Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,783

If you want to book a table, you can get any time you want tonight or tomorrow. That's not going to be the case for good restaurants.

Depends on your definition of good. Mine includes being able to eat in them easily.
    Sold out concerts are also, by definition, not good.
    You've got the idea.
    Even if you have got a ticket because you booked a few weeks ago?
    Probably involves queueing and lots of people which are negatives, but it being sold out doesn't mean it is good. It means it is popular.

But your point was about restaurants. I don't want to plan in advance or have to eat at a certain times to allow two sittings. I almost never make a reservation.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,990
    edited August 2022

If you want to book a table, you can get any time you want tonight or tomorrow. That's not going to be the case for good restaurants.

Depends on your definition of good. Mine includes being able to eat in them easily.
    You've got the idea.
    Probably involves queueing and lots of people which are negatives, but it being sold out doesn't mean it is good. It means it is popular.

But your point was about restaurants. I don't want to plan in advance or have to eat at a certain times to allow two sittings. I almost never make a reservation.
    And that means you don't get to go to some good restaurants at popular times.

You're basically saying that Le Gavroche might be good on a Tuesday, but is not good on a Saturday.
  • kingstongraham
    Anyway, my point was that there is no time at all tonight or tomorrow night that Salt Bae's restaurant does not have space for a table for four. That's not giving off "the place to be" vibes.
  • TheBigBean

You've got the idea.

You're basically saying that Le Gavroche might be good on a Tuesday, but is not good on a Saturday.
    As I said, you've got the idea.

Although I'm highly unlikely to go there on a Tuesday either. As per the restaurants of London thread, I value the diversity not the classical fine dining. I know good places to have Korean Chinese or Japanese Korean. I also know a great Mauritian cafe, a Mexican restaurant that doesn't sell Tex Mex and pub that formerly had the best pizza in London etc. etc.
  • TheBigBean
    I'm very consistent on this. The best ski resorts have the worst lifts.
  • kingstongraham
    edited August 2022

You've got the idea.

Although I'm highly unlikely to go there on a Tuesday either. As per the restaurants of London thread, I value the diversity not the classical fine dining. I know good places to have Korean Chinese or Japanese Korean. I also know a great Mauritian cafe, a Mexican restaurant that doesn't sell Tex Mex and pub that formerly had the best pizza in London etc. etc.
    The restaurant itself isn't different between those times you can get in and those times you cannot, so you are defining your acceptance criteria, not the quality of the restaurant. The quality of the restaurant is one input into those criteria.
  • TheBigBean

You've got the idea.

The restaurant itself isn't different between those times you can get in and those times you cannot, so you are defining your acceptance criteria, not the quality of the restaurant. The quality of the restaurant is one input into those criteria.

Also, you not liking the style of food they serve at Le Gavroche also does not make it any less good.
    This feels like a thoroughly pointless debate, so I'm in. It's my definition of good. I'm not pretending it is yours, but if you like consider it as an answer to the question "is it a good place to eat?"

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited August 2022
    For me the budget has an outsized impact on the meal. The bar required for it to be a pleasurable experience rises very very quickly when the price goes up.

Charging me £50 a head and it's no better than the £30 a head place I go to a lot? I'm not gonna enjoy it, even if it is enjoyable.

Luckily, this doesn't extend to expensed meals, and I have plenty of those, though the increasing lack of appetite for a glass of wine with a business lunch is a regretful development.
  • TheBigBean

For me the budget has an outsized impact on the meal. The bar required for it to be a pleasurable experience rises very very quickly when the price goes up.

Charging me £50 a head and it's no better than the £30 a head place I go to a lot? I'm not gonna enjoy it, even if it is enjoyable.

I understand that. If I leave hungry I'm also unimpressed.
  • rick_chasey
    Also, if anyone knows of anywhere that does French Toast as good as 1 Lombard Street, please let me know.

I had my first there and have it regularly when I go, but I discovered that eating it anywhere else is a big disappointment.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,186
    Eggy bread, Mmmmmmmm.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773

I think that's fair, many people would view it the same way. We were talking about pub food round here the other day. Pub grub used to be reasonable, basic and cheap. Then gastro pubs came along and the prices went up, but so did the quality. Now they're all at it and the quality has gone down as they are trying to cut costs, but the prices remain high.
    There is a pub near here that does good pizza, my complaint is they claim it's awesome. I don't think pizza can ever be awesome, it can be a very good pizza. But it's still little more than fancy cheese on toast.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,417
    edited August 2022
    I'm devastated that us people in the sticks don't get to enjoy all these fine dining options.
  • kingstongraham

You've got the idea.

Also, you not liking the style of food they serve at Le Gavroche also does not make it any less good.
    This feels like a thoroughly pointless debate, so I'm in. It's my definition of good. I'm not pretending it is yours, but if you like consider it as an answer to the question "is it a good place to eat?"

I agree, not sure why you started it.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    SW water's advice for saving water during the drought: collect rainwater in a water butt.

Um........
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    Pross said:

I'm devastated that us people in the sticks don't to enjoy all these fine dining options.

I'm not sure I believe you there
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,998

Pross said:

I'm devastated that us people in the sticks don't to enjoy all these fine dining options.

I just drive in and take a cab home. It adds £30 to the £500 overall cost. My monthly household budget can soak that up every fortnight.
  • pblakeney
    edited August 2022

Pross said:

I just drive in and take a cab home. It adds £30 to the £500 overall cost. My monthly household budget can soak that up every fortnight.
    Good excuse for a cycle the following day too.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • First.Aspect
    pblakeney said:

Pross said:

Really annoying only to have 6000 quids worth of menus to chose from each year, rather than the 60000 in London. That's really limiting.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

Really annoying only to have 6000 quids worth of menus to chose from each year, rather than the 60000 in London. That's really limiting.
    Maths fail! 🤣 2x500x12=12,000.
    Point made though.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • First.Aspect
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

Point made though.
    Taxi and tip.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

Point made though.
    Taxi and tip.
    So that just adds to the £12k, no?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • First.Aspect
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

Point made though.
    Taxi and tip.
    So that just adds to the £12k, no?
    Better transfer some money from the savings.
  • TheBigBean

You've got the idea.

I agree, not sure why you started it.
    This is a thread for trivial things.
  • TheBigBean

I think that's fair, many people would view it the same way. We were talking about pub food round here the other day. Pub grub used to be reasonable, basic and cheap. Then gastro pubs came along and the prices went up, but so did the quality. Now they're all at it and the quality has gone down as they are trying to cut costs, but the prices remain high.
    There is a pub near here that does good pizza, my complaint is they claim it's awesome. I don't think pizza can ever be awesome, it can be a very good pizza. But it's still little more than fancy cheese on toast.
    Gastro pubs are a trivial thing that annoy me, so wrong thread
  • First.Aspect

What are your thoughts on establishments that offer "proper food"?
  • rick_chasey
    Classic boomer behaviour witnessed today.

Turned up to the botanical garden a little early because it’s quite warm and I didn’t want to get back too late.

Garden opens at 10am.

By 9:58 there was a small informal queue of Millennial parents with young children in the various spots in the shade.

At 10:01 a boomer couple turns up, socks in sandals, and the garden isn’t open yet.

instantly the boomer man starts agitating, shaking the fence, tapping his watch, complaining they haven’t opened yet, when it was obvious the person was in the process of opening it up.

Anyway, gate opens, boomer skips the queue and marches straight in.

Woman at the garden mentions they might want to wait and he literally said “why should we have to wait for those kids?”.

Incredible.

I was in a good mood so kept my mouth shut.
  • pblakeney
    That’s odd as my experience of boomers is that they like a good queue. Maybe people can be knobs irrespective of age.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • TheBigBean

What are your thoughts on establishments that offer "proper food"?
    Happy to answer the question, but I need more details as to what you mean by "proper food".
  • rick_chasey
    edited August 2022
    pblakeney said:

That’s odd as my experience of boomers is that they like a good queue. Maybe people can be knobs irrespective of age.

Absolutely standard. Behave like they are entitled to things other people aren’t.

My favourite was the same spot. I was in the queue to go in. I am a member so I just wave my card and in we go.

Boomer behind me marches in, barges past, waves her members card declaring “I’m a member I don’t need to queue, I’m in a hurry” and walked off.

I called her out, asking if she thought she was special. Explained I too was a member but I queue with everyone else.

She came up with some spurious reason why she was in a hurry (but not so urgent she couldn’t stop to barny with me).

I then dropped the bomb “classic boomer behaviour, think you’re special and everyone else isn’t” and she just started swearing haha.

Still skipped the queue mind. Standard.