Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,931
    Pross said:

pinno said:

You see that slightly lighter blue in Welshland? That's where Pross lives.

He's just showing off as Exeter seems to be in a random dry spot. In all seriousness I'd be more worried long term being in a brown area.

Not entirely random. Guarded to the west by Dartmoor. There's a reason the moor is so green.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,804

Haha. October 2020.

Downside of Brexit. We miss all these dry days. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566
    I'm always intrigued by, you know, that.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,364

Haha. October 2020.

Yep. I'm 25 miles West of a black spot.
    Apparently, there's a small window for pedalling tomorrow and a bigger window on Saturday (although windy).
    I think i'll eat extra porridge and do both while I can.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,694
    How come it doesn't rain on Lough Neagh?
  • pinno
    I guess they haven't got the resources to pay someone to sit in a boat with a funnel and a jug.
  • briantrumpet
    orraloon said:

How come it doesn't rain on Lough Neagh?

Probably full of fabric conditioner, so is water repellent.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646

Pross said:

pinno said:

He's just showing off as Exeter seems to be in a random dry spot. In all seriousness I'd be more worried long term being in a brown area.

Not entirely random. Guarded to the west by Dartmoor. There's a reason the moor is so green.
    Princetown gets about 3 m of rain a year.

I love cycling in Devon, but it is about as wet as Manchester or Glasgow. It is just a bit hotter so it dries faster in the sun.
  • briantrumpet

Pross said:

pinno said:

I love cycling in Devon, but it is about as wet as Manchester or Glasgow. It is just a bit hotter so it dries faster in the sun.

As ever, the devil is in the detail... Exeter is about 900mm annually, and you pick your routes carefully using forecasts and rain radar updates.
  • pinno

Pross said:

pinno said:

As ever, the devil is in the detail... Exeter is about 900mm annually, and you pick your routes carefully using forecasts and rain radar updates.
    "The new meteo Garmin. With built in cloudburst dodging app. Buy now from Pinno's pop up shop. Hurry whilst stocks last".
  • First.Aspect

Pross said:

pinno said:

Basically this means riding close to Exeter. It is a lot wetter everywhere else, including all of the places that make it a good place for a cyclist to live in the first place.
  • briantrumpet

Pross said:

pinno said:

Basically this means riding close to Exeter. It is a lot wetter everywhere else, including all of the places that make it a good place for a cyclist to live in the first place.

It doesn't, but it means keeping a closer eye on the weather than you would have to further east. Averages mask so much detail: the rainfall in my particular bit of France is very similar to Exeter, but how the rain is delivered is vastly different, both in the times of year, and the actual individual 'rain events'.
  • briantrumpet
    Haha. Keep your eye on the Topsham dot. As if by magic...

https://youtu.be/BVnw4K2Y0IU
  • pinno
    "Added feature: pad moisture level indicator".

Use code: Splash22 for a 10% discount.
  • briantrumpet
    pinno said:

"Added feature: pad moisture level indicator".

Use code: Splash22 for a 10% discount.

Cracking idea.
  • First.Aspect

Pross said:

pinno said:

It doesn't, but it means keeping a closer eye on the weather than you would have to further east. Averages mask so much detail: the rainfall in my particular bit of France is very similar to Exeter, but how the rain is delivered is vastly different, both in the times of year, and the actual individual 'rain events'.
    Well yes, but it's pretty consistent in the UK.

I lived in BC for a while where the summers are quite dry but it is insanely wet and grey in the winter.

Not sure what I like the least. 4 or 5 grey months is a long slog, I remember that much.
  • pinno

It's what?

We had an exceptional period of dry weather this year. But: only in a 25 mile radius. The rest of the region was green whilst we were brown.
    I have noticed drier, colder springs that linger and then periods (like this) with prolonged deluges.
    3 weeks ago, in amongst a period of unseasonably mild weather, we had one night where there was a frost.

I think that the cycle of El Nino's will be such that the latency will merge with the next one.

We're gonna fry baby.

• First.Aspect
    pinno said:

It's what?

We had an exceptional period of dry weather this year. But: only in a 25 mile radius. The rest of the region was green whilst we were brown.
    I have noticed drier, colder springs that linger and then periods (like this) with prolonged deluges.
    3 weeks ago, in amongst a period of unseasonably mild weather, we had one night where there was a frost.

I think that the cycle of El Nino's will be such that the latency will merge with the next one.

We're gonna fry baby.

Consistent across the year. Look up those long term averages. You may be surprised. The month with the lowest average rainfall where I live is February.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    The phenomenon that is Salt Bae
  • pblakeney

People influenced by “influencers” are the most malleable gullible people on the planet.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,620
    pblakeney said:

People influenced by “influencers” are the most malleable gullible people on the planet.
    A fool and his money...
  • rick_chasey
    Yeah yeah it’s easy to be superior. It’s not that easy to do else we’d all be doing it.

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,620

Yeah yeah it’s easy to be superior. It’s not that easy to do else we’d all be doing it.

I reckon half an hour of practice and I could have that salt down the forearm trick nailed.

• rick_chasey
    mrb123 said:

I reckon half an hour of practice and I could have that salt down the forearm trick nailed.

You’re not gonna get people to pay £300 for it though. That’s the clever bit.
  • pblakeney

mrb123 said:

You’re not gonna get people to pay £300 for it though. That’s the clever bit.
    What you are saying is that con men intrigue you.
    They wouldn't be in business if they didn't. This is an obvious one though.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    It’s not a con.

We all know what you’re paying for.

• pblakeney

It’s not a con.

We all know what you’re paying for.

In that case we are back to the customers being malleable gullible fools.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    So much of a phenomenon I'd never heard of him until this thread and even with the first reference I didn't realise it was a person.
  • briantrumpet
    Pross said:

So much of a phenomenon I'd never heard of him until this thread and even with the first reference I didn't realise it was a person.

It doesn't intrigue me enough to bother to read about him. Happy to remain ignorant.