Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,998
    And the cockpit has been tidied and stiffened up by integrating the stem and bars, and they've solved the issues of adjustability by bolting the integrated bar and stem together.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,377

And the cockpit has been tidied and stiffened up by integrating the stem and bars, and they've solved the issues of adjustability by bolting the integrated bar and stem together.

Gah.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • First.Aspect
    rjsterry said:

Gah.
    What's wrong with you? It's a part of any gruppo.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,205

rjsterry said:

Next you'll be telling me that the ludicrous proliferation of 637 different BB 'standards' represents a great leap forward in engineering.

Well now you come to mention it, the press fit bottom bracket improved stiffness over threaded bottom brackets, and they've since solved the creaking problem by threading the press fit ones in.

Progress.
    ...and to save nano watts, they have routed all cables through the bar, head tube, tubes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_NxY2tjwyM

More progress...
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 20,063
    pinno said:

rjsterry said:

Next you'll be telling me that the ludicrous proliferation of 637 different BB 'standards' represents a great leap forward in engineering.

Well now you come to mention it, the press fit bottom bracket improved stiffness over threaded bottom brackets, and they've since solved the creaking problem by threading the press fit ones in.

Progress.
    ...and to save nano watts, they have routed all cables through the bar, head tube, tubes...

More progress...

Bloomin' 'eck, that's nuts. I didn't realise that had become so pervasive. I want a bike that I can service myself easily and quickly. It's even less likely I'll be replacing my bikes soon if fully internalised cables are the only option.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

Gah.
    What's wrong with you? It's a part of any gruppo.
    Ggģgggnnnnnnhhh.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    edited July 2022
    How did evolution arrive at the Diplomoceras ammonite?

This thing was about 6ft long and shaped like a trombone.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pinno

pinno said:

rjsterry said:

Progress.

More progress...

Bloomin' 'eck, that's nuts. I didn't realise that had become so pervasive. I want a bike that I can service myself easily and quickly. It's even less likely I'll be replacing my bikes soon if fully internalised cables are the only option.
    If you are bored of an evening...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQWYPxGicjU

• pinno

If it's not associated with disc brakes, fleabay is awash with cheaper frames, wheels...
    Not long purchased a C60 with SR and Hunt wheels for £1800.

(Sold a frame and a pile of stuff for £1750. Does that mean I got a whole bike for £50? :smile: )

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,186
    pinno said:

If it's not associated with disc brakes, fleabay is awash with cheaper frames, wheels...
    Not long purchased a C60 with SR and Hunt wheels for £1800.

(Sold a frame and a pile of stuff for £1750. Does that mean I got a whole bike for £50? :smile: )

No. As you have the same number of bikes.
    You do have a massive upgrade for a bargain £50 though.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • First.Aspect
    edited July 2022
    Rowing coverage.

The TV coverage hasn't changed significantly in 20 years. Why isn't there drone coverage or better still in-boat cameras? (We had one in 1994...)

Wouldn't fix the issue that most rowers are called Emily or Fergus, mind you.
  • pinno
    pblakeney said:

You do have a massive upgrade for a bargain £50 though.

My point entirely.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

Rowing coverage.

The TV coverage hasn't changed significantly in 20 years. Why isn't there drone coverage or better still in-boat cameras? (We had one in 1994...)

Not sure that’d add much tbh
  • First.Aspect

Rowing coverage.

It would. It all looks quite serene from a camera boat. But up close it's a lot more violent. Onboard coverage would let you see how the race is developing, as well.

Have a look at a few YouTube videos from Head of the Charles. And HRR did some excellent drone footage for a couple of years.
  • rick_chasey

Rowing coverage.

It would. It all looks quite serene from a camera boat. But up close it's a lot more violent. Onboard coverage would let you see how the race is developing, as well.

Have a look at a few YouTube videos from Head of the Charles. And HRR did some excellent drone footage for a couple of years.
    I’ve coxed national 8s and olympic medal winners before, I know what it’s like in a boat.
  • First.Aspect

Rowing coverage.

I’ve coxed national 8s and olympic medal winners before, I know what it’s like in a boat.
    You know best then. I struggle to think of a subject in relation to which you don't.
  • briantrumpet

Rowing coverage.

You know best then. I struggle to think of a subject in relation to which you don't.

I could start a thread on bovine footcare or artificial insemination...
  • rick_chasey

Rowing coverage.

They’ve had in boat cameras for the boat race for a while.

In boring Olympic races what’s to see? The lanes are really wide.

You could ban the shades to see more pain faces but that seems a little extreme.
  • First.Aspect

Rowing coverage.

I think he might have some in depth knowledge.of artificial insemination.
  • rick_chasey
    ✌🏻
  • briantrumpet

Rowing coverage.

I think he might have some in depth knowledge.of artificial insemination.

That's a load of bull.
  • First.Aspect

Rowing coverage.

You could ban the shades to see more pain faces but that seems a little extreme.
    It's an extra dimension, under utilised in the boat race. And it doesn't even pan. Jeremy Vines videos are better produced.

Imagine bike racing with just helecopter shots and a moto a fixed distance from the riders. Or F1 70s style with fixed cameras on the corners... some of the corners.
  • rick_chasey

Rowing coverage.

It's an extra dimension, under utilised in the boat race. And it doesn't even pan. Jeremy Vines videos are better produced.

Imagine bike racing with just helecopter shots and a moto a fixed distance from the riders. Or F1 70s style with fixed cameras on the corners... some of the corners.
    I guess so.

The boats don’t change direction though.

I have plenty of respect for rowers and Olympians but the Olympic format is so dry, you can have all the camera in the world, it’s still dull.

All you wanna know is who is in the lead.

The virtual graphics explaining who is leading and the stroke rate in the lane is a good addition.

Maybe they could even light up the lane of the fastest boat at that precise moment.
  • First.Aspect
    Well there's an issue, knowing who is in the lead.

Personally I find cycle coverage dull. To each their own.
  • pinno

Don't you find anything involving people dull?
  • First.Aspect
    pinno said:

Don't you find anything involving people dull?
    Boats have people in them. So do racing cars. And people kicks bags or air around grass rectangles.
  • rick_chasey
    Who are these people who think cheese and wine is fungible.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227
    Dot watching the Transcontinental TCR8. Guy currently leading has done 1140km in 42 hours. Machines.
  • briantrumpet
    Thinking that it feels nicely cool here (not Topsham) now, and looking up and seeing it's 27C. That's a heatwave in the UK, right?

Still can't work out how it can feel cool though.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,417
    Why is it that no matter what way the wind is blowing and which side off the BBQ I stand the smoke always follows me?