Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,177

Mad_Malx said:

Can anyone tell the difference once you’ve stuck the tonic and censored in it?

You are clearly drinking the wrong Gin.

Or you've had too much of the fruit punch at the lab Xmas parties over the years and killed your tongue.
    ...or maybe the wrong tonic.
    (Diluted ) analytical grade ethanol doesn't taste of much at all (except warm) ....so I've heard. I don't fancy the bench swabbing stuff.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 17,017
    Mad_Malx said:

Mad_Malx said:

Can anyone tell the difference once you’ve stuck the tonic and censored in it?

You are clearly drinking the wrong Gin.

Or you've had too much of the fruit punch at the lab Xmas parties over the years and killed your tongue.
    ...or maybe the wrong tonic.
    (Diluted ) analytical grade ethanol doesn't taste of much at all (except warm) ....so I've heard. I don't fancy the bench swabbing stuff.
    From what I recall lab ethanol tastes largely of orange juice.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Big fan of angostura bitters though strictly speaking that's a pink gin.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,423
    Wrong thread for this as it was trivially annoying but the venue where we held our Christmas party had several dozen different gins behind the bar but when I wanted an ale they had to go to their other building next door to get me one (plus they only had bottled ales and, instead of bringing a load over, they had to go and get me one everytime I went to the bar then eventually ran out).
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,492
    Tashwife prefers much more tonic than I do so it's often a matter of taste. I don't mind gins neat. Rum in much the same way
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,145
    Must remember to stock up on gin when I go to the supermarket. Will keep an eye out for a few of these suggestions.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,207
    But the way gin should be served is critical to the flavour.
    I worked in a cocktail bar and was taught how to serve it properly.
    I never liked G&T until one night after having served hundreds of them (properly), I tried it and it was good.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • First.Aspect
    pinno said:

I never liked G&T until one night after having served hundreds of them (properly), I tried it and it was good.

Most establishments drown a forensically detectable trace of gin in tonic, and put a tiny piece of desiccated lemon on, not in it.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 8,067
    I thought gin was an old ladies drink?
  • First.Aspect

I thought gin was an old ladies drink?

You are a warm weak beer person aren't you?
  • pinno

pinno said:

Most establishments drown a forensically detectable trace of gin in tonic, and put a tiny piece of desiccated lemon on, not in it.
    ...off an optic into a wine glass with a couple of ice cubes floating around in it.

We had to use a measure from the bottle, then pour the gin slowly over ice (to the brim of a slim Jim), then add tonic and a slice of fresh lemon or lime down the side.

But personally I would prefer a long Vodka to a G&T.
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566
    Pross said:

Wrong thread for this as it was trivially annoying but the venue where we held our Christmas party had several dozen different gins behind the bar but when I wanted an ale they had to go to their other building next door to get me one (plus they only had bottled ales and, instead of bringing a load over, they had to go and get me one everytime I went to the bar then eventually ran out).

Just out of interest Pross (I believe you live in Wales) (I appreciate should be in annoying also) but what are your opinions on MUP on alcohol.

I live right on the border and there are now "beer tourists" from Wales making the trip to supermarkets in England to stock up.

For example the other week one of the large supermarkets had 18 Carling for £12 in Chester (England) £15.36 in Queensferry (Wales) and similarly 18 John Smith's £13.50 & £16.80 respectively.

I assume the extra taxation is meant to go the Welsh NHS?
  • womack said:

Pross said:

Just out of interest Pross (I believe you live in Wales) (I appreciate should be in annoying also) but what are your opinions on MUP on alcohol.

I live right on the border and there are now "beer tourists" from Wales making the trip to supermarkets in England to stock up.

For example the other week one of the large supermarkets had 18 Carling for £12 in Chester (England) £15.36 in Queensferry (Wales) and similarly 18 John Smith's £13.50 & £16.80 respectively.

I don't think there is any extra tax (apart from a bit of extra VAT). The extra profits go to the retailer and/or the producer.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    There is also a minimum price for alcohol in England. It is not a MUP but the minimum price is cost + duty. This means that it can't be sold as a loss leader.
  • womack said:

Pross said:

I love the idea of somebody travelling to save £3:30 on 18 cans of Carling. I get that they could be buying volume but even so there has to be easier ways of earning/saving money?
  • rick_chasey

womack said:

Pross said:

I love the idea of somebody travelling to save £3:30 on 18 cans of Carling. I get that they could be buying volume but even so there has to be easier ways of earning/saving money?
    Depends how tight they are ;-)

I'd be more curious about health tourists given that I recently found out on here that NHS wales is not the same as NHS in England.
  • pinno

womack said:

Pross said:

Pop across the border in one of these:

• womack

womack said:

Pross said:

To be fair where we are situated you can live in Wales but your nearest supermarket can be in England and vice versa.
  • womack

womack said:

Pross said:

I'd be more curious about health tourists given that I recently found out on here that NHS wales is not the same as NHS in England.

But I expect Rick your knowledge of Westminster closing many border lying hospitals in Wales pre devolution I would imagine is not that great.
  • rick_chasey
    womack said:

womack said:

Pross said:

But I expect Rick your knowledge of Westminster closing many border lying hospitals in Wales pre devolution I would imagine is not that great.
    You would indeed be correct.

Was this specifically related to devolution or coincidental?
  • womack

womack said:

womack said:

Pross said:

There was a concerted effort back in the 80's / 90's to close smaller rural hospitals along the border with the "plan" that people from outlying areas would then travel to the "major centres" Chester / Shrewsbury etc.

Obviously when devolution came in and devolved NHS it caused a problem as people living on the Welsh side of the border and who had had their centres closed had to travel to England for certain proceedures / treatments thus causing consternation amongst English residents that people who lived in Wales were getting "free treatment at England's expense.

What is never mentioned is that the English NHS charge the Welsh NHS for each patient's treatment.

One such place was Mancot Maternity Hospital, birthplace of Kevin Ratcliffe and Gary Speed who of course both went on to play for Wales. After the closure a certain Michael Owen from the same village came along, Mancot had closed so he was born in Chester. So despite spending his entire life and schooling in Wales, (and still lives there) courtesy of three days at Chester Hospital Michael Owen was English!
  • 5 spam flags to clear a post, but 10 abuse flags.

Bizarre.
  • womack said:

womack said:

Pross said:

Concentrating resources in centres of excellence was a nationwide policy. Unfortunately people cling to their 3rd rate local hospital like a comfort blanket. A medical professional will tell you that you need the ambulance to carry on to somewhere decent.

This could be seen as a belated acknowledgement of the medical advances made in the second half of the 20th century
  • rick_chasey
    Have noticed younger colleagues who aren't on that much paying for private healthcare as "you can't rely on the NHS to sort you out in time" which definitely is a shift in mentality from 10 years ago.
  • Is anybody else seeing ads for the Uni of Plymouth?

Just wondering if I can add it to my evidence that Google/Apple/FB listen in or if it is a coincidence
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,192
    edited January 2022

Have noticed younger colleagues who aren't on that much paying for private healthcare as "you can't rely on the NHS to sort you out in time" which definitely is a shift in mentality from 10 years ago.

There was a bit on BBC News this morning about how the ambulance service is overstretched and people are dying as a result. Doubt being private would help with that.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    edited January 2022
    pblakeney said:

There was a bit on BBC News this morning about how the ambulance service is overstretched and people are dying as a result. Doubt being private would help with that.
    It doesn't have to be that dramatic.

That niggling thing which affects the quality of your life that there's a months long waiting list for to fix; that is a different kettle of fish with private.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,192

pblakeney said:

It doesn't have to be that dramatic.

That niggling thing which affects the quality of your life that there's a months long waiting list for to fix; that is a different kettle of fish with private.

True, but it is an ongoing concern that even those with private care need a fully funded NHS. You need an ambulance to arrive ASAP and who knows when you may need one.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    Intrigued by the opportunity to apply to be a magistrate.
    Seriously considering applying.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,423

I've had private healthcare through work for pretty much the last 25 years and have only used it so far for a couple of physio appointments on my back. I had family cover when my daughter was seriously ill (brain tumour) but concluded that the only benefit going private would be a nicer room on the occasions she had to stay in hospital and suspected the actual treatment would be to a lesser standard in all likelihood (we got a per night payment for not using private instead). No doubt at some point I'll need a knee / hip replacement as my ageing body fails me but other than sporting injuries I'm struggling to think where it is worthwhile someone young and healthy paying for private healthcare.