Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• pinno said:

...so whilst the bunting was not home made the installation was amateur

That's ^ very Surrey.

maybe but it had not been done with a chery picker or even a long ladder

The most Surrey thing I know is Wittering beach and it is not even in Surrey. They even have Spitfires flying past on a regular basis.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,376
    West or East?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227
    To bunt the bunting topic, I had bunting up recently. It was red and white striped and stretched between gateposts as an alert to freshly laid tarmac. In case any driver muppet failed to see the large stones in front and tried to enter over the top of the stones. I've seen UTub clips...

On the flagging, with my view over the town, I see no blue and white Yes stuff. I see one Union flag on a pole - I-spy a Rangers supporter.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 8,066
    edited August 2022
    orraloon said:

To bunt the bunting topic, I had bunting up recently. It was red and white striped and stretched between gateposts as an alert to freshly laid tarmac. In case any driver muppet failed to see the large stones in front and tried to enter over the top of the stones. I've seen UTub clips...

On the flagging, with my view over the town, I see no blue and white Yes stuff. I see one Union flag on a pole - I-spy a Rangers supporter.

I've flagged you there for the incorrect use of bunting, which I feel should only be used for more jovial occasions.

!! bunting should not be used as a warning !!

A simple marker pen and cardboard would have sufficed.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,998
    orraloon said:

My next door neighbour has a yes sticker on the door. She has health issues and relied heavily on her mum and the state.

Thick as mince.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,417
    Watching athletics and seeing the complete lack of care towards aerodynamics. I get that the pace and, in the sprints, short duration limit the gains compared to cycling but when .01 seconds can be the difference between an Olympic medal or world record I find it odd that athletes will run in a fairly baggy vest and shorts, have jewellery flapping around or (mainly) in the case of women massive hair which is usually a wig or extensions.

Even if it's not creating any meaningful drag some of the hairstyles must at least be off-putting when running.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    We have bunting on the shed and on one of the fences. It was made by the missus as a bit of practice before making bunting for Lizzies do for the village celebrations.
    I’d take a picture but it’s dark outside.
  • First.Aspect
    edited August 2022
    What's the mathematical relationship between drag and speed?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,205

What's the mathematical relationship between drag and speed?

Drag force is proportional to the velocity for low-speed flow and the squared velocity for high speed flow, where the distinction between low and high speed is measured by the Reynolds number. Even though the ultimate cause of a drag is viscous friction...

IIRC, the point where input and output for a cyclist is no longer linear is 22.5mph, after that is disproportionate.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rjsterry said:

West or East?

just follow the queue of black 4x4s
  • focuszing723
    edited August 2022
    I was just wondering if other intergalactic planets advanced inhabitants have anything like a bike? Also, do they have bike related forum sites where they mainly talk about other stuff?

And, what are their bikes like, I suppose?
  • focuszing723
    If this very hot weather keeps continuing it might make sense if the UK's population move to Scotland, where he climate will be more clement. The rest of the UK could be used for wind, solar, farming and industry.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,990

I was just wondering if other intergalactic planets advanced inhabitants have anything like a bike? Also, do they have bike related forum sites where they mainly talk about other stuff?

I have done some research using DALL-E-2 AI image generator, and can confirm it looks something like this:

• focuszing723
    Rimac, Rimac, Rimac.

In 2018, Volkswagen group subsidiary Porsche Engineering Group GmbH acquired a 10% stake in Rimac to form a development partnership, as part of its electrification process. Mate Rimac commented: "This partnership now is an important step for Rimac on our way to become a component and system supplier of choice for the industry in electrification, connectivity and the exciting field of Advanced Driver Assistance Systems". Hyundai Motor Company and Kia Motors jointly invested €80 million in 2019 and announced plans "to collaborate on the development of high-performance electric vehicles." In 2020, Rimac recommended Infinum, the largest Balkan software and design company, to Porsche that led to creation of the a joint venture Porsche Digital Croatia with an investment of €10 million.

In July 2021, VW Group's Porsche and Rimac announced that they have agreed to create a joint venture that will incorporate Volkswagen's high-performance Bugatti brand as well as Rimac Automobili. The new venture will be called Bugatti Rimac. Parent company Rimac Group will have a 55% stake in the joint venture, while Porsche will hold a 45% stake in the company. In May 2022, Hyundai announced it was discontinuing future projects with Rimac amid rumors that Porsche would be making a significant investment in Rimac; in June of that year, Porsche stated it was one of the participants in a new €500 million round of fundraising.

Rimac Technology is 100% owned by the Rimac Group. Rimac Technology develops vehicle systems and technologies for many global OEMs.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rimac_Automobili

It was founded in 2009!

I mean, bloody hell fire. That is a rapid evolution of greatness right there. Anybody who has just a smigin of derision for such fantasticalness should stop using any technology right now. Paint some $h1t on a cave, and not a car, stick figures or something.
  • focuszing723

I have done some research using DALL-E-2 AI image generator, and can confirm it looks something like this:

Cool. I have an image of a spidery type thing . Six peddling legs, obviously three cranks and the font legs/arms to steer. I mean it's daft really, because the possibilities could be endless in terms of peddle power. Anyway, I think Humanity will find it tough in a thousand/million years to compete with multi limbed Aliens.

I wonder if in the future when AI robotica takes over, it will use genetic beings as entertainment?
  • focuszing723
    I wonder if hot weather has an impact on mental faculty?
  • focuszing723
    Anyway, I've dropped Nicola Sturgeon an email to test the waters.
  • First.Aspect
    You need to experience the midges before you make a final decision.

And some folk would miss the range of fine dining options.
  • focuszing723
    Glad to see no objection to Rimac's rise to fantasticalness.
  • focuszing723
    Hmmm, well, it's that time again where I better censor myself before I talk a load of nonsense.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited August 2022
    I remember salt bae getting a lot of heat on here. I admire his balls to go make money.

Anyway, here’s how his outrageously overpriced restaurant has fared this year.

• focuszing723
    Meh, that's still $h1t compared to Mate Rimac.

Oh, and the Terminator makes both Bourne and Bond look like a couple of bloody amateurs.
  • kingstongraham

I remember salt bae getting a lot of heat on here. I admire his balls to go make money.

Anyway, here’s how his outrageously overpriced restaurant has fared this year.

You misremember. The people who overpaid for his (apparently) average food were the ones who were criticised.

And what do you know - the profits are high when you can fill a restaurant and charge an insane amount for a cheap meal.

I wonder how it's doing now (I assume) the man himself has moved on somewhere else. Be like a Planet Hollywood for the megarich.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    He’s got 19 of them now.
  • kingstongraham

He’s got 19 of them now.

Yes, and I wonder what they are like when the novelty at each one has worn off. Just dull, I'd imagine.

I'm all in favour of him. I'd never pay that for that, but nobody's getting ripped off.
  • kingstongraham
    If you want to book a table, you can get any time you want tonight or tomorrow. That's not going to be the case for good restaurants.

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,783

If you want to book a table, you can get any time you want tonight or tomorrow. That's not going to be the case for good restaurants.

Depends on your definition of good. Mine includes being able to eat in them easily.
  • kingstongraham

Depends on your definition of good. Mine includes being able to eat in them easily.
    Sold out concerts are also, by definition, not good.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,783

You've got the idea.
  • kingstongraham

You've got the idea.
    Even if you have got a ticket because you booked a few weeks ago?