Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 17,016
    I'm intrigued to know how long it will be before there are aero mountain bikes.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

Tangentially related, when I see these trick-based olympic skiers or snowboarders, or even the events where they race, I'm always surprised they've not gone to skin-tight kit yet.

I get the speeds are hardly mega high but surely in the Olympics you'd not leave any free speed on the table.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 20,079

Tangentially related, when I see these trick-based olympic skiers or snowboarders, or even the events where they race, I'm always surprised they've not gone to skin-tight kit yet.

I get the speeds are hardly mega high but surely in the Olympics you'd not leave any free speed on the table.
    Seems as likely as male surfers wearing Speedos.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 8,067
    edited January 2022
    I see it would make a difference, but I'm glad they don't go to that level. It's a fair playing field at the moment, so it would be a shame if someone pushed it that way to get an advantage.

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/winter-olympics-live-stream-how-to-watch-beijing-2022-online-for-free-schedule-events-calendar

I'm looking forward to the Winter Olympics. The opening ceremony is on the 4th of Feb, but a couple of events start on the 2nd.
  • First.Aspect

If they are doing tricks, rather than trying to get to the bottom of the hill quickly, wouldn't they be better off with baggy clothing? Or a parachute?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

If they are doing tricks, rather than trying to get to the bottom of the hill quickly, wouldn't they be better off with baggy clothing? Or a parachute?
    Surely more speed = more height to complete tricks etc

And they still wear baggies for that stupid cross-style whatever bmx style race, as well as for the moguls race.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

This!

Ski jumpers wear loose fitting suits to catch the air.

Modern freestyle presents a run in with more than enough speed and the skier/boarder will actually scrub enough off to get the right amplitude.

Speed simply isn’t a limiting factor, as the sport evolves to need more speed, the courses will get longer / steeper run ins.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,423
    Spa days. My wife recently left her long term job and was given an overnight stay at our local posh hotel which we did yesterday. As part of the package we had two 45 minute sessions at the pool and spa facilities (basically just a sauna, steam room and jacuzzi plus the pool).

By half way through the second 45 minutes we were both bored but most of the people there were on spa days which, having checked the website, are £85 to have the same two 45 minute sessions as we had plus 45 minutes in the relaxation room which I think is just a dark room with sounds and smelly oils. I really don't get paying £85 to have a few minutes in a sauna / jacuzzi and to lie on a lounger at the side of a pool wearing slippers and a bathrobe. I guess in most cases they were lazy Christmas presents. If you fancied a massage it was £80 for 30 minutes - I pay £35 for an hour of sports massage.

I like relaxing more than most but could do it just a effectively at home and save the £85.

It's up there with people who treat shopping as a hobby and a good use of your free time rather than an irritating necessity.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,191
    edited January 2022
    Pross said:

...As part of the package we had two 45 minute sessions at the pool and spa facilities (basically just a sauna, steam room and jacuzzi plus the pool)...

You could do similar at our local council pool for under £20 (2 x pool sessions + 2 x sauna etc sessions) pre covid. I found one session a week to be enough.
    Fairly sure that our local hotel with spa doesn't charge much more.
    Luxury hotel, luxury prices. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,423
    pblakeney said:

Pross said:

...As part of the package we had two 45 minute sessions at the pool and spa facilities (basically just a sauna, steam room and jacuzzi plus the pool)...

You could do similar at our local council pool for under £20 (2 x pool sessions + 2 x sauna etc sessions) pre covid. I found one session a week to be enough.
    Fairly sure that our local hotel with spa doesn't charge much more.
    Luxury hotel, luxury prices. 😉
    Yep, I wouldn't have paid for it but it was part of the overnight package. Just going for the day to do that seems weird though.

I would also be annoyed if I had the gym membership there and had to share the pool with people just standing in the water chatting with friends but then most people with a membership to the gym at places like that are there to be seen rather than to exercise.
  • briantrumpet
    Why would someone phone in to JoB on the subject of 'woke' and not be able to articulate at all what it is? He must have known what JoB is like.

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,382
    edited January 2022

Why would someone phone in to JoB on the subject of 'woke' and not be able to articulate at all what it is? He must have known what JoB is like.

I listened to that. It's excruciating. I couldn't decide whether he was just inarticulate or not being honest with himself. I'm not sure it helped anyone.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet
    rjsterry said:

I listened to that. It's excruciating. I couldn't decide whether he was just inarticulate or not being honest with himself. I'm not sure it helped anyone.

Quite. Though it does reflect somewhat the more articulate discussion we've had on CS.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

Quite. Though it does reflect somewhat the more articulate discussion we've had on CS.
    It's not difficult to make an inarticulate person look stupid and I don't think making people look stupid (regardless of whether they are actually stupid) is a good way to win converts.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• briantrumpet
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

It's not difficult to make an inarticulate person look stupid and I don't think making people look stupid (regardless of whether they are actually stupid) is a good way to win converts.

That's true, but that's part of JoB's schtick. That it's so well known is what makes it intriguing why people phone in to be proved as being idiots.

That video's had over a million views now, so I guess Darren did JoB a favour.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    This manages to intrigue, annoy and cheer me up.

Pillow fighting becomes professional.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-60198331

Winners took $5K
  • pblakeney
    edited February 2022
    People thinking that tagging people in this forum does anything, however well intentioned. @pinno
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    pblakeney said:

People thinking that tagging people in this forum does anything, however well intentioned. @pinno

#tagged
  • First.Aspect
    What's tagging?

This is the extent of my social media participation, so the use of hash symbols and ampersands is as perplexing to me as the emoji.
  • pblakeney
    edited February 2022
    Apparently tagging is the wrong word, not surprising from an old codger.
    I'd be surprised if you didn't know what I meant though. This thing - "@"
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rjsterry
    Adding "@" at the beginning of the username includes a link to that user's profile and notifies them that they have been mentioned.
    Adding "#" before a word tags your post with that word to make it easier for someone to find posts on that topic. You can 'follow' hashtags as well as individuals. BR doesn't support hashtags but Instagram and Twitter do.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pblakeney
    edited February 2022
    rjsterry said:

Adding "@" at the beginning of the username includes a link to that user's profile and notifies them that they have been mentioned.
    Adding "#" before a word tags your post with that word to make it easier for someone to find posts on that topic. You can 'follow' hashtags as well as individuals. BR doesn't support hashtags but Instagram and Twitter do.

@ - Not necessarily. I only found out about that function in settings this morning.
    # - Not much use if not supported.

#sillynonsense 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rjsterry
    pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

@ - Not necessarily. I only found out about that function in settings this morning.

#sillynonsense 😉
    Yes, you need your notifications switched on.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pblakeney
    rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

#sillynonsense 😉
    Yes, you need your notifications switched on.
    I really don't. 🤣
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,207
    pblakeney said:

I was hoping that he would get annoyed with notification emails (unless he has switched that function off).

What's tagging?

This is the extent of my social media participation, so the use of hash symbols and ampersands is as perplexing to me as the emoji.

If you simply put the ampersand in on bike radar and then hit a letter or two or even 3... watch what happens.
    Try @Fir
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    Then you can notify yourself :smiley:
  • briantrumpet
    pinno said:

pblakeney said:

I was hoping that he would get annoyed with notification emails (unless he has switched that function off).

What's tagging?

If you simply put the ampersand in on bike radar and then hit a letter or two or even 3... watch what happens.
    Try @Fir

Point of order: '&' is an ampersand. The word 'ampersand' literally means " 'and by itself' and" (from 'and per se and', as opposed to '&c' which means 'etcetera'), the word first being cited in the late 18th century.
  • pinno
    edited February 2022

pinno said:

pblakeney said:

What's tagging?

Try @Fir

Point of order: '&' is an ampersand. The word 'ampersand' literally means " 'and by itself' and" (from 'and per se and', as opposed to '&c' which means 'etcetera'), the word first being cited in the late 18th century.
    I am tired and with limited brain function at the best of times.
    Spare me.
  • briantrumpet
    pinno said:

pinno said:

pblakeney said:

What's tagging?

Try @Fir

I was tired.
    Spare me.

What, on Cake Stop? 🤔
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,177
    Is there a word for @ ?
    (as in the symbol, even I know what it means)