Wife of ISIS fighter wants to return to the UK

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    So the latest is that she's asking the British public to show her sympathy and allow her to return to the country while at the same time saying she has no regrets. She is either too stupid to realise she needs to at least fake some remorse or she is still supportive of ISIS to the extent she won't express regret. Hopefully the Government will do the absolute bare minimum they are obliged to do.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Imposter wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    and why would the dutch take her?

Because the ISIL guy she married out there was/is Dutch, apparently.

and? sorry, i'm struggling here. i'm pretty sure the dutch - and many other nations - won't give you immediate nationality and residency based on the fact that other half joined an internationall recognised terrorist organisation.

or am i missing something?

And? And nothing. I was simply explaining the Dutch 'connection' as you didn't seem to be aware, that's all.

grazie - was aware of it but as above, doesn't make any difference.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Mr Goo wrote:
    I can't help thinking that the over exposure in the media about this one story has an underlying agenda.

wondered how long it would be before goo and his tin foil hat arrived.........

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Mr Goo wrote:
    I can't help thinking that the over exposure in the media about this one story has an underlying agenda.

Hold on there, that's damned unfair of you to suggest that I'm racist. I am questioning why this one minor story is still front page news.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:

Hold on there, that's damned unfair of you to suggest that I'm racist. I am questioning why this one minor story is still front page news.

Presumably because the media want to ensure the Government aren't in a position where they can be seen to be doing anything that can be construed as assisting her to return (and I don't see MF suggesting you are racist, more that you are a conspiracy theorist).
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:

Don't protest too much, Goo.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • The story has more underlying issues other than her wanting to come back. These people can and will use any outcome as propaganda. Deny her entry - they'll say they abandoned the rights of the child. Anything happens to her - they'll hail her as a martyr. She gets her way and returns, the far right groups will kick off possibly creating more anti-muslim unrest. It's not as simple as deciding if she can come back or not, it's the repercussions of what happens afterwards.
  • Matthewfalle
    Pross wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:

Presumably because the media want to ensure the Government aren't in a position where they can be seen to be doing anything that can be construed as assisting her to return (and I don't see MF suggesting you are racist, more that you are a conspiracy theorist).

thank you Pross.

in no way did i say you are a racist. that is a naughty thing to accuse me of.

and its still on the front page because its fairly big and current news.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • From t'interwebz:

UK gov't has put together a taskforce to repatriate Shamina Begum:

Cardiff City to arrange flights
    Prince Philip to pick her up from the airport
    McCanns to adopt the baby
    Diane Abbott to arrange timetable
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    The story has more underlying issues other than her wanting to come back. These people can and will use any outcome as propaganda. Deny her entry - they'll say they abandoned the rights of the child. Anything happens to her - they'll hail her as a martyr. She gets her way and returns, the far right groups will kick off possibly creating more anti-muslim unrest. It's not as simple as deciding if she can come back or not, it's the repercussions of what happens afterwards.

Quite true. And that is why the only option is to follow the law and our obligations under the law. It's exactly why laws are written to be largely objective.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Imposter wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    and why would the dutch take her?

Because the ISIL guy she married out there was/is Dutch, apparently.

and? sorry, i'm struggling here. i'm pretty sure the dutch - and many other nations - won't give you immediate nationality and residency based on the fact that other half joined an internationall recognised terrorist organisation.

or am i missing something?

And? And nothing. I was simply explaining the Dutch 'connection' as you didn't seem to be aware, that's all.

grazie - was aware of it but as above, doesn't make any difference.

Quite probably, as a) the 'marriage' is likely to be undocumented and therefore not recognised in any way which would be acceptable to UK or Dutch authorities - and b) the Dutch guy is likely to be far worse off than she is, not least because he was most likely a combatant and I don't think there is any suggestion that she was out there doing any actual fighting as such...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    From my own experiences I can tell you the Dutch embassy is fairly racist (at least, here in the U.K.) so I wouldn’t expect him to get much help from them.
  • Matthewfalle
    From my own experiences I can tell you the Dutch embassy is fairly racist (at least, here in the U.K.) so I wouldn’t expect him to get much help from them.

now this is ripe coming from the country that voted for Brexit.....

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    From t'interwebz:

Which is really where it should have stayed.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rick_chasey

Yeah but don’t think the Dutch are any better - definitely a lot of profiling going on when they interview you for your passport renewal.
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696

Yeah but don’t think the Dutch are any better - definitely a lot of profiling going on when they interview you for your passport renewal.

Can't they check on Facebook?
  • rick_chasey
    If you’re not white and struggle with Dutch they will shout and be right up to the border of abusive - they’re downright charming if you are and speak good Dutch.

Not cool.
  • If you’re not white and struggle with Dutch they will shout and be right up to the border of abusive - they’re downright charming if you are and speak good Dutch.

Not cool.

I lived in Germany right on the Dutch border so went there quite often. I found them to be very nice people. If anything I would say they are more so than Germans. I never met one who couldn't speak English and speak it extremely well. It amazed me that many were multilingual doing very mundane jobs. You speak four languages anywhere in the UK businesses would be falling over themselves to employ you. In Holland they could be working in McDonalds and be fluent in Dutch, German, English and Flemish or French.

Back to main point. They always came across as very welcoming. I even had an incident where I damaged my front wheel while out riding with friends. A man in his 60s came out from his driveway and asked if I was ok and offered me a wheel off his own bike to get me home. Never met me before and was generous enough to give me a way to carry on riding. Wasn't a cheap wheel either - Mavic Ksyrium. I don't think id ever get that in the UK.

It is true there are pockets of racism in Holland, tell me a country that doesn't. But in general they are not and it's unfair to tar a whole nation with a such a large brush, especially been it couldn't be further from the truth
  • Matthewfalle
    If you’re not white and struggle with Dutch they will shout and be right up to the border of abusive - they’re downright charming if you are and speak good Dutch.

Not cool.

Sounds like Brexit tbh...............

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle

Not cool.

I lived in Germany right on the Dutch border so went there quite often. I found them to be very nice people. If anything I would say they are more so than Germans. I never met one who couldn't speak English and speak it extremely well. It amazed me that many were multilingual doing very mundane jobs. You speak four languages anywhere in the UK businesses would be falling over themselves to employ you. In Holland they could be working in McDonalds and be fluent in Dutch, German, English and Flemish or French.

Back to main point. They always came across as very welcoming. I even had an incident where I damaged my front wheel while out riding with friends. A man in his 60s came out from his driveway and asked if I was ok and offered me a wheel off his own bike to get me home. Never met me before and was generous enough to give me a way to carry on riding. Wasn't a cheap wheel either - Mavic Ksyrium. I don't think id ever get that in the UK.

It is true there are pockets of racism in Holland, tell me a country that doesn't. But in general they are not and it's unfair to tar a whole nation with a such a large brush, especially been it couldn't be further from the truth

this, entirely, and excellently put. This especially applies to Suzan, who you will never meet because she is so far out of your league it is unbelievable.

I had the pleasure of working with some Dutch Marines a couple of years ago - just really intelligent, multilingual, polite, hard working guys. Far too good looking and cool for their own good though.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • rick_chasey
    Guys I don’t doubt but don’t think the “hostile environment” is exclusively British.

I’ve seen the London embassy change from plush sofas to a metal cage with no seats or toilets.

Nout to do with “national character” and everything to do with FO policy. Netherlands has been making it more difficult to obtain citizenship for a while now.
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    Apparently she now has ‘regrets’...or alternatively someone has told her to stop saying stupid f*cking stuff because you’re screwing up the wafer thin chances of ever getting back!
  • Matthewfalle
    edited February 2019
    Guys I don’t doubt but don’t think the “hostile environment” is exclusively British.

I’ve seen the London embassy change from plush sofas to a metal cage with no seats or toilets.

Nout to do with “national character” and everything to do with FO policy. Netherlands has been making it more difficult to obtain citizenship for a while now.

one word: brexit. thank you and goodnight, you've been a brilliant audience.

anyhow, this is the wrong thread for that kinda talk.

back on track.

she's mental cray cray

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,480
    From t'interwebz:

UK gov't has put together a taskforce to repatriate Shamina Begum:

Cardiff City to arrange flights
    Prince Philip to pick her up from the airport
    McCanns to adopt the baby
    Diane Abbott to arrange timetable
    And maybe a bit of Jeff Dunham for the in flight entertainment?
    https://youtu.be/GBvfiCdk-jc
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Rolf F wrote:
    From t'interwebz:

You must have skin like gossamer.
  • ballysmate
    Where's a drone when you need one?
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    Facebook post by one of my sister in law’s friends:-

Mistakes I made when I was 15:-

Having a massive crush on Ben from Curiosity Killed The Cat
    Smoking behind the bike sheds
    Getting pissed on White Lightning in the park
    Being fingered by (*name redacted)

Mistakes I didn’t make when I was 15:-

Joining a murderous terrorist organisation
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,480
    crispybug2 wrote:

Maybe she could make amends by doing some modelling work?
    https://youtu.be/AIpdC0o3mdM
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • ballysmate
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    crispybug2 wrote:

Maybe she could make amends by doing some modelling work?
    https://youtu.be/AIpdC0o3mdM

Reminds me, I must post that letter tomorrow.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    edited February 2019
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    From t'interwebz:

You must have skin like gossamer.

Not really - if humour is going to be edgy then it really needs to be at least slightly funny. That one wasn't worth the copy and paste effort let alone the exertion involved by the creator in typing it in in the first place.

In any case - as per what Rick said; why is this even worth discussing? She's British. She's also stupid and young and has spent four years living somewhere where the UK isn't getting much positive press.

She has a right to return to the UK and no amount of ridiculous legs spread posturing by clowns like Sajid Javid will change that. Whether she also gets a period in prison is another matter which is sort of down to whether or not she has broken any UK laws.
    Faster than a tent.......