Wife of ISIS fighter wants to return to the UK

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,292
    Politically it's an understandable approach and finding she was entitled to citizenship elsewhere was the final hurdle in following the legal requirements though you would assume Bangladesh would have some laws to deny citizenship on similar grounds to we have for revoking British citizenship. I suspect she'll eventually end up back here but the Government have positioned themselves so they can say 'we tried to prevent it but the Courts over-rules us, what can we do?'. Alternatively by time it is all resolved we'll have a new Government and they'll be seen to have let her back.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,207
    edited February 2019
    Her school, the local authority and the Met all knew that she was being groomed by IS, but didn't tell her parents until it was too late. She was 'married' off within days of arriving in Syria to someone twice her age.

This is our f*** up. A failure to protect a citizen.

There's a difference between being entitled to claim citizenship and actually having that citizenship. If security is the main concern, I don't see how that is possibly served by denial of UK citizenship. IS didn't actually travel to the UK to recruit her in the first place.

Javid is chancing it.

Also sets a precedent for some other country to dump their unwanted citizens on us.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Mr Goo wrote:
    If it was a bloke who’s joined the KKK, done some lynching and helped shoot up a church he still wouldn’t have lost his citizenship.

It’s also a stupid way to deal with the problem. All you do is push the problem onto someone else. She’s a Brit, Brit government needs to deal with it.

Just pathetic on everyone’s part here. She’s obviously a sh!t and apparently Sajid is chickensh!t.

Also, if everyone was a bit more grown up about the whole thing she wouldn’t have garnered the publicity she doesn’t deserve to have.

I guess this is the kind of Britain-leading-the-world-by-example we should get used to post-Brexit. Push terrorists onto other nations. Look like a bunch of pussies.

The UK Govs first responsibility to its citizens is their security. I would imagine that their are further security reasons given on the advice of the intelligence services that have caused the Home Office to revoke her citizenship.

Mate have a good think about the first line of what you wrote.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Mr Goo wrote:
    If it was a bloke who’s joined the KKK, done some lynching and helped shoot up a church he still wouldn’t have lost his citizenship.

It’s also a stupid way to deal with the problem. All you do is push the problem onto someone else. She’s a Brit, Brit government needs to deal with it.

Just pathetic on everyone’s part here. She’s obviously a sh!t and apparently Sajid is chickensh!t.

Also, if everyone was a bit more grown up about the whole thing she wouldn’t have garnered the publicity she doesn’t deserve to have.

I guess this is the kind of Britain-leading-the-world-by-example we should get used to post-Brexit. Push terrorists onto other nations. Look like a bunch of pussies.

The UK Govs first responsibility to its citizens is their security. I would imagine that their are further security reasons given on the advice of the intelligence services that have caused the Home Office to revoke her citizenship.

Do you really believe what you write? Still, as long as you "imagine" that there are good reasons then that's OK then. In all fairness, your imagination seems to be pretty similar to that of Javid in terms of making crap up to support your prejudices though quite how you fail to understand that the only reason that Javid is revoking her citizenship is to achieve cheap political gain is beyond me.

Personally I think he missed a trick. Bring her back and start shouting "Lock her up, lock her up". Worked for Trump.

PS - what Rick said.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rick_chasey
    Also, it works both ways.

The U.K. gets to deport citizens of other nations if they commit crimes in the Uk and those nations receive them.

Once you start down this road....
  • PhilipPirrip
    PhilipPirrip Posts: 616
    edited February 2019
    Further, we could start deporting citizens because a government of prejudice simply wants to get rid of people they don't like under arbitrary rules such as the guise of a threat to the nation.

Have an anti-semitic government, let's start deporting jewish citizens. A nationalist government, Let's start deporting the Irish. A racist government, let's start deporting black citizens.

Oh hold on, that last one is current policy.
  • If it was a bloke who’s joined the KKK, done some lynching and helped shoot up a church he still wouldn’t have lost his citizenship.

I think you’re spectacularly confused. Isis and the kkk are entirely different, different crimes, different objectives, different locations different ideologies.

There comes a point where some crimes need special treatment and the courage to see and move beyond the standard liberal response. Precisely to protect the liberal environment. Unpalatable but true.

Now if the Home Secretary chucks out her parents too that would be a start.
  • rolf_f
    Also, it works both ways.

The U.K. gets to deport citizens of other nations if they commit crimes in the Uk and those nations receive them.

Once you start down this road....

... it all starts getting very silly. Is he going to take this approach for all crimes? "Have you Jewish ancestry that was persecuted by Germany during the war? Then we can revoke your citizenship and you can apply for German nationality".

Shame we can't still put people on prison ships to Australia for stealing loaves.......
  • rolf_f

I think you’re spectacularly confused. Isis and the kkk are entirely different, different crimes, different objectives, different locations different ideologies.

There comes a point where some crimes need special treatment and the courage to see and move beyond the standard liberal response. Precisely to protect the liberal environment. Unpalatable but true.

Now if the Home Secretary chucks out her parents too that would be a start.

Well yes. Obviously being a brainwashed foolish child and running away and having babies is a lot more serious than lynching people and shooting up churches. We really need to get our priorities sorted out.

Perhaps what we actually need is the courage to see and move beyond our knee jerk prejudices.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    question is though, smash or no smash?

just asking for a friend so don't shout at me.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Interesting to read this story with very strong parallels to the UK case:

2 American wives of Islamic State militants want to return home 20 Feb 2019
    A small number of Americans — as few as 59, according to data tracked by the George Washington University Program on Extremism — are known to have traveled to Syria to join the Islamic State. Nearly all the American men captured in battle have been repatriated, but it is unclear why some of the American women and their children — at least 13 known to The Times — have not been.
    In a tweet this weekend, President Donald Trump criticized allies including Britain, France and Germany for not taking back hundreds of Islamic State prisoners captured on the battlefield. “The alternative is not a good one in that we will be forced to release them,” he warned.

I'm certain that this UK case suits the government very well and they will keep the pot simmering as long as they can.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Mr Goo wrote:

I now see the irony in my post. However I hope that in this instance it is intelligence lead and not political.
    Mind you Dr David Kelly's family might have something to say about our security services and politics.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    Dunno if its been said already but she does have an appeal to the spec immigration court. The case is ALWAYS made under Human Rights - the right to a family life. This applies to children and parents and children and parents in law. She will win the appeal. I'm sure of it
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028

There is no difference. Both organisations are fascist, authoritarian monotheistic regimes who pursue their objectives through violence. Leaving aside their bullshit religions, their ideologies are fundamentally the same.
  • rick_chasey
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:

I now see the irony in my post. However I hope that in this instance it is intelligence lead and not political.
    Mind you Dr David Kelly's family might have something to say about our security services and politics.

Your hopes will likely be dashed.

Or is that daeshed? Too easy.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380

Your hopes will likely be dashed.

Or is that daeshed? Too easy.

genius - het.

the best thing you've ever posted. ever.

who told you it?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • rick_chasey
    Honestly, it came to me after I fat fingered the reply on my phone.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    The Home Secretary revoked the citizenship of a British citizen because the UK couldn't bring her back to face charges as they couldn't determine whether or not she had done anything illegal.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    The Home Secretary revoked the citizenship of a British citizen because the UK couldn't bring her back to face charges as they couldn't determine whether or not she had done anything illegal.

What do you expect?
  • mr_goo

Or the Home Secretary used that as a viable excuse in his political long game ambitions for the next GE. The general public will remember him for standing firm and expelling an undesirable.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • imposter2.0
    Mr Goo wrote:
    The racist gammons will remember him for standing firm and expelling an undesirable.

FTFY. The rest of us will just see it as a pathetic attempt to placate the increasingly bigoted and nationalistic right wing in the UK..
  • question is though, smash or no smash?

Yes until I see her teeth
  • question is though, smash or no smash?

Yes until I see her teeth

only possible if she has the neck of an owl.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,424
    Imposter wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    The racist gammons will remember him for standing firm and expelling an undesirable.

FTFY. The rest of us will just see it as a pathetic attempt to placate the increasingly bigoted and nationalistic right wing in the UK..

Of course there would be no left of centre voters who would agree with the objectives of the Home Secretary in this case. :roll: :roll: :roll:
  • imposter2.0
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:

Of course there would be no left of centre voters who would agree with the objectives of the Home Secretary in this case. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Never said there weren't. Doesn't alter the fact that the vast majority of the calls to keep her out have come from the right, or the extreme right.
  • rick_chasey
    It does mean Sajid sees British citizens with entitlement to a non British nationality as second class citizens as they may have their British citizenship revoked.
  • mr_goo
    Imposter wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:

IMPOSTER.

YOU HAVE UNTIL 6pm TO AMEND THE QUOTATION YOU HAVE ALTERED AND ATTRIBUTED TO ME. I WANT A PUBLIC APOLOGY TOO. OR I WILL REPORT YOU TO THE MODS AND GET YOU KICKED OUT.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,207
    Mr Goo wrote:

Or the Home Secretary used that as a viable excuse in his political long game ambitions for the next GE. The general public will remember him for standing firm and expelling an undesirable.

Fabulous. Let's start transporting criminals - sorry, undesirables - to Australia again!
    Actually, at least they had a trial.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • imposter2.0
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:

IMPOSTER.

YOU HAVE UNTIL 6pm TO AMEND THE QUOTATION YOU HAVE ALTERED AND ATTRIBUTED TO ME. I WANT A PUBLIC APOLOGY TOO. OR I WILL REPORT YOU TO THE MODS AND GET YOU KICKED OUT.

Not sure if you're being serious, but if you are, then go for it mate. I made it quite clear that I edited it. Report it now though - if you wait until 6pm, nothing will happen until tomorrow.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:

IMPOSTER.

I'M GOING TO TELL MY DADDY YOU WERE HORRIBLE TO ME AND HE'S GOING TO BEAT YOU UP.

FTFY.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools