Wife of ISIS fighter wants to return to the UK

Comments

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,934
    Well the caliphate was never recognised as a state internationally so we couldn't go to war with the state, but we have been at war with IS.
  • no fecker read the Satanic Verses anyway

I have. Enjoyed it, and I can see why people would not like it. On its own, it would not have provoked anything, but the reaction to the reaction to it will have ended up being provocative.

The BBC article was interesting in the way it essentially described it as two opposing "teams" - and the feeling that there was no room for nuance. You had to pick a team, for or against.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642
    no fecker read the Satanic Verses anyway

I have. Enjoyed it, and I can see why people would not like it. On its own, it would not have provoked anything, but the reaction to the reaction to it will have ended up being provocative.

I found it hard work and dull, but then I find the why he writes anything to be quite hard work. I can also see why people would find it offensive.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    Well the caliphate was never recognised as a state internationally so we couldn't go to war with the state, but we have been at war with IS.

Isn't that only in Iraq?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    Imposter, she and her ilk don't buy in to the concept of western democracy and so why should she expect to benefit from the safeguards it provides is what I was saying.

Because we are better than that. We have to be. Otherwise, we just become what they are.

Dorset Boy wrote:
    We shouldn't voluntarily add to the burden on other tax payers by housing such types.

We already house people far worse than her (child rapists, mass murderers, etc), so I don't see the issue, myself.
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    Do you really think that she would be employable when eventually released from prison? I don't and therefore under the present system she would receive state benefits.

No reason why not. With the appropriate rehabilitation and de-radicalisation, she would be just as employable as any other reformed convict.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    no fecker read the Satanic Verses anyway

The BBC article was interesting in the way it essentially described it as two opposing "teams" - and the feeling that there was no room for nuance. You had to pick a team, for or against.

Many things in life are provocative but given his previous lack strong religious feeling it's unclear as to why his reaction to the reaction (criticism of the fatwah) to the reaction (the fatwah) to the book would be to become a radical muslim. I mean if you weren't already radical wouldn't you recognise a fatwah as a ridiculously medieval act rather than thinking actually I'm with them.

My reaction to his reaction (etc) is to think he was making at least a partial justification for the unjustifiable.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Imposter wrote:
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    Imposter, she and her ilk don't buy in to the concept of western democracy and so why should she expect to benefit from the safeguards it provides is what I was saying.

Because we are better than that. We have to be. Otherwise, we just become what they are.

Dorset Boy wrote:
    We shouldn't voluntarily add to the burden on other tax payers by housing such types.

We already house people far worse than her (child rapists, mass murderers, etc), so I don't see the issue, myself.
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    Do you really think that she would be employable when eventually released from prison? I don't and therefore under the present system she would receive state benefits.

No reason why not. With the appropriate rehabilitation and de-radicalisation, she would be just as employable as any other reformed convict.

In my original post I suggested she should not be allowed to return but in the light of subsequent posts I can see that perhaps I was wrong and that simply barring her from the country of her parentage, education and birth would be wrong. To put her on trial if there is some crime that she might have committed is another matter.

I would prefer to live in a country where she was allowed to return and be given a fair hearing than one that turned its back on her or worse.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    She's obviously welcome to come to these shores again, but I'm not sure we should be facilitating it.

As for the "what has she actually done wrong?" question, we'll I imagine she'll be charged under the very wide ranging laws and charges relating to terrorism.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • TheBigBean wrote:
    Dorset Boy wrote:

Isn't that only in Iraq?

This is a very good point - are we at war with IS?

also is it illegal to fight for an entity other than the UK? what if she had joined the French Foreign Legion?

Maybe the Dutch could take her.
  • imposter2.0

No. But the UK and coalition forces are/were fighting an IS insurgency in Iraq and Afghanistan.
    also is it illegal to fight for an entity other than the UK? what if she had joined the French Foreign Legion?

No. Mercenaries or those committed to a cause do it all the time, famously in the Spanish civil war and more recently in places like central & east Africa - a fair few Brits fighting for the Kurds as well. And I don't think the UK has ever had to fight against the French in recent history.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    On the subject of having citizenship revoked, what would be the legal position if someone has dual nationality? Could you revoke on the basis that they wouldn't be stateless as they'd have another nationality to fall back on? I'm not sure of the facts in this particular case but I suspect in some cases of British nationals going to join ISIS they may have come to the UK from other countries originally and retained their original nationality.
  • Pross
    I heard some women being interviewed in Bethnal Green on the news this morning saying she should be jailed for treason. I'm not quite sure how they would argue her involvement in a war in another country is treasonous.

I doubt there'd be any problem at all getting a prosecution for being a member or support of a Proscribed Group though both of which have a prison sentence up to 9 years.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Pross wrote:
    On the subject of having citizenship revoked, what would be the legal position if someone has dual nationality? Could you revoke on the basis that they wouldn't be stateless as they'd have another nationality to fall back on? I'm not sure of the facts in this particular case but I suspect in some cases of British nationals going to join ISIS they may have come to the UK from other countries originally and retained their original nationality.
    Pross - As I understand it, the correct legal position (under international law) is as you have said.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • ayjaycee
    Pross wrote:
    I heard some women being interviewed in Bethnal Green on the news this morning saying she should be jailed for treason. I'm not quite sure how they would argue her involvement in a war in another country is treasonous.

If it was the same 'mature lady' from Bethnel Green that I heard on the radio, I was waiting for her to add something like 'Those ISIS people coming over here and taking all our jobs'.
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • Pross
    ayjaycee wrote:
    Pross wrote:

If it was the same 'mature lady' from Bethnel Green that I heard on the radio, I was waiting for her to add something like 'Those ISIS people coming over here and taking all our jobs'.

Yeah, there two of them. I suspect they've voted UKIP in the past!
  • ayjaycee
    Pross wrote:
    ayjaycee wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Yeah, there two of them. I suspect they've voted UKIP in the past!

If we're talking about the same people, I suspect they would probably have considered UKIP to be a bit left wing for their tastes.
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    One of our great tabloid papers will pay her shed loads for her story and she will live happily and rich ever after.
    Half man, Half bike
  • The metro headlines amused me greatly - saying it was benefits tourism so she could have her baby on the nhs.

One way of wording it I suppose?
  • Ben6899
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47270857

She's given birth.
    Still doesn't really have any regrets.
    "They have no proof I actually did anything wrong"

Naive young girl or coldly calculated. Could equally be either.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,697
    More generally, various people are pointing out that European countries trying to wash their hands of citizens who ran off to join IS is likely to backfire.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry
    Ben6899 wrote:

She's given birth.

She's 19 and on her third child having lost two already. That's more than enough to mess you up.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Ben6899
    rjsterry wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

She's given birth.

She's 19 and on her third child having lost two already. That's more than enough to mess you up.

It is.
    Ben

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    I don’t entirely understand what the fuss is here.

She joined a terrorism organisation.

She is a British citizen, so is entitled to make her own way back. If she has broken some laws when being part of ISIS,and presumably she has, if she returns she’ll be picked up at the border and prosecuted.

Is the concern the authorities don’t have enough evidence to prosecute her?

Then she’s a British citizen, she comes back and they hopefully keep an eye on her.

And I think the foreign office is probably reasonable to not offer any assistance, especially since they don’t have the capability to.

Why is this a debate?
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    "Surrey wrote:

Maybe the Dutch could take her.

of course we are not and of course it isn't. Why would you think that? how bizarre.

and why would the dutch take her?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • rjsterry
    I don’t entirely understand what the fuss is here.

She joined a terrorism organisation.

She is a British citizen, so is entitled to make her own way back. If she has broken some laws when being part of ISIS,and presumably she has, if she returns she’ll be picked up at the border and prosecuted.

Is the concern the authorities don’t have enough evidence to prosecute her?

Then she’s a British citizen, she comes back and they hopefully keep an eye on her.

And I think the foreign office is probably reasonable to not offer any assistance, especially since they don’t have the capability to.

Why is this a debate?

It provides an opportunity for certain people, who might want to take over a senior position, to polish their image as a potential leader.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• imposter2.0

Because the ISIL guy she married out there was/is Dutch, apparently.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,694
    Ach, give it 3 weeks and it'll be 'what?' I refer you to Gatwick drones, Salisbury (setting aside any recent Russian flags like wot bring the the story back to life) etc etc
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Imposter wrote:

and? sorry, i'm struggling here. i'm pretty sure the dutch - and many other nations - won't give you immediate nationality and residency based on the fact that other half joined an internationall recognised terrorist organisation.

or am i missing something?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imposter2.0
    Imposter wrote:

and? sorry, i'm struggling here. i'm pretty sure the dutch - and many other nations - won't give you immediate nationality and residency based on the fact that other half joined an internationall recognised terrorist organisation.

or am i missing something?

And? And nothing. I was simply explaining the Dutch 'connection' as you didn't seem to be aware, that's all.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    I can't help thinking that the over exposure in the media about this one story has an underlying agenda.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.