Wife of ISIS fighter wants to return to the UK

1232425262729»

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Apologies if this has been asked before, but...

IIRC, there were three of them, I think, that originally went out there. What happened to the other two?
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965

IIRC, there were three of them, I think, that originally went out there. What happened to the other two?

They are believed to have been killed but hey it was a war zone so who knows.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    edited February 2021
    john80 said:

They are believed to have been killed but hey it was a war zone so who knows.
    the only good terrorist is a dead terrorist. So with any luck Begums dilemma will be rendered mute.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,773

pblakeney said:

The point about dual citizenship was just that if a country allows it they can't really turn round and deny that person is a citizen when it doesn't suit them - in this case that would apply to both the UK and Bangladesh.

See my post made last night with a quote from their citizenship law.
    As her father was given right to stay in Britain she cannot be given Bangladeshi citizenship, unless she applies for it.
    An article on the BBC website suggests she is automatically a Bangladeshi citizen until 21 when such citizenship lapses unless it is reapplied for. Who knows - one for the lawyers to argue over.
    The bit I quoted from Bangladeshi law contradicts that, and is no doubt their basis for saying that she isn't. As you say, one for the lawyers to squabble over.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    who cares if she is or isn't Bangladeshi. the good news is she isn't British. I couldn't care less if she lives or dies.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,501
    john80 said:

elbowloh said:

I don't get the 'not been able to speak to her own lawyers' bit.
    It is known where she is, she is able to communicate regularly with the press, give off the record interviews, so why is she unable to speak with her lawyers?
    I'm sure she has access to a laptop / phone and Zoom or Googlemeets or something equivalent.

You do realise where she is?
    As well as the physical constraints, she's also apparently been told she'd be murdered in the camp if she spoke to her legal reps.
    She was filmed walking around in normal clothes the other day and begging for forgiveness from the UK. Not sure your claims are true.

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]