Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,207

pinno said:

pinno said:

pinno said:

Pross said:

Deleted - stupid quote coding getting on my nerves!

I'm not sure what's suddenly changed about the forum software to produce these weird annoying glitches. Maybe they've taken advantage of Brexit to allow the standards to diverge from EU ones.
    The server is probably in China and one of Xi Jinping's boys is regularly piddling on it.

Or Huawei is intercepting our posts and subtly altering them to send covert messages to communist sleeper cells that were installed in the UK before the forum platform was changed.
    They don't need sleeper cells as long as we have Spaffer screwing things up at No. 10. The last thing they would want is to have him assassinated accidentally through some covert message.

Maybe Spaffer has been taking his orders through CS! Don't forget we've got the lurker-liker...
    If that is so, he hasn't stuck to the script.

How do you know what the script is? 🤔
    You can't keep agent Spaffer in power so long as he acts like a cross between Inspector Clouseau and Mr Magoo.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,190
    pinno said:

pinno said:

pinno said:

pinno said:

Pross said:

Deleted - stupid quote coding getting on my nerves!

I'm not sure what's suddenly changed about the forum software to produce these weird annoying glitches. Maybe they've taken advantage of Brexit to allow the standards to diverge from EU ones.
    The server is probably in China and one of Xi Jinping's boys is regularly piddling on it.

Or Huawei is intercepting our posts and subtly altering them to send covert messages to communist sleeper cells that were installed in the UK before the forum platform was changed.
    They don't need sleeper cells as long as we have Spaffer screwing things up at No. 10. The last thing they would want is to have him assassinated accidentally through some covert message.

Maybe Spaffer has been taking his orders through CS! Don't forget we've got the lurker-liker...
    If that is so, he hasn't stuck to the script.

How do you know what the script is? 🤔
    You can't keep agent Spaffer in power so long as he acts like a cross between Inspector Clouseau and Mr Magoo.
    You missed out Baldrick.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno
    How dare you Sully Baldrick.
  • How do my dogs Sir Vivian and Michael Holding know I'm pissed off about something before anyone else?
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930

How do my dogs Sir Vivian and Michael Holding know I'm pissed off about something before anyone else?

Kurt Zouma's cats know when he's got the hump.

When I saw the vid, I thought it must be the cat sitter from the Brexit thread on the day following the referendum.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,137

How do my dogs Sir Vivian and Michael Holding know I'm pissed off about something before anyone else?

Kurt Zouma's cats know when he's got the hump.

When I saw the vid, I thought it must be the cat sitter from the Brexit thread on the day following the referendum.
    :smile:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    So the drinks trolley was brought forward to Wednesdays as that's when most people are in the office. So far so fine; a beer at 3:30 or so at the desk is quite welcome.

But had I had the same beer or a glass of wine with my lunch 90 minutes earlier, that would have been massively frowned upon.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,624

So the drinks trolley was brought forward to Wednesdays as that's when most people are in the office. So far so fine; a beer at 3:30 or so at the desk is quite welcome.

But had I had the same beer or a glass of wine with my lunch 90 minutes earlier, that would have been massively frowned upon.

Not like a job at No.10 then. Apparently it's frowned upon if you are not drinking full stop.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 17,015

What decade do you work in?

Does Peggy bring the drinks trolley?
  • rick_chasey
    Haha, NGL, definitely was hoping for this kind of reaction.
  • pblakeney
    Being invited to apply for a new position with 2 perks amongst others.
    1. Home based working from home.
    2. Cycle to work scheme so you can commute to work on a bike.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pinno
    pblakeney said:

Being invited to apply for a new position with 2 perks amongst others.
    1. Home based working from home.
    2. Cycle to work scheme so you can commute to work on a bike.

Get up in the morning, cycle around the house. When you finish work, cycle around the house again. Bingo!
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,624
    Are you as smart as slime mould?
    https://youtu.be/HyzT5b0tNtk
  • That ending is amazing - the maze on the landing screen is a red herring.
  • So the drinks trolley was brought forward to Wednesdays as that's when most people are in the office. So far so fine; a beer at 3:30 or so at the desk is quite welcome.

What if the client wants to get on it?
  • rick_chasey

What if the client wants to get on it?
    Client never comes behind the curtain, you know that.
  • Yeah but what if you're out for lunch and the client wants to get on it
  • rick_chasey

Yeah but what if you're out for lunch and the client wants to get on it

Excellent :)
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,790
    Can anyone do bikle? My knowledge of five letter cyclists is too limited.
  • Can anyone do bikle? My knowledge of five letter cyclists is too limited.

I just got today's in four guesses.
  • rick_chasey
    Can anyone explain how I am wrong about this Sunak energy cost lending.

Say you’re a student living at home and in a year or two you move into rented accommodation.

Are you then on the hook for the £40 or so whatever it is to pay this £200 loan back?
  • pinno

Can anyone explain how I am wrong about this Sunak energy cost lending.

Say you’re a student living at home and in a year or two you move into rented accommodation.

Are you then on the hook for the £40 or so whatever it is to pay this £200 loan back?

Yep. Well, that's what Martin Lewis said. A poll stated that 67% would rather it were an opt in and not have it.
  • pblakeney

Can anyone explain how I am wrong ...

You are not wrong.
    It is a stupid, stupid plan.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    It’s another tax from Rishi.
    Do you really imagine it will get dropped after 5 years?

Personally, I would rather pay the fuel costs which is reflective of a real market situation and not have the NI rise. The NI is taxing only workers to the benefit of protecting assets of wealthier people in later life (who in many cases may not even pay the additional NI).

For full disclosure, I would benefit more that way round but I actually think it’s fairer. By all means tax me elsewhere.
  • rick_chasey
    How do they think this is a good idea?
  • pblakeney

Being seen to be doing something.
    Few seem to think past next week.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,567

It's "doing something"

I think they think that financial difficulty can only ever take the form of a short term cash flow issue.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,382
    pblakeney said:

Being seen to be doing something.
    Few seem to think past next week.
    This is the same guy who wants to cut the ONS random sample Covid survey and free LFD tests to 'save money' but is content to write off billions of bad loans.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,422

The headlines were effectively that the Government was putting money towards the rising costs and many don't look beyond the headline. Add to that most voters probably love a bit of buy now pay later to fund their lifestyle (credit cards, PCP, phone deals).

There should at least be an option to not take the loan, for all anyone knows energy costs could be even higher by time we have to pay it back.
  • Can anyone do bikle? My knowledge of five letter cyclists is too limited.

I just got today's in four guesses.
    It's quite difficult to fail, to be honest.