Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 17,015

I still don't get NFTs. https://www.julienslive.com/lot-details/index/catalog/417/lot/175690?url=/auctions/catalog/id/417

Fair play to Julian Lennon for getting someone to pay $22,400 so they can not own a guitar.

An NFT is a unique and traceable nothing. If someone else wants to have nothing that no one else has got, then the NFT is worth what that person is willing to pay for it. They could pay in kind, for example with another part of a not a guitar, or with some other not instrument, or with money. But the money need not actually exist, if we all agree that it does.

I think that's all about right.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    It’s surely the emperors new clothes for the modern day.

‘But anybody can use / see that digital thing’,
    ‘Yes, but only one can own it!’

Some people are too stupid for their own good. No doubt we’ll get told we’re out of touch but snake oil sales is hardly a new concept.
  • First.Aspect
    Short nosed saddles. Stiffer because they are shorter. Not lighter. But good because (according to the geniuses at road.cc) you can get further forward on them without getting to a narrow part.

Que?
  • morstar
    Exactly how many adverts are using Pixies songs?
    Specifically weird covers of Where Is My Mind.
    I’m wondering if there is a pixies ad agency somewhere.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Not so much intrigue as me not understanding but why are the rozzers who are being charged with "grossly offensive" messages not allowed to be names or the contents of the message not allowed to be known?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,190
    edited February 2022
    Tbf, I think all cases should be handled this way until someone is found guilty.
    They need to change how they handle all other cases but it does appear to be "favourable".
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • First.Aspect

Not so much intrigue as me not understanding but why are the rozzers who are being charged with "grossly offensive" messages not allowed to be names or the contents of the message not allowed to be known?

Yeah if they publish then it just gives a voice to all the fkcutards who agree with them.

Plus in this day and age it can be pretty dangerous to the accused, information on address and wotnot being so easy to find. I imagine some of them have families who aren't ignorant prejudiced barstewards.
  • rick_chasey
    Sure, but it's no different to any other offence, and we hear all about them, right?

• Do we need to conduct a survey into how prevalent it is for rozzers to shag victimes of crime.

I have only known one copper but he definitely had offers from victims of domestic abuse
  • First.Aspect

Sure, but it's no different to any other offence, and we hear all about them, right?

I know, but I'm not sure we should. Particularly for some offences even being accused and found not guilty is like being sprayed by a skunk.
  • rick_chasey
    I'm getting at the preferential treatment of the police but sure.
  • First.Aspect

I'm getting at the preferential treatment of the police but sure.

In this case I think it is justifiable because they will be targeted. It doesn't compare to some Alf Garnet getting a fpn or something like that.

• Just to point the disrespect to arms/hands in the Winter Olympics which is mainly made up of sh1tter limb sports. The Scottish "hurry, hurry" women lead by exmple here.

Blokes and Women up for a Gold, guaranteed silvers.

Bloody good going that.
  • morstar

Just to point the disrespect to arms/hands in the Winter Olympics which is mainly made up of sh1tter limb sports. The Scottish "hurry, hurry" women lead by exmple here.

Blokes and Women up for a Gold, guaranteed silvers.

Bloody good going that.
    I’m intrigued as to how a cycling forum has coined the term ‘sh1ttter limbed sports’ for sports that involve the legs.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 8,067
    edited February 2022
    Still a great achievement getting a Silver medal for the blokes. Good luck to the women for tomorrow.
  • focuszing723
    edited February 2022

• focuszing723
    edited February 2022
    Bloody good going, getting those four points off that 7th end.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,970
    I found this intriguing.

There was a program on last night about the Dunkirk evacuation (JJ Chalmers, Ch5).
    He featured one chap who was at an abandoned cement works on the bank of the River Escaut (the "Scheldt in Belgium and Holland), and was transported to the beach at Dunkirk. They were at the cement works, presumably the same place, not just a cement works?

So, that was abandoned in 1940, and it's still standing, still abandoned in 2021 when the made the programme? No-one is desperate for land around there, obviously.

The older I get, the better I was.

• masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,624
    Yeah, it would probably be waterside apts here. Maybe it's full of live mortar.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,422
    capt_slog said:

I found this intriguing.

There was a program on last night about the Dunkirk evacuation (JJ Chalmers, Ch5).
    He featured one chap who was at an abandoned cement works on the bank of the River Escaut (the "Scheldt in Belgium and Holland), and was transported to the beach at Dunkirk. They were at the cement works, presumably the same place, not just a cement works?

So, that was abandoned in 1940, and it's still standing, still abandoned in 2021 when the made the programme? No-one is desperate for land around there, obviously.

Temporarily abandoned in 1940 due to the war? That said, it doesn't feel like a part of the world where flat development land is at a premium to justify the cost of demolition and remediation.
  • pblakeney
    What is the difference between an account and a pot?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,970
    Pross said:

capt_slog said:

I found this intriguing.

Temporarily abandoned in 1940 due to the war? That said, it doesn't feel like a part of the world where flat development land is at a premium to justify the cost of demolition and remediation.
    Could be. But it didn't look like it was a going concern.

The older I get, the better I was.

• pblakeney
    DUP MLA Christopher Stalford dies aged 39.
    This guy was only 39.

Veronese68 wrote:
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    capt_slog said:

I found this intriguing.

It'll be brownfield to the point of not economical for remediation. Is my guess.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    pblakeney said:

DUP MLA Christopher Stalford dies aged 39.
    This guy was only 39.

Incredibly sad to read of someone so young passing, but I will be honest I read it three times to make sure it really said "39".
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Curling while white just screams criminal intent.
  • Pross said:

capt_slog said:

I found this intriguing.

I would have thought cement works would have been at a premium in the world.

Are we sure it was made in 1921 as we would be 100ish
  • Pross said:

capt_slog said:

I found this intriguing.

I would have thought cement works would have been at a premium in the world.

Are we sure it was made in 1921 as we would be 100ish
    "river escaut cement works" throws up a direct hit but it may be a new site
  • An AI site that will write things for you.

https://beta.openai.com/examples

I asked it to write me an angry bikeradar post about carlton kirby's commentary:

What is Carlton Kirby thinking? His commentary during the race today was terrible. He was constantly making comments about the riders' abilities and how they were performing, and it was really getting on my nerves. He's not a rider, so he doesn't know what he's talking about. And he's not even very good at providing analysis. He just makes random comments that don't really add anything to the race. I wish he would just shut up and let us enjoy the race.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,790

Can anyone do bikle? My knowledge of five letter cyclists is too limited.

I just got today's in four guesses.
    It's quite difficult to fail, to be honest.
    I just can't come up with enough 5 letter cyclists.
    As long as what you enter isn't a cyclist, it's not accepted so if I use the ones with vowels in to work out what's there, it's then a question of filling in the gaps with what sounds like it might be a name. Over and over.
    I've been enjoying Worldle and playing crosswordle. I gave up on bikle.