Comments

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227
    @ is asperand
    & is ampersand

HTH
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 20,079
    Anyway, the etymology is something very trivial to file away under something I've recently learnt. I wonder if there's another word that duplicates a word inside itself like that.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,177
    edited February 2022
    orraloon said:

@ is asperand
    & is ampersand

HTH

Thank you sir

And I’ve just learned another abbreviation too
  • Mad_Malx
    orraloon said:

@ is asperand
    & is ampersand

HTH

Thank you sir

pinno said:

pblakeney said:

People thinking that tagging people in this forum does anything, however well intentioned. @pinno

I was hoping that he would get annoyed with notification emails (unless he has switched that function off).

What's tagging?

This is the extent of my social media participation, so the use of hash symbols and ampersands is as perplexing to me as the emoji.

If you simply put the ampersand in on bike radar and then hit a letter or two or even 3... watch what happens.
    Try @Fir

Point of order: '&' is an ampersand. The word 'ampersand' literally means " 'and by itself' and" (from 'and per se and', as opposed to '&c' which means 'etcetera'), the word first being cited in the late 18th century.
    I’d come across that one already, but in addition to Loon’s naming of asperand (for which I find no etymology) I now see “ampersat” as an alternative name for @, by the same logic as ampersand.

• briantrumpet
    edited February 2022
    Mad_Malx said:

orraloon said:

@ is asperand
    & is ampersand

HTH

Thank you sir

And I’ve just learned another abbreviation too

The OED hasn't yet caught up with 'asperand'. Doesn't seem to be terribly popular as a word, which might explain why.

• orraloon
    Nah man, jist google it, ken.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,624
    I keep it nice and simple, as like pinno I get tired.
    &-and
    @-at
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,207
    Wtf is 'hth' ? (whilst we're at it).
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,624
    pinno said:

WTFK
  • orraloon
    pinno said:

WTFYAM?
  • pinno
    masjer said:

pinno said:

WTFK
    Stop being a twit.
  • pinno
    orraloon said:

pinno said:

WTFYAM?
    and you.
  • @pinno JFGI.

HTH => “Hope That Helps”
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • pinno

@pinno JFGI.

HTH => “Hope That Helps”

Thank you.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 17,016

pinno said:

pblakeney said:

People thinking that tagging people in this forum does anything, however well intentioned. @pinno

I was hoping that he would get annoyed with notification emails (unless he has switched that function off).

What's tagging?

This is the extent of my social media participation, so the use of hash symbols and ampersands is as perplexing to me as the emoji.

If you simply put the ampersand in on bike radar and then hit a letter or two or even 3... watch what happens.
    Try @Fir

Point of order: '&' is an ampersand. The word 'ampersand' literally means " 'and by itself' and" (from 'and per se and', as opposed to '&c' which means 'etcetera'), the word first being cited in the late 18th century.
    What's the Latin for @, Brian?
  • Mad_Malx

pinno said:

pblakeney said:

What's tagging?

Try @Fir

It's Groundhog day
  • briantrumpet

pinno said:

pblakeney said:

What's tagging?

Try @Fir

Trick question. I don't think there is one, as it comes as part of the declension of the noun.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,423
    How my dog is still managing to open the back door when I lock it with the key. For months he has managed to open it when it isn't locked but I've lifted the handle.

He's started doing it so often I got fed up and locked it properly with the key, the first time he opened it I assumed I hadn't fully turned the key but he just did it again after I'd checked and the handle wasn't moving.

I'm going to have to take the key out but the way he's going he'll probably put it back in and unlock it.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Does anyone know if the different hill sizes in ski jumping favour different jumpers?
  • orraloon
    Just how tedious moneykickball is to watch. Not watched any since prob Euros last year, today bit of Forest v Leicester (ok several goals) and currently the (boring!) Afcon final. Tap, tap, punt, tap, mishit, overhit, fall over, whine, "he touched me". Booorinnnggg.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,791

Does anyone know if the different hill sizes in ski jumping favour different jumpers?

It's an interesting question. Ryōyū Kobayashi who just won the normal hill won everything in 2018/9 including the ski flying title. The latter is quite a lot bigger than a normal hill (k-point of 240m or something). That said, I presume there must be some variance in performance, but it is definitely not like Cavandish winning the tour.

Incidentally, finding info on ski jumping is really hard. It's very popular at the Olympics just not in the English speaking world. I don't watch it any more though. I can still remember when the 200m club was very small.

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,382

pinno said:

pblakeney said:

What's tagging?

Try @Fir

And the & symbol is just a distorted 'et'.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,382
    Pross said:

How my dog is still managing to open the back door when I lock it with the key. For months he has managed to open it when it isn't locked but I've lifted the handle.

He's started doing it so often I got fed up and locked it properly with the key, the first time he opened it I assumed I hadn't fully turned the key but he just did it again after I'd checked and the handle wasn't moving.

I'm going to have to take the key out but the way he's going he'll probably put it back in and unlock it.

Are you sure he's not just climbing out of the window?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pinno
    rjsterry said:

Pross said:

Are you sure he's not just climbing out of the window?
    ...and in Pross's car cruising for a Poodle.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    The Imperial War Museum hasn’t had an Afghanistan, Iraq or Syria exhibition yet.

Probably to do with uncomfortable truths.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Ben6899 said:

The Imperial War Museum hasn’t had an Afghanistan, Iraq or Syria exhibition yet.

which begs the question of when is a war a war and when is history, history.

Do we know if they did a Korean War exhibition and when was it and same for the Falklands "Conflict"
  • Ben6899

Ben6899 said:

which begs the question of when is a war a war and when is history, history.

Do we know if they did a Korean War exhibition and when was it and same for the Falklands "Conflict"

Northern Ireland
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • pinno
    Toxteth '81.
  • Ben6899
    pinno said:

Toxteth '81.

that was an escalation.
    Ben

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

It's an interesting question. Ryōyū Kobayashi who just won the normal hill won everything in 2018/9 including the ski flying title. The latter is quite a lot bigger than a normal hill (k-point of 240m or something). That said, I presume there must be some variance in performance, but it is definitely not like Cavandish winning the tour.

Incidentally, finding info on ski jumping is really hard. It's very popular at the Olympics just not in the English speaking world. I don't watch it any more though. I can still remember when the 200m club was very small.

Eurosport cover the whole season, and they seem quite clued up.

I just wonder as there are two competitions in the olympics, normal and the big hills and to my untrained eye it just looks like another opportunity for exactly the same competitors, which would seem to detract from the event.

I therefore, assume there is enough difference between them. Maybe it is less about landing technique on the big ones and more about the 'flight' bit.