none of us will ever find ourselves in the position where we'll find how we'd react to this situation but I think I would want to spend as much time as possible with my son rather than traipsing around Courts and TV studios.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,806
    Sadly the religious groups who get their claws into these parents exercise a huge degree of manipulation
  • pinno
    edited August 2022
    Pross said:

orraloon said:

Having heard the mother talking about it last week the whole story was muddled. I suspect there's an element of guilt driving it.

Hopefully none of us will ever find ourselves in the position where we'll find how we'd react to this situation but I think I would want to spend as much time as possible with my son rather than traipsing around Courts and TV studios.
    Agree. Though not on your scale, I did sign my own mother's DNR.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,623
    I'm facing a hosepipe ban, but my mains supply has been leaking 180 litres an hour for the past 3 years.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,633
    masjer said:

I'm facing a hosepipe ban, but my mains supply has been leaking 180 litres an hour for the past 3 years.

You may want to get your foundations checked out
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • masjer
    edited August 2022
    pangolin said:

masjer said:

It's on a sloping driveway, so hopefully way from the house. My fence posts do seem to rot prematurely.
    They've inspected it (looked at the stopcock) about 5 times and said 180 litres an hour isn't too bad. Only 4.7 million litres so far.
  • focuszing723
    edited August 2022
    Just the nuttery of this incredible weather we've been having. It's like been in the Mediterranean. I don't think I've seen proper rain for a couple of months or more.

I do feel sorry for farmers, it must be a bit of a nightmare. When do I plough the field, sow the new crop? When should I harvest (moisture levels)...I saw a potato crop today it was completely shrivelled up. I guess in warmer dryer climates they can be geared up by this, but here?
  • First.Aspect
    Yup. Catching up with some routine correspondence here...

Bbbut London....
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,377
    Pross said:

Is that just a lack of imagination? I'm not a fan of these 'display shelf' models - seems counter to the whole ethos - though I will admit to being tempted by the 90th anniversary Galaxy Explorer for a slab of nostalgia.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,377
    masjer said:

pangolin said:

masjer said:

It's on a sloping driveway, so hopefully way from the house. My fence posts do seem to rot prematurely.
    They've inspected it (looked at the stopcock) about 5 times and said 180 litres an hour isn't too bad. Only 4.7 million litres so far.
    F*** me! What's a bad leak, then?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,186
    rjsterry said:

masjer said:

pangolin said:

masjer said:

"Across England and Wales, just under 3 billion litres (660 million gallons) of water is lost to leaks every day..."

Every day.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,417
    rjsterry said:

Pross said:

Is that just a lack of imagination? I'm not a fan of these 'display shelf' models - seems counter to the whole ethos - though I will admit to being tempted by the 90th anniversary Galaxy Explorer for a slab of nostalgia.
    Yeah, for me the whole point of Lego is to create stuff not just rigidly using it to build a fixed model.
  • masjer
    rjsterry said:

masjer said:

pangolin said:

masjer said:

I had an info pack from the water company saying how well they are doing tackling leaks. My leak has probably been going much longer than 3 years.
    Last I heard was, they were going to use a product called Aquapea. A polymer that is supposed to plug the leak without having to dig the pipe up.
    I might dig the pipe up this autumn and fix it myself.
  • pinno
    Pross said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

Yeah, for me the whole point of Lego is to create stuff not just rigidly using it to build a fixed model.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGk2OkfSA4g
  • pinno
    [Shameless self promotion]
  • I drove from Mumbles up to Aberdovey and it felt like nearly every village had bunting and Welsh flags up.

Do they always do that or have I missed something?
  • First.Aspect

I drove from Mumbles up to Aberdovey and it felt like nearly every village had bunting and Welsh flags up.

I absolutely love how this exposes the London/SE myopia.

It is a bit like the start of lockdown where we saw lots of young people wearing what I assume is fashionable clothing wandering around the countryside marvelling at how everything was covered in plants.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,990

I drove from Mumbles up to Aberdovey and it felt like nearly every village had bunting and Welsh flags up.

It is a bit like the start of lockdown where we saw lots of young people wearing what I assume is fashionable clothing wandering around the countryside marvelling at how everything was covered in plants.
    How is it myopic to ask a question? If you know the area, you could answer it.
  • I drove from Mumbles up to Aberdovey and it felt like nearly every village had bunting and Welsh flags up.

are you saying that the Welsh countryside is always covered in bunting and flags?

and if so (I have never noticed before) why no bunting in England?