Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,635

pangolin said:

Posts in a mix of upper and lower case. Not usual mix anyway.

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/mocking-spongebob

Don't care what the origin is, I'm in the "it's annoying" camp.
    I'll remember this in your next post about language :)
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,791
    pangolin said:

Thanks. I've never seen it posted with a sponge bob picture - not that that would really have helped.

Noting I'm old before my time and don't understand emojis or emoticons, it seems to be broadly on a level with "your mum" , but perhaps I'm missing a subtlety.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 20,089
    edited December 2021

pangolin said:

Thanks. I've never seen it posted with a sponge bob picture - not that that would really have helped.

Noting I'm old before my time and don't understand emojis or emoticons, it seems to be broadly on a level with "your mum" , but perhaps I'm missing a subtlety.
    I've actually slightly got into emojis & emoticons: they are actually a genuinely (academically) interesting linguistic development. Having resisted them for ages, I do use them a bit on social media. However, I do dislike them intensely when overused, in the wrong context, or when people think that a ;) excuses a lazy insult.

The academic interest is how they provide paralinguistic added meaning (paralinguistics being all the other things we do, outside of the actual words themselves, when conveying what we mean: things like facial expressions, hand gestures, intonation, etc., or even WriTiNg LiKe ThIs.

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,635

pangolin said:

Yeah it's the written version of repeating what they've said back to them in a silly voice.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 17,018

pangolin said:

I've actually slightly got into emojis & emoticons: they are actually a genuinely (academically) interesting linguistic development. Having resisted them for ages, I do use them a bit on social media. However, I do dislike them intensely when overused, in the wrong context, or when people think that a ;) excuses a lazy insult.

The academic interest is how they provide paralinguistic added meaning (paralinguistics being all the other things we do, outside of the actual words themselves, when conveying what we mean: things like facial expressions, hand gestures, intonation, etc., or even WriTiNg LiKe ThIs.

Now see what you've done, Big Bean?
  • briantrumpet

pangolin said:

Sorry ;)
  • First.Aspect
    I watched a YouPube video the other week, of kids explaining emoticon use. Told me enough to know that even a smiley, when used injudiciously, conveys "fuck you".

At my age, best I could hope for is to be laughed at (not with) for the dad dancing equivalent of emoticon use.
  • briantrumpet
    edited December 2021

I watched a YouPube video the other week, of kids explaining emoticon use. Told me enough to know that even a smiley, when used injudiciously, conveys "censored you".

At my age, best I could hope for is to be laughed at (not with) for the dad dancing equivalent of emoticon use.

Yeah, you've got to know you're shït.
  • TheBigBean

pangolin said:

Sorry ;)
    They all just look like yellow blobs to me, so I ignore them. I do realise that this means I'm probably missing out on part of the meaning.

Emoticons are no better though. Whilst I'm able to more easily identify the differences, I have no idea what they mean.

Probably one of these blobs is appropriate for this post.

:'(:|B):#:/:o:s:p
  • First.Aspect

I watched a YouPube video the other week, of kids explaining emoticon use. Told me enough to know that even a smiley, when used injudiciously, conveys "censored you".

Honestly, it would be safer to visit a favella in Caracas and try to ask directions to the nearest bank in a posh English accent than to try to communicate with anyone under the age of 25 using emoticons.
  • briantrumpet

pangolin said:

Sorry ;)
    They all just look like yellow blobs to me, so I ignore them. I do realise that this means I'm probably missing out on part of the meaning.

Emoticons are no better though. Whilst I'm able to more easily identify the differences, I have no idea what they mean.

You obviously suffer from emoji-prosopagnosia.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,208

Honestly, it would be safer to visit a favella in Caracas and try to ask directions to the nearest bank in a posh English accent than to try to communicate with anyone under the age of 25 using emoticons.
    Have you tried communicating with the under 18's?!
    They open their mouths and stuff comes out.
    I don't know what the stuff is, it's just stuff.
    My 9 year old is picking up the school vernacular and it's mind boggling.

I'm picking up the odd word but the rest, i'm always playing catch up.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • briantrumpet
    pinno said:

And that's exactly why language is so brilliant. No-one controls it. There are no rules, and it's continually being reinvented.
  • First.Aspect
    pinno said:

No, but it scares me that some of them will be applying for jobs with us soon. The 25-30s we have struggle with fully formed sentences, and use the Jeremy Clarkson approach for formal legally sounding things, such as inserting hereinbefore, for no reason other than it sounds better to them than "above".
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,208

pinno said:

And that's exactly why language is so brilliant. No-one controls it. There are no rules, and it's continually being reinvented.
    Well... the pace of change is incredible and unfortunately, the kids are picking up so many US-centric terms, abbreviations, etc through Youtube and other media.

Driving along with my mate in the passenger seat. Walking on the pavement is a girl 17-19 years old(?). I see her regularly.
    I say "She is beautiful"
    Mate says "Yeah, she's very cute".
    I said jokingly (he's quite a few years older than me), "You're single, go chat her up"
    He says "Oh sure, she'll open her mouth and then you realise that she is an alien from another planet".

We both laughed.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • TheBigBean

pangolin said:

Sorry ;)

Probably. I googled the most distinctive one - the yellow blob with sunglasses - and found out it is a smiling face with sunglasses. How does that help someone emote?
  • briantrumpet

pangolin said:

Sorry ;)

Probably. I googled the most distinctive one - the yellow blob with sunglasses - and found out it is a smiling face with sunglasses. How does that help someone emote?

Just a few of them are 'useful', with the vast majority being silly/humorous. But, given that with best friends, a lot of time is spent just talking shït, because that's what friends do with each other, most emojis fall into that category - just humorous shït.

If you try to pin down "How and why do people use humour?", then you'll probably find out why it's hard to pin down emoji usage.

If it's any comfort, the 'meaning' of a lot of them pass me by, and leave me 🤔
  • longy
    longy Posts: 74
    Clothing. I find it odd that different colours of the same item consistently size up differently.

I found a basic sports t-shirt in Decathlon that fitted really well in blue, but when I bought more the black was tighter and the grey was unwearable. Sample size was greater than on in each case.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,387

pangolin said:

Sorry ;)

1. Unhappy/crying (there are a couple of versions signifying degrees of unhappiness from just unhappy to sobbing uncontrollably)
    2. Neutral face - sometimes signifying a slight sigh.
    3. Cool!
    4. Grimace
    5. Indecision/scepticism/ mild annoyance depending on the context - literally pulling one corner of your mouth down.
    6. Surprise!
    7. Confused/disturbed
    8. Poking tongue out

I don't think there's one for affected fuddyduddy-ness.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    rjsterry said:

🍆
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    (Sorry - just kidding 😉)
  • briantrumpet
    rjsterry said:

pangolin said:

Sorry ;)

1. Unhappy/crying (there are a couple of versions signifying degrees of unhappiness from just unhappy to sobbing uncontrollably)
    3. Cool!
    4. Grimace
    5. Indecision/scepticism/ mild annoyance depending on the context - literally pulling one corner of your mouth down.
    6. Surprise!
    7. Confused/disturbed
    8. Poking tongue out

🤣

Of course, they are often used tongue-in-cheekily too, so a mild annoyance (such as finding that the cafe has run out of mince pies) will be marked by 😱 and/or 😭

They are best used when you know that the writer has set up the humour or intent in the words already. Equally, there are plenty of times when they are entirely inappropriate. When they start appearing in academic texts, I'll know that the end if the world is nigh.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

pangolin said:

Sorry ;)

3. Cool!
    4. Grimace
    6. Surprise!
    7. Confused/disturbed
    8. Poking tongue out

🤣

Of course, they are often used tongue-in-cheekily too, so a mild annoyance (such as finding that the cafe has run out of mince pies) will be marked by 😱 and/or 😭

They are best used when you know that the writer has set up the humour or intent in the words already. Equally, there are plenty of times when they are entirely inappropriate. When they start appearing in academic texts, I'll know that the end if the world is nigh.
    So just like any other form of writing.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• briantrumpet
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

pangolin said:

Sorry ;)

3. Cool!
    4. Grimace
    6. Surprise!
    7. Confused/disturbed
    8. Poking tongue out

🤣

So just like any other form of writing.

👍
  • briantrumpet
    Oh my. I do like visual illusions, but this is one of the best. Press play, watch it for a bit, then put your finger on one of the moving figures.

• briantrumpet

pangolin said:

Sorry ;)

Your Christmas homework. https://emojipedia.org/

There will be a test in your first week back at school after the holidays.
  • TheBigBean
    rjsterry said:

pangolin said:

Sorry ;)

3. Cool!
    4. Grimace
    6. Surprise!
    7. Confused/disturbed
    8. Poking tongue out

I'm actually really impressed that you know all that. Maybe everyone does and it just me that doesn't.
  • briantrumpet

rjsterry said:

pangolin said:

Sorry ;)

3. Cool!
    4. Grimace
    6. Surprise!
    7. Confused/disturbed
    8. Poking tongue out

I'm actually really impressed that you know all that. Maybe everyone does and it just me that doesn't.

Maybe it's the standard form of communication in RJS's profession, along with the usual pile of acronyms and initialisms.
  • TheBigBean

rjsterry said:

pangolin said:

Sorry ;)

3. Cool!
    4. Grimace
    6. Surprise!
    7. Confused/disturbed
    8. Poking tongue out

Maybe it's the standard form of communication in RJS's profession, along with the usual pile of acronyms and initialisms.
    I wonder how many people appreciate the distinction.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

pangolin said:

Sorry ;)

3. Cool!
    4. Grimace
    6. Surprise!
    7. Confused/disturbed
    8. Poking tongue out

I had to double check a couple, but essentially, just imagine what face you would pull if you were saying it to someone's face and then find the matching yellow blob.
    Pinnacle Monzonite