Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,789

Pross said:

So much of a phenomenon I'd never heard of him until this thread and even with the first reference I didn't realise it was a person.

It doesn't intrigue me enough to bother to read about him. Happy to remain ignorant.
    To save you too much reading a restaurant with a high social media profile is charging £300 for a mediocre steak.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,577
    pblakeney said:

Pross said:

So much of a phenomenon I'd never heard of him until this thread and even with the first reference I didn't realise it was a person.

It doesn't intrigue me enough to bother to read about him. Happy to remain ignorant.
    To save you too much reading a restaurant with a high social media profile is charging £300 for a mediocre steak.
    Which seems to be all down to the incredible way they season it (chucking salt on in stupid way).
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,633
    I always find it amazing how much fashion influences where people eat as opposed to their tastebuds.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,577
    I can't imagine paying £300 for a steak no matter how good it was. If I had the money I would pay £300 for a top quality meal but a steak is a steak. Sure, some are better cooked than others and the quality of meet varies but there's only so much anyone can do with it.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,618
    Until you've tried a steak covered in gold tinfoil adorned with a pile of salt mixed with a few arm hairs you haven't really lived...
  • There are two amazing butchers here in central Cambridge and I always go for either the t bone or mature ex dairy rib eye. Bloody lovely. With a red wine jus or miso butter.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,686
    edited October 2021
    Pross said:

I can't imagine paying £300 for a steak no matter how good it was. If I had the money I would pay £300 for a top quality meal but a steak is a steak. Sure, some are better cooked than others and the quality of meet varies but there's only so much anyone can do with it.

I think a lot of people don't understand how many stupidly rich, bored people there are in London. For the kind of clientele they are aiming at, £300 is a cheap Friday night out.

They're mainly paying to be seen at the right place, rather than the food.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    Pross said:

I thought it was the name of a racehorse
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,315

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,920
    If I hadn't read the accompanying article, I'd have guessed that this was a Mel Brooks movie still.

It's not. Seems it's an American 'church'. Well... hmm...

https://www.businessinsider.com/maga-gun-church-moonies-civil-war-deep-state-2021-10?r=US&IR=T
  • rjsterry

If I hadn't read the accompanying article, I'd have guessed that this was a Mel Brooks movie still.

https://www.businessinsider.com/maga-gun-church-moonies-civil-war-deep-state-2021-10?r=US&IR=T

In this country, those would be called terrorists.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• briantrumpet
    rjsterry said:

In this country, those would be called terrorists.

I'm not sure what I find 'funnier', the guns, or the plastic crowns on grown men. The two together are just, er, killing.
  • briantrumpet
    I mean, how can you take a country seriously when people like that are allowed to vote?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,729
    Superpower in decline behaviour.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,633
    I'm sure barrels burning and cheese chasing would be considered eccentric in most countries.
  • briantrumpet

I'm sure barrels burning and cheese chasing would be considered eccentric in most countries.

I have a feeling that they aren't religions, and participants are doing it for a giggle. I suspect that those in the photo aren't going to be laughing at themselves for their stupidity.
  • rjsterry

Not sure the Gloucestershire cheese rollers are preparing for a armed conflict with their own government, either.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,315
    rjsterry said:

Not sure the Gloucestershire cheese rollers are preparing for a armed conflict with their own government, either.
    With Gloucester cheese we're fairly safe. It it was more like a Swiss then they could be preparing for holey war.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rick_chasey
    How some artists when they are in a supporting role I love their music and when they are the lead I think it's dogsh!t with nothing in between.
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566
    I'm quite intrigued that at this very moment, somewhere around the world, unbeknown to you and I, there could very well be two men, you know, doing that to each other, you know that, I can't say anymore, but it is not what God wanted.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,789
    womack said:

I'm quite intrigued that at this very moment, somewhere around the world, unbeknown to you and I, there could very well be two men, you know, doing that to each other, you know that, I can't say anymore, but it is not what God wanted.

Leave your fantasies off here please.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney said:

womack said:

Leave your fantasies off here please.
    I think he has FOMO.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • rick_chasey
    I am not in the business of defending suicide bomber terrorists - the driver did a great job letting him kill himself away from everyone else - but why when the terrorist changed hi name by deed pol from Emad al-Swealmeen to Enzo Almeni, after his conversion to Christianity, why are they still referring to him as Emad al-Swealmeen?

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,618

I am not in the business of defending suicide bomber terrorists - the driver did a great job letting him kill himself away from everyone else - but why when the terrorist changed hi name by deed pol from Emad al-Swealmeen to Enzo Almeni, after his conversion to Christianity, why are they still referring to him as Emad al-Swealmeen?

https://youtu.be/h3FGi7Wwl2s
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,203
    edited November 2021
    I'm glad for the pilot, but when a £90,000,000 F35 jet crashes in the sea, is it insured?

https://www.forces.net/news/what-you-need-know-about-f-35b#:~:text=How much do the jets,grand total of £190m.

• Mind you, compared to the cost of Covid it's pocket money.
  • rick_chasey
    edited November 2021

I'm glad for the pilot, but when a £90,000,000 F35 jet crashes in the sea, is it insured?

https://www.forces.net/news/what-you-need-know-about-f-35b#:~:text=How much do the jets,grand total of £190m.

Yikes. Guy from my NCT is up to fly those. Hope it’s not him
  • rjsterry
    That Rachel Johnson article in the Spectator. Why on earth would you write such a thing? Even if that's what you thought.
    Pinnacle Monzonite