Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,353

I'm glad for the pilot, but when a £90,000,000 F35 jet crashes in the sea, is it insured?

https://www.forces.net/news/what-you-need-know-about-f-35b#:~:text=How much do the jets,grand total of £190m.

When I was in Sweden, they were testing the European fighter jet - from the same base as the SAAB Viggen, not far from where I was.
    One of the fighter jets crashed in a field and the headline in Svenska Dagbladet was: Världens dyraste plog.

'The world's most expensive plough'.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,324
    rjsterry said:

That Rachel Johnson article in the Spectator. Why on earth would you write such a thing? Even if that's what you thought.

The family is hardly normal and certainly don't see things as most people would, what did the article say? I'm going to have to go looking and will probably regret it.
  • pinno
    edited November 2021

rjsterry said:

That Rachel Johnson article in the Spectator. Why on earth would you write such a thing? Even if that's what you thought.

The family is hardly normal and certainly don't see things as most people would, what did the article say? I'm going to have to go looking and will probably regret it.
    I'll try too but IIRC, you need a subscription.

So far, so good...
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    Can't believe she gets paid for writing that drivel.
  • pinno
    rjsterry said:

Are you referring to the dog drivvle followed by the short piece about G Maxwell and if so, which particular comment?
    She made a few.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    rjsterry said:

Links please, or it didn't happen. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney
    I have a personal opinion on this story.
    Anyone able to provide the medical facts?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-59323918
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,707
    pblakeney said:

I have a personal opinion on this story.
    Anyone able to provide the medical facts?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-59323918

Can't vouch for medical facts, but I do know a kid who went through a phase where he would literally only eat specific types of cold meat for 2-3 years.

His father was in fact a doctor and they were driven to absolute distraction and despair by it.

I also know of parents with autistic children who find it very stressful when firms change their packaging without warning - can trigger tantrums etc.

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,672
    edited November 2021
    Headline: "It's hard not to pity Ghislaine Maxwell"
    Amongst mindless stuff about how lovely it is to have a dog.
    🤮
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pblakeney
    Not an ounce of sympathy.
    Waste of pixels, but thanks.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,622
    rjsterry said:

🤮

Why did you read it and then lure other people into reading it? Was it to share the suffering.

(Separately, it is easy to be sympathetic to anyone on remand, they are at that point innocent)
  • That's what I love about online news, look at the articles and if they wind you up something chronic they can be just skipped passed. The old terrestrial style news is just a suffer fest until the overcast forecast.
  • rjsterry said:

🤮

Why did you read it and then lure other people into reading it? Was it to share the suffering.

(Separately, it is easy to be sympathetic to anyone on remand, they are at that point innocent)
    They are presumed innocent by the legal system until proved guilty. Obviously if they are subsequently proved guilty, they were already guilty at the point they were charged.

I don't find it particularly easy to be sympathetic in this case.
  • rjsterry said:

🤮

especially when they have been in solitary confinement for 500 days
  • TheBigBean

rjsterry said:

🤮

They are presumed innocent by the legal system until proved guilty. Obviously if they are subsequently proved guilty, they were already guilty at the point they were charged.

Because you know she is guilty of something?
  • TheBigBean

rjsterry said:

🤮

especially when they have been in solitary confinement for 500 days
    Given the state of US prisons, I think I'd choose solitary, but probably I have no idea what I'm talking about?
  • rjsterry said:

🤮

Because you know she is guilty of something?
    She's going through the legal process.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,672

rjsterry said:

🤮

😆
    No, I was just intrigued that the apparently more well adjusted member of the family should write something so obviously lacking in self-awareness.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,535
    Why do car companies make cars with daytime running lights on the front but not the rear?

I see load of people driving around with no rear lights at this time of year and when I pass them the front DRLs are usually on - presumably giving the impression to the driver that their proper lights are on (i guess it lights up the dash as well?)

Surely once you are permanently wiring in the front lights, you'd do the rear at the same time, especially since the LED bulbs pretty much last forever.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    monkimark said:

Why do car companies make cars with daytime running lights on the front but not the rear?

I see load of people driving around with no rear lights at this time of year and when I pass them the front DRLs are usually on - presumably giving the impression to the driver that their proper lights are on (i guess it lights up the dash as well?)

Surely once you are permanently wiring in the front lights, you'd do the rear at the same time, especially since the LED bulbs pretty much last forever.

And why do they make the DRLs brighter than the sun and angled appallingly.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,921
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

🤮

😆
    No, I was just intrigued that the apparently more well adjusted member of the family should write something so obviously lacking in self-awareness.
    I would add a slightly between apparently and more there.

I think it's an odd thing to write about... Maybe she was struggling to provide the requisite number of words
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,690
    That next Wednesday marks the 30th (thirtieth) anniversary of the death of Freddie Mercury. That's 30 years. Xxxx I feel old.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,564
    Another one bites the dust.
    Who wants to live forever.
  • pinno
    orraloon said:

That next Wednesday marks the 30th (thirtieth) anniversary of the death of Freddie Mercury. That's 30 years. Xxxx I feel old.

I remember that day. You're not that old.
  • pblakeney
    edited November 2021
    orraloon said:

If it makes you feel any better I have a hifi older than that. It is mostly in the loft though. 😉 I'm waiting on someone who will appreciate a NAD 3020 system and Dolby.
    The Technics turntable stays mine and will be used again when wfh office is history though.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • orraloon said:

More than 40 years since John Lennon was shot.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • pblakeney
    orraloon said:

Blur's debut album is more than 30 years old.
    (By months).
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,707
    Same gap between Thatcher’s election and the war as now and Thatcher
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    C
    pblakeney said:

orraloon said:

If it makes you feel any better I have a hifi older than that. It is mostly in the loft though. 😉 I'm waiting on someone who will appreciate a NAD 3020 system and Dolby.
    The Technics turntable will be used again when wfh office is history though.
    MM minor is currently using that amp and turntable combo, having been rescued from the loft after a 20 year break.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,916
    I ought to get my Quad 606 amp repaired... a great bit of kit, until, er, it stopped working.