Wife of ISIS fighter wants to return to the UK

1246729

Comments

  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Made no comment as to whether it was edgy. You seemed to care enough to say it shouldn't have been posted.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Made no comment as to whether it was edgy. You seemed to care enough to say it shouldn't have been posted.

    What do you mean by the "gossamer" comment then? If this is Terry and June comedy then why would me finding it juvenile and moronic make my skin gossamer like? I'm surprised you'd think my skin gossamer like anyway assuming you've ever read much I've said before; maybe I just come across differently to how I think.....!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Thin skinned.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Thin skinned.

    I know what you mean in that respect. I don't see how me thinking that was poor humour makes me thin or gossamer skinned. I haven't lost any relatives in plane crashes, I haven't had a child abducted never to be seen again, none of my relatives have crashed a car due to being to old to drive nor been hit by such a person and I can add up just about. It's just a very poor quality joke and whoever created it wasn't very bright.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Didn't comment on how funny the joke was.
    You suggested that it should not have been repeated. The assumption was that you thought it in poor taste. If that was not the case, I assume that you have objected /will object to every joke in which you are unable to find any humour.
  • I saw the humour in the joke and was glad it was shared.

    However, I personally cannot wait for this story to be chip paper. She made her own way there, she can make her own way back, and as she is guilty of joining and supporting a terrorist organisation she will go to jail.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Didn't comment on how funny the joke was.
    You suggested that it should not have been repeated. The assumption was that you thought it in poor taste. If that was not the case, I assume that you have objected /will object to every joke in which you are unable to find any humour.

    I thought it poor in pretty much every way it could be poor. Execution, content, subject matter, taste (don't think that thinking something is in poor taste makes me thin skinned). A joke only potentially needs a few redeeming features to make it funny even when it is in poor taste but this has none. As a joke it has about as many redeeming features as Donald Trump does as a human being.
    It seems rather odd that you'd assume that I "have objected /will object to every joke in which you are unable to find any humour". Do you extrapolate everyone's responses to a single post like that? :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Most people who read a joke they think poor, for whatever reason, just tend to shrug and move on. You seem to have been affected enough to post a response to the effect that it should not have been posted. If you did not find offence in the joke, I am at a loss to understand why you bothered to post that it should not have been repeated.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Thought the joke was very dark humour. You either laugh or don't.
    Half you lot on here would have had cardiac arrests at the jokes, office humour and banter in the 70s/80s.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,624
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Thought the joke was very dark humour. You either laugh or don't.
    Half you lot on here would have had cardiac arrests at the jokes, office humour and banter in the 70s/80s.

    Don't worry: Derek Hatton is back in Labour; manufacturing jobs are being lost; people are scrawling "No Blacks" on front doors. Dare we hope for a Jim Davidson comeback?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

    Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Big Break?
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    rjsterry wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Thought the joke was very dark humour. You either laugh or don't.
    Half you lot on here would have had cardiac arrests at the jokes, office humour and banter in the 70s/80s.

    Don't worry: Derek Hatton is back in Labour; manufacturing jobs are being lost; people are scrawling "No Blacks" on front doors. Dare we hope for a Jim Davidson comeback?

    Not forgetting Love Thy Neighbour.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Thought the joke was very dark humour. You either laugh or don't.
    Half you lot on here would have had cardiac arrests at the jokes, office humour and banter in the 70s/80s.

    Maybe most of us experienced that and are glad to see the back of those days?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Most people who read a joke they think poor, for whatever reason, just tend to shrug and move on. You seem to have been affected enough to post a response to the effect that it should not have been posted. If you did not find offence in the joke, I am at a loss to understand why you bothered to post that it should not have been repeated.

    Because I didn't realise that typing a grand total of eight words over the course of about 20 seconds would upset and confuse you so much. I think you may be a little thin skinned...... :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Thought the joke was very dark humour. You either laugh or don't.
    Half you lot on here would have had cardiac arrests at the jokes, office humour and banter in the 70s/80s.

    yeah. Jimmy Saville was a bundle of laughs.

    Goo, you really are special.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

    De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

    Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

    He's right you know.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    Citizenship revoked. I thought they couldn't do that.

    Edit: Seems her mum is a Bangladeshi citizen and therefore she is automatically entitled to be a Bangladeshi citizen herself so won't be stateless.
  • Pross wrote:
    Citizenship revoked. I thought they couldn't do that.

    Edit: Seems her mum is a Bangladeshi citizen and therefore she is automatically entitled to be a Bangladeshi citizen herself so won't be stateless.

    Sounds iffy but helps us look tough - also nothing wrong with making life difficult for her
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,624
    Pross wrote:
    Citizenship revoked. I thought they couldn't do that.

    Edit: Seems her mum is a Bangladeshi citizen and therefore she is automatically entitled to be a Bangladeshi citizen herself so won't be stateless.

    The HO have started the process but it will almost certainly be challenged in court. She's never been to Bangladesh, and I would have thought that if you wanted to make damn sure she stayed radicalised, sending her to a country to which she has no direct connection and that has its own local Islamist extremist problem, that would do it.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

    Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,457
    Pross wrote:
    Citizenship revoked. I thought they couldn't do that.

    Edit: Seems her mum is a Bangladeshi citizen and therefore she is automatically entitled to be a Bangladeshi citizen herself so won't be stateless.
    We can. It seems she hasn't been getting the subtle hints that we want her to FRO, so maybe this will make it clear to her.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,320
    What struck me most about this girl was her seemingly total indifference, a nonchalance even to witnessing bins containing beheaded heads. She lost 2 children and got pregnant again and she is only 19. I think that she has been so psychologically damaged that she is beyond repair.
    I think the least that could be done is to offer safe haven for the baby and for it to be sent to the UK to be brought up by the grandparents. After all, the baby is totally innocent in this.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,624
    She's our problem. We should clean up our own messes, not dump them on some other arbitrarily selected country which already has enough of a problem with Islamist extremism already.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

    Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,457
    rjsterry wrote:
    She's our problem.
    Not for much longer.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,320
    rjsterry wrote:
    She's our problem. We should clean up our own messes, not dump them on some other arbitrarily selected country which already has enough of a problem with Islamist extremism already.

    Any normal person would have been horrified and sickened to the core with what she witnessed. Any normal person would have been distraught at the loss of two children and would not have proceeded with getting pregnant again in that environment.
    She is exhibiting scant remorse and even less condemnation of ISIS. What value does she have in our society?

    I have not seen a tear from her.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,624
    Pinno wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    She's our problem. We should clean up our own messes, not dump them on some other arbitrarily selected country which already has enough of a problem with Islamist extremism already.

    Any normal person would have been horrified and sickened to the core with what she witnessed. Any normal person would have been distraught at the loss of two children and would not have proceeded with getting pregnant again in that environment.
    She is exhibiting scant remorse and even less condemnation of ISIS. What value does she have in our society?

    Who knows, but when I've watched documentaries about children - and that's what she was when she left - affected by growing up in a war zone, there have been some who seem completely detached from it all as a sort of coping mechanism. Her attitude in those interviews reminds me of that.

    As for what value? If nothing else, keep your enemies closer. It would be worth learning more about how a school kid can be persuaded to join a terrorist organisation through stuff they've seen on the Internet. They might not bother travelling to the middle east next time.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

    Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,320
    rjsterry wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    She's our problem. We should clean up our own messes, not dump them on some other arbitrarily selected country which already has enough of a problem with Islamist extremism already.

    Any normal person would have been horrified and sickened to the core with what she witnessed. Any normal person would have been distraught at the loss of two children and would not have proceeded with getting pregnant again in that environment.
    She is exhibiting scant remorse and even less condemnation of ISIS. What value does she have in our society?

    Who knows, but when I've watched documentaries about children - and that's what she was when she left - affected by growing up in a war zone, there have been some who seem completely detached from it all as a sort of coping mechanism. Her attitude in those interviews reminds me of that.

    As for what value? If nothing else, keep your enemies closer. It would be worth learning more about how a school kid can be persuaded to join a terrorist organisation through stuff they've seen on the Internet. They might not bother travelling to the middle east next time.

    Don't you think that her experience has seriously put off potential 'travellers'?
    On the same tack, don't you think that the now very real possibility of not being able to come home has compounded the above?
    Again, by the same token, with no ISIS state as such to go to, perhaps this may not have much future relevance anymore.
    I know what you are saying but I am sure we have enough fundamentalist sympathisers (perhaps even sleepers) to deal with without the addition of 1 more.
    I would have been far more sympathetic to a person displaying remorse. Without the slightest indication of remorse, I feel that she is beyond retrieval. She and her friends must have been so easy to manipulate that one has to question their morality in the first instance.
    I know plenty of kids. I have coached many a teenager and they are not stupid in any sense of the word and certainly not naive. They also do not lack compassion (underneath all those screaming hormones lol).
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • A lot easier to brainwash or influence a child than an adult.

    Not to make excuses but I don't think equating her experiences in Syria with those of a normal British upbringing are in any way similar. And thus her behaviour cannot be judged in the same way as a girl from down the road.

    Is she a danger to the UK? Maybe. Not so far though.

    Is she valuable to our society? No.

    Is she worse than people that actively do harm to UK citizens? No. Or at least, not yet.

    Crazy and misguided she may be but I'm not sure she's OBL quite yet.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    rjsterry wrote:
    The HO have started the process but it will almost certainly be challenged in court. She's never been to Bangladesh, and I would have thought that if you wanted to make damn sure she stayed radicalised, sending her to a country to which she has no direct connection and that has its own local Islamist extremist problem, that would do it.

    Could not agree more. Can always rely on the Tories to act tough and in doing so, completely fck things up...
    rjsterry wrote:
    As for what value? If nothing else, keep your enemies closer. It would be worth learning more about how a school kid can be persuaded to join a terrorist organisation through stuff they've seen on the Internet. They might not bother travelling to the middle east next time.

    This ^^. Would be well worth it for the potential intelligence value alone...
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,624
    Pinno wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    She's our problem. We should clean up our own messes, not dump them on some other arbitrarily selected country which already has enough of a problem with Islamist extremism already.

    Any normal person would have been horrified and sickened to the core with what she witnessed. Any normal person would have been distraught at the loss of two children and would not have proceeded with getting pregnant again in that environment.
    She is exhibiting scant remorse and even less condemnation of ISIS. What value does she have in our society?

    Who knows, but when I've watched documentaries about children - and that's what she was when she left - affected by growing up in a war zone, there have been some who seem completely detached from it all as a sort of coping mechanism. Her attitude in those interviews reminds me of that.

    As for what value? If nothing else, keep your enemies closer. It would be worth learning more about how a school kid can be persuaded to join a terrorist organisation through stuff they've seen on the Internet. They might not bother travelling to the middle east next time.

    Don't you think that her experience has seriously put off potential 'travellers'?
    On the same tack, don't you think that the now very real possibility of not being able to come home has compounded the above?
    Again, by the same token, with no ISIS state as such to go to, perhaps this may not have much future relevance anymore.
    I know what you are saying but I am sure we have enough fundamentalist sympathisers (perhaps even sleepers) to deal with without the addition of 1 more.
    I would have been far more sympathetic to a person displaying remorse. Without the slightest indication of remorse, I feel that she is beyond retrieval. She and her friends must have been so easy to manipulate that one has to question their morality in the first instance.
    I know plenty of kids. I have coached many a teenager and they are not stupid in any sense of the word and certainly not naive. They also do not lack compassion (underneath all those screaming hormones lol).

    I meant some kid might be persuaded to 'join up' and carry out something in this country, as some already have. That's clearly the tack IS are already taking. Stay at home and fight from within.

    Yes, she must have been relatively easily manipulated - that groups target those people is fairly well known. They're not going to go after someone who isn't easily manipulated.

    We've all only seen maybe 2 minutes of footage and a few lines of interview. I think it's misleading to read too much in to those fragments. Who knows what she really thinks.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

    Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,585
    If it was a bloke who’s joined the KKK, done some lynching and helped shoot up a church he still wouldn’t have lost his citizenship.

    It’s also a stupid way to deal with the problem. All you do is push the problem onto someone else. She’s a Brit, Brit government needs to deal with it.

    Just pathetic on everyone’s part here. She’s obviously a sh!t and apparently Sajid is chickensh!t.

    Also, if everyone was a bit more grown up about the whole thing she wouldn’t have garnered the publicity she doesn’t deserve to have.

    I guess this is the kind of Britain-leading-the-world-by-example we should get used to post-Brexit. Push terrorists onto other nations. Look like a bunch of pussies.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    If it was a bloke who’s joined the KKK, done some lynching and helped shoot up a church he still wouldn’t have lost his citizenship.

    It’s also a stupid way to deal with the problem. All you do is push the problem onto someone else. She’s a Brit, Brit government needs to deal with it.

    Just pathetic on everyone’s part here. She’s obviously a sh!t and apparently Sajid is chickensh!t.

    Also, if everyone was a bit more grown up about the whole thing she wouldn’t have garnered the publicity she doesn’t deserve to have.

    I guess this is the kind of Britain-leading-the-world-by-example we should get used to post-Brexit. Push terrorists onto other nations. Look like a bunch of pussies.

    The UK Govs first responsibility to its citizens is their security. I would imagine that their are further security reasons given on the advice of the intelligence services that have caused the Home Office to revoke her citizenship.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.