Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,196

You'll also start to see "Tesla inside" other things, like bikes, busses, or even portable devices where a fast charge and large capacity is at a premium.

I thought one of their main ambitions was Powerwall home batteries to corner the market for solar and wind energy storage.

https://www.tesla.com/en_gb/powerwall
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 17,018
    Interesting.

Not sure I agree with you about battery technology, but you are right in the sense that if there is a technological step change that isn't them, all bets are off.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    In summary my issue is not with the macro trends and its positioning and almost exclusively about governance.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 20,089

In summary my issue is not with the macro trends and its positioning and almost exclusively about governance.

Is Musk one of those people whose 'genius' in 'bucking trends' is based on smoke & mirrors?
  • First.Aspect

Is Musk one of those people whose 'genius' in 'bucking trends' is based on smoke & mirrors?
    More that he is either an alcohic or a drug addict, I think.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,791
    Jezyboy said:

In light of the fuss around Blair being made a Sir, I find the opinion polls at the time of going to war interesting.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2015/06/03/remembering-iraq

The public were arguably being misled though. Invading may have been legitimate if Sadam Hussein was about to fire some WMD.
  • briantrumpet

Jezyboy said:

In light of the fuss around Blair being made a Sir, I find the opinion polls at the time of going to war interesting.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2015/06/03/remembering-iraq

The public were arguably being misled though. Invading may have been legitimate if Sadam Hussein was about to fire some WMD.

Who'd have thought that an electorate being lied to could have swayed their opinion?

But the more interesting thing, in this instance, is how many are misremembering their point of view at the time.
  • TheBigBean

Jezyboy said:

Who'd have thought that an electorate being lied to could have swayed their opinion?

But the more interesting thing, in this instance, is how many are misremembering their point of view at the time.
    I don't have any memory issues on this one.
  • briantrumpet

Jezyboy said:

I don't have any memory issues on this one.

You might not, but clearly a lot of people do.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,196
    Fortunately it happened so long ago that memory claims cannot be refuted.
    More recent events may prove more problematic.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 8,067

Are Financial Services in a position to pontificate about governance? I mean Jeez, didn't the financial crisis highlight what a completely rigged market that is?

At least people like Elon Musk and his companies make something of use and are trying to evolve products.
  • TheBigBean

Are Financial Services in a position to pontificate about governance? I mean Jeez, didn't the financial crisis highlight what a completely rigged market that is?

At least people like Elon Musk and his companies make something of use and are trying to evolve products.
    It usually requires money to make stuff though.
  • focuszing723

That has no bearing on my point.
  • rick_chasey
    edited January 2022

What is your point? What does FS have to do with how Tesla is run? Beyond weird forays into crypto, weird accounting behaviours and the fact its share price is absolutely bananas
  • focuszing723

What is your point? What does FS have to do with how Tesla is run? Beyond weird forays into crypto, weird accounting behaviours and the fact its share price is absolutely bananas
    A very similar thing was being said about Google during the dotcom boom. I bet you use that fecker a hundred times a day.

Right, I'm going to tweet Elon Musk now and tell him not to sell "Rick Chasey" a Tesla future AI robot now.
  • focuszing723
    Nope, no robot for Rick.
  • rick_chasey
    Plenty of people clearly think Tesla is fantastic. I think it’s overrated and there are some red flag behaviours the firm has.

Why does that rile you?
  • focuszing723

Plenty of people clearly think Tesla is fantastic. I think it’s overrated and there are some red flag behaviours the firm has.

Why does that rile you?

Look, I'm not playing anymore until you post a nice picture of a Tesla.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227

Why does that rile you?

Look, I'm not playing anymore until you post a nice picture of a Tesla.
    A white Tesla? Are you Cargobike?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,208
    There is a momentum with electric cars.
    I very much doubt Tesla will monopolise the market. The reason being cost and given the size of the following companies who are all busy with research and development in a rapidly expanding market:

Ford
    GM
    VW/Audi
    Mitsubishi
    Honda
    Nissan etc

Cost of the Tesla Y model in the UK: £55k.
    They are producing a hatchback which will be iro £25k.
    They are costly.
    All the big boys have been making cars for a long time and know how to market, manage and produce cars. They are not going to just roll over.
    They also have global production facilities so they also have the infrastructure.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • First.Aspect
    The automotive sector is highly integrated already, with shared platforms and drive trains. I don't necessarily see Tesla making whole cars either, but they could still be the battery and/or motor provider to the best of them. Tesla have also stolen a bit of a march with the charging network. Eventually we may have a "Tesla supercharging" option available from your Mercedes dealer, for example.

Bit of speculation on my part, but I've though Lt this is the way it will go for a while, because existing auto makers don't make batteries, and Tesla don"t make very good actual cars.
  • focuszing723
    edited January 2022

Tesla has been involved in battery cells for a long time, but it never manufactured them itself until starting production at its 4680 pilot plant in Fremont last year.

In 2022, Tesla looks to expand into massive volume production of those 4680 battery cells at Gigafactory Texas and Gigafactory Berlin simultaneously.

The automaker is still buying as many battery cells as it can from suppliers, but I believe its own cell production in 2022 is going to be a difference-maker.
    https://electrek.co/2021/12/31/tesla-2022-growth-battery-cells/

It will be an interesting year to see how the mass production of tabless 4680's goes.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,568

Jezyboy said:

It's interesting that the result of the public being lied to is thay they now (apparently) beleive they never supported action in the first place.

• TheBigBean
    Jezyboy said:

Jezyboy said:

It's interesting that the result of the public being lied to is thay they now (apparently) beleive they never supported action in the first place.

I don't think that is a unique phenomenon. Some of my colleagues were always right about everything. I've never quite understood why they think no one has a memory.
  • briantrumpet

Jezyboy said:

Jezyboy said:

I don't think that is a unique phenomenon. Some of my colleagues were always right about everything. I've never quite understood why they think no one has a memory.

It isn't. As I mentioned upthread, it's something that people's memories do, often without the owner of the brain realising.
  • briantrumpet
    If it's something that interests you, have a look here, under 'post-event misinformation'. I think that's directly relevant to people misremembering how they felt at the time about Raqqers.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3183109/
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Alcohol free spirit. Is that not just water.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,776
    webboo said:

Alcohol free spirit. Is that not just water.

Overpriced flavoured water, given the fact that there's less tax shouldn't it be much cheaper?
  • focuszing723

New factory in Austin Texas, Tesla,19 years old!