Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 17,018
    You are all kidding yourselves that you understand emoticons.

I think one of the kids in said YouPube video was asked how they would react to something like, "thanks! 🙂"

And the answer was something like, "that's quite aggressive."

Um, okay....
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,196
    Snowflakes. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

I think one of the kids in said YouPube video was asked how they would react to something like, "thanks! 🙂"

Um, okay....

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,387

Um, okay....

Oh, it's all so complicated, isn't it?

Have you considered that the YouTube video is a wind-up for this kind of performative fogeyishness.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • First.Aspect
    rjsterry said:

Um, okay....

Oh, it's all so complicated, isn't it?

Have you considered that the YouTube video is a wind-up for this kind of performative fogeyishness.
    Sadly I haven't a clue.
  • rjsterry
    I mean, who doesn't like using jargon to mock the out-group without them realising?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,208
    rjsterry said:

I mean, who doesn't like using jargon to mock the out-group without them realising?

I have never seen that in here.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • First.Aspect
    pinno said:

rjsterry said:

I have never seen that in here.
    🤨
  • pinno
    Brian's perspective is that the emoticons are part of an ever evolvong language and that is both interesting and exciting to him but personally, they fit in with an ever abbreviated visual and verbal landscape. English can be such a rich and multi layered langage but that is being eroded.

For example:
    You buy a newspaper. You sit and read a large percentage of it.... because you paid for it.
    Now you skim news sources and pick what catches your eye.
    Shorty (now 9), gets a restricted time slot on the laptop. She heads straight for Youtube in seacrh of instant entertainment, sound bites.
    This came to a head when I noticed a pattern: I will read to her on weekday nights and we can watch something at the weekends. I have started x number of books and not got far because she looses interest and gets fidgety (just like you are now FA). I reminded her that stories build. It takes time and give it that time because they can be good. Langiage looses the potential of richness during any form of abbreviation.

She likes Roald Dahl, i'll give her that and she will read on her own but Dahl gets stuck in straight away, so the gratification is immediate.

Headlines have to be a shock or over emphasised because without which, people arent going to sit up and notice.

What as been illustrated in this conversation so far, is that use of the emoticon, even though ironically it's use is intended as a clear message, can be ambiguous.
  • First.Aspect
    I don't know why I'm being singled out as being fidgety.
  • pinno

I wasn't flattering myself into thinking that what I was writing was interesting enough to keep your attention.
    I am quite happy to single out others.
    Suggestions on a postcard please.

TBH, it's Mince n tatties tonight and i'm just killing time.
  • First.Aspect
    pinno said:

I wasn't flattering myself into thinking that what I was writing was interesting enough to keep your attention.

I couldn't be less fidgety. Just ask my cats. I have the most purrfurred lap because there are so few earthquakes.

I'm hurt.
  • pblakeney
    pinno said:

Pick on me if you wish.
    I tend ignore all comments so a few more won't matter. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pinno
    pblakeney said:

pinno said:

Pick on me if you wish.
    Don't think I haven't noticed.
  • pinno

pinno said:

I couldn't be less fidgety. Just ask my cats. I have the most purrfurred lap because there are so few earthquakes.

I'm hurt.
    You're not, so I am not concerned.

Have you posted pics of those cats? I seem to remember 1 tabby and 1 black cat. Is that correct?

This morning I arrived at school to drop Tricky off. 1 very pretty long haired female cat was peering through the gate from the outside (she lives there) and a tabby (another female) stalks up behind her. I thought perhaps this was going to be a friendly encounter but all hell broke loose and they were rolling over and over pulling lumps out of each other with accompanied cat noises. I wasn't having this and split them up with a push from my foot.
    They then noticed me and decided to carry on fighting 20 yards away on someone's front lawn until they went there seperate ways, hair on end, never looing eye contact.
  • rjsterry
    pinno said:

Brian's perspective is that the emoticons are part of an ever evolvong language and that is both interesting and exciting to him but personally, they fit in with an ever abbreviated visual and verbal landscape. English can be such a rich and multi layered langage but that is being eroded.

For example:
    You buy a newspaper. You sit and read a large percentage of it.... because you paid for it.
    Shorty (now 9), gets a restricted time slot on the laptop. She heads straight for Youtube in seacrh of instant entertainment, sound bites.
    This came to a head when I noticed a pattern: I will read to her on weekday nights and we can watch something at the weekends. I have started x number of books and not got far because she looses interest and gets fidgety (just like you are now FA). I reminded her that stories build. It takes time and give it that time because they can be good. Langiage looses the potential of richness during any form of abbreviation.

She likes Roald Dahl, i'll give her that and she will read on her own but Dahl gets stuck in straight away, so the gratification is immediate.

Headlines have to be a shock or over emphasised because without which, people arent going to sit up and notice.

What as been illustrated in this conversation so far, is that use of the emoticon, even though ironically it's use is intended as a clear message, can be ambiguous.

Having been there, don't worry about it. Youngest was really funny about reading up until a few months ago - could do it, but had to be nagged to do it - then found some old Tintin books we had dug out of the loft. Something clicked and now we have to nag her to stop reading and go to bed. Not sure why Tintin was the thing that did it, but at a guess I'd say it was something she found rather than something we said she had to read.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• First.Aspect
    edited December 2021
    pinno said:

pinno said:

I'm hurt.
    You're not, so I am not concerned.

Have you posted pics of those cats? I seem to remember 1 tabby and 1 black cat. Is that correct?

This morning I arrived at school to drop Tricky off. 1 very pretty long haired female cat was peering through the gate from the outside (she lives there) and a tabby (another female) stalks up behind her. I thought perhaps this was going to be a friendly encounter but all hell broke loose and they were rolling over and over pulling lumps out of each other with accompanied cat noises. I wasn't having this and split them up with a push from my foot.
    They then noticed me and decided to carry on fighting 20 yards away on someone's front lawn until they went there seperate ways, hair on end, never looing eye contact.
    We have 4 now. Tabby and black cats now 16 and slowing down. Two Bengals, who are a bit mad. One in particular seems to be the reincarnation of a gremlin about half the time, and a tribble the other half.
  • pinno
    rjsterry said:

pinno said:

For example:

Having been there, don't worry about it. Youngest was really funny about reading up until a few months ago - could do it, but had to be nagged to do it - then found some old Tintin books we had dug out of the loft. Something clicked and now we have to nag her to stop reading and go to bed. Not sure why Tintin was the thing that did it, but at a guess I'd say it was something she found rather than something we said she had to read.
    Oh, she read all my Tintins in the space of 6 weeks, aged 8.
    It's since she has been taking to the laptop that her attention span with reading has reduced - at home at least.
    I am not worried as she is doing very well at school. It's just that I treasure that time with her reading a good book.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Tintin 💪🏻💪🏻
  • pblakeney

Tintin 💪🏻💪🏻

That's Popeye.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney
    pinno said:

pblakeney said:

pinno said:

Pick on me if you wish.
    Don't think I haven't noticed.
    One consolation for getting old.
    You eventually get to the stage where a constant thought is, frankly my dear...
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pinno
    pblakeney said:

Tintin 💪🏻💪🏻

That's Popeye.
    I thought it was 2 ducks.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 20,089
    pinno said:

pblakeney said:

Tintin 💪🏻💪🏻

That's Popeye.
    I thought it was 2 ducks.
    For ages I made this out to be something much ruder than a nose... 👃
  • rjsterry
    This place is a good advert for Specsavers.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 20,089
    rjsterry said:

I generally don't view yellow noses from below. Well, or any other colour, come to that. But then I'm not really short.
  • pinno
    rjsterry said:

Half past 3 at the bus stop.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,424
    Why I've just watched Skyfall (for the umpteenth time) on ITV2 with adverts when I have the DVD sat underneath the TV.
  • pblakeney
    Pross said:

Why I've just watched Skyfall (for the umpteenth time) on ITV2 with adverts when I have the DVD sat underneath the TV.

🤣🤣🤣
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,791
    Pross said:

Presumably the DVD requires you to get up from the sofa to watch it.
  • First.Aspect
    Cyclists are above horse riders in the "heirarchy of road users".

It looks a long way down from there, to me, and the horse less likely to do what it is told than my bike is.