Tour *of* Yorkshire - **spoiler**

Comments

• Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    ShutupJens wrote:
    Has cav finished yet?

I understand that he finished in 2012 if some areas of the internet are to be believed

:lol::lol:
  • Alejandrosdog
    delete
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    Cavendish in 8th, bit of a meh result but that certainly didn't resemble a tour sprint. No dominant teams to lead out at all, especially with 3 riders drifting back from the break, surprised that it went without incident to be honest
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,816
    ShutupJens wrote:
    I bloody love everything about this race

Yeah, the entire peloton watching Team Ineos and DD not able to close down the break and not being arsed about the chance of a stage win. Brilliant. :oops:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,868
    Everyone bluffed themselves out of it.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,868
    Happened last year. I like this race.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Whittle’s write up of the protestors at the start has annoyed me.
  • blazing_saddles

Good for you, Rick.
    Absolutely pathetic the way that the press are desperate to make this into a story.
    A cycling journo, but his twitter has sod all about the race, just the protesting.
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens wrote:
    I bloody love everything about this race

Yeah, the entire peloton watching Team Ineos and DD not able to close down the break and not being arsed about the chance of a stage win. Brilliant. :oops:

Yeah that's part of the fun isn't it? Another 20m and they would have closed it. What would you have preferred happen?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158

Good for you, Rick.
    Absolutely pathetic the way that the press are desperate to make this into a story.
    A cycling journo, but his twitter has sod all about the race, just the protesting.
    A year and a bit ago on the year's end Bespoke podcast the presenters went through what they were looking forward to most in the 2018 season. Whittle said the DCMS committee report.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    that giant train ticket KOM prize, is that like you get a years free train travel if you win !?
  • Alejandrosdog
    awavey wrote:
    that giant train ticket KOM prize, is that like you get a years free train travel if you win !?
    Two years if you’re second :)
  • ducknumber1
    ducknumber1 Posts: 1,158

Good for you, Rick.

I didn't think there was much to the protest, a few vocal ones round the bus that looked to be "professional protesters" I can only assume it to be ironic shouting about paying taxes, but on the whole the protesters were just visible (as was the police and security presence following them). Ineos got a great reception when they came out and when they went on stage too.

I know fracking is an important issue to the locals living nearby, but in several years I've not seen any protesting around the other teams that may have seen it- Total, Astana, Orica. If Ineos had sponsored another team, say CCC or Dimension Data as arguably the next biggest names, I doubt we'd see half as much reporting.
  • ducknumber1
    ducknumber1 Posts: 1,158
    And I see Rick already covered this on the Sky/Ineos thread, feel free to ignore me
  • ShutupJens
    Settling down for a long day in the saddle (sofa). Weather is sh1te again it seems! Looking forward to seeing how the World's course looks on telly
  • ShutupJens
    Looking at the timings I can watch the women's race in it's entirety, potter about doing jobs and perhaps a small spin on the rollers before settling down for the start of the men's. Great success
  • ShutupJens
    Hannah Barnes spotted just off the back looking for her car after the flag drops. Graphics team shows "#41, Nathan Haas"

Get it together, come on
  • ShutupJens
    Both Boels Dolmans and Ale Cipollini trying to get up the road. CCC keeping tabs though - promising seeing as Lizzie reckons there will be GC action today - certainly seems to be the case with the bunch all together approaching the first intermediate sprint
  • blazing_saddles
    ShutupJens wrote:
    Both Boels Dolmans and Ale Cipollini trying to get up the road. CCC keeping tabs though - promising seeing as Lizzie reckons there will be GC action today - certainly seems to be the case with the bunch all together approaching the first intermediate sprint

Great work. Just be sure to keep up with the updates for the next 9 hours.
    Oh and don't forget Romandie. :lol:
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens wrote:

Great work. Just be sure to keep up with the updates for the next 9 hours.
    Oh and don't forget Romandie. :lol:

In the style of Guillaime van Keirsbulck, soldiering on alone having been let go on a solo breakaway for 100 miles in the tour, I shall be doing.

I'm not generally this much of a lay about but I have had a significant amount of time off work with illness so am getting used to entertaining myself like this.
  • ShutupJens
    Vos lights up the sprint but blows her wad a touch early, the points taken on the line by Andersen, 20 year old rider from Sunweb, with Christine Majerus in third
  • ShutupJens
    Ned starting to remind me a little bit of Kirby. Obviously not nearly as bad but grating a little bit. Lucy Martin keeping him grounded though with an actual knowledge of the women's racing rather than just reeling off results from PCS
  • ShutupJens
    Lots of school children out outside Garforth, forced to lie in a bicycle formation on wet grass instead of actually watching the riders going past which seems a touch unfair

Lizzie Banks from Bigla attacks through a few twisty corners in a town and quickly gets a gap, the most convincing breakaway attempt we've seen in a while. 94km to go
  • ShutupJens
    And Banks has company, Leah Dixon from Brother/On Form/Tifosi gets across. Two riders stuck in a chasse patate 45 seconds behind, bunch a further 30 seconds behind them. No reason for the front two to wait for them with mountain points up for grabs
  • ShutupJens
    Maria Confalonieri and Kelly Murphy join the other two in the middle, Lauren Kitchen and Ingrid Lorvik. 45 seconds between them and the front pairing, 2:09 is the gap from the front to the bunch
  • blazing_saddles
    Not sure why women's races have so much less interest in getting riders into a break.
    Must be something to do with the pressures of sponsorship in men's racing.
    Not sure why women's teams are far more reluctant to let a break go, either.
    Must just be easier to control, otherwise teams would opt for letting a break go and take the opportunity to sit up, after.
    That break to ages to form and it wasn't as if attacks were going off left, right and centre.
  • ShutupJens
    Not sure why women's races have so much less interest in getting riders into a break.
    Must be something to do with the pressures of sponsorship in men's racing.
    Not sure why women's teams are far more reluctant to let a break go, either.
    Must just be easier to control, otherwise teams would opt for letting a break go and take the opportunity to sit up, after.
    That break to ages to form and it wasn't as if attacks were going off left, right and centre.

Yeah I've wondered this before, it's the same on the track, the racing is much less aggressive in points races etc
  • ShutupJens
    Ned describing a nice wide, well tarmacced descent of Poole Bank as "nightmarishly dangerous unless you're very lucky or Peter Sagan". Bunch makes it down intact obviously, this is definitely a Kirbyism if ever I heard one, he could do with actually watching the race and not just speculating/hoping for crashes
  • ShutupJens
    Banks takes the mountains points, we're now heading towards Harrogate to join the worlds circuit and have another sprint on the the finish line of the worlds. Great stuff
  • ShutupJens
    Heading onto the circuit in a km or so. Absolutely wonderful part of the world, I have some very happy memories of racing around the pennypot circuit including winning the lanterne rouge prize in a stage race a few years ago. During which I stopped at the pub in Beckwithshaw to fill my bottles up as it was 26 degrees and I had been on the back end of a full on kicking. Riders just about to head down Pot Bank which is the descent that you don't want to be racing down in the wet