Wife of ISIS fighter wants to return to the UK

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

Out of interest did Blunt, MacLean, Philby, Burgess, Cairncross and all the other traitors whose actions cost British lives have their Citizenship revoked? I tried Google but couldn't find an answer. I guess not in the case of Blunt and Cairncross as they stayed in the UK and Blunt got immunity to prosecution.

I too wondered this and googled it. They were granted Soviet citizenship and the prospect of them applying to return to face the gallows was nil.

From the ruling

https://www.supremecourt.uk/cases/docs/uksc-2020-0156-judgment.pdf

“As the Secretary of State, I hereby give notice in accordance
    with section 40(5) of the British Nationality Act 1981 that I
    intend to have an order made to deprive you, Shamima Begum
    of your British citizenship under section 40(2) of the Act. This
    is because it would be conducive to the public good to do so.
    The reason for the decision is that you are a
    British/Bangladeshi dual national who it is assessed has
    previously travelled to Syria and aligned with ISIL. It is
    assessed that your return to the UK would present a risk to the
    national security of the United Kingdom. In accord with section
    40(4) of the British Nationality Act 1981, I am satisfied that
    such an order will not make you stateless.”

I assume Burgess McLean etc would not have been a risk if they returned. That horse had long bolted.
    The court case is just confirming what has actually been the case since 1981. So the important point is that it is now confirmed that there are two classes of citizen. Ones whose citizenship can be removed solely by ministerial decision - even when dual nationality is disputed - and those whose citizenship cannot be removed. Does that not bother you at all? I would think that, regardless of the intention, that sends a pretty chilling message to anyone who has gained British citizenship, that they can be thrown out without recourse.
    Does it bother me that a person with dual nationality who a Secretary of State can argue to the Supreme Court poses a threat to this country can have their UK citizenship withdrawn?
    Probably won't keep me awake tonight worrying about it.
    The point is they don't need to argue that to anyone. The HS just needs to believe that it is conducive to the public good. The person concerned may contest that decision, and if successful have their citizenship reinstated but almost by definition that is going to be difficult for them to do. Putting this one person to one side, the case has pretty much told the thousands of people who have dual nationality that their citizenship is only provisional.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    Yes provisional

Provisional on not conducted him or herself in a manner which is seriously prejudicial to the vital interests of the United Kingdom, any of the Islands, or any British overseas territory and the Secretary of State has reasonable grounds for believing that the person is able, under the law of a country or territory outside the United Kingdom, to become a national of such a country or territory.
  • ballysmate
    Btw that phrase 'reasonable grounds' crops up quite a bit in legislation and the 'grounds' have to be shown to the satisfaction of a court to be 'reasonable'.
  • Btw that phrase 'reasonable grounds' crops up quite a bit in legislation and the 'grounds' have to be shown to the satisfaction of a court to be 'reasonable'.

I don't think that has yet been challenged in the courts. This ruling was about her being able to return to the UK in order to be able to realistically mount an appeal.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

Btw that phrase 'reasonable grounds' crops up quite a bit in legislation and the 'grounds' have to be shown to the satisfaction of a court to be 'reasonable'.

I don't think that has yet been challenged in the courts. This ruling was about her being able to return to the UK in order to be able to realistically mount an appeal.
    This. She is allowed to appeal this because she has not had fair representation as she has not been able to go to court herself and has not been able to speak to her own lawyers.

However, she may never get to get the opportunity to actually do this because she can't get back to the UK. It's a catch 22.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,488
    I don't get the 'not been able to speak to her own lawyers' bit.
    It is known where she is, she is able to communicate regularly with the press, give off the record interviews, so why is she unable to speak with her lawyers?
    I'm sure she has access to a laptop / phone and Zoom or Googlemeets or something equivalent.
  • I don't get the 'not been able to speak to her own lawyers' bit.
    It is known where she is, she is able to communicate regularly with the press, give off the record interviews, so why is she unable to speak with her lawyers?
    I'm sure she has access to a laptop / phone and Zoom or Googlemeets or something equivalent.

You do realise where she is?
  • elbowloh

As well as the physical constraints, she's also apparently been told she'd be murdered in the camp if she spoke to her legal reps.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    elbowloh said:

Pross said:

Out of interest did Blunt, MacLean, Philby, Burgess, Cairncross and all the other traitors whose actions cost British lives have their Citizenship revoked? I tried Google but couldn't find an answer. I guess not in the case of Blunt and Cairncross as they stayed in the UK and Blunt got immunity to prosecution.

But their parents weren't from Bangladesh you see.
    Maybe not relevant to that particular bunch, but certainly relevant to the Shamina Begum case: I don't suppose you remember Jack Letts do you?
    If you can't be bothered to follow the link, the TLDR is that he is British/Canadian, went to Syria and might have joined ISIS, but clearly had mental health problems, which all amounts to less of a case against him than there is against Begum - he had his citizenship revoked.
  • Dorset_Boy

Yes. What difference does that make?
  • Dorset_Boy
    elbowloh said:

As well as the physical constraints, she's also apparently been told she'd be murdered in the camp if she spoke to her legal reps.
    Interesting, any idea who by and why that threat is being made?
  • elbowloh

elbowloh said:

Interesting, any idea who by and why that threat is being made?
    Err, ISIS members I'd hazard to guess.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh

elbowloh said:

Pross said:

But their parents weren't from Bangladesh you see.
    Maybe not relevant to that particular bunch, but certainly relevant to the Shamina Begum case: I don't suppose you remember Jack Letts do you?
    If you can't be bothered to follow the link, the TLDR is that he is British/Canadian, went to Syria and might have joined ISIS, but clearly had mental health problems, which all amounts to less of a case against him than there is against Begum - he had his citizenship revoked.
    Canada didn't agree with this action "in response, Canadian Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale described the move as a "unilateral action to off-load [the UK's consular] responsibilities,"
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Some people do not consider her to be very British and others suspect that is due to her colour and religion. Would it help if we drew up a list of people she is more or less British than?

Bradley Wiggins?
    Chris Froome?
    Daniel Hannan?
    Boris Johnson?
    Winston Churchill

As she has had her British citizenship revoked, she is not British so it is pretty easy to answer that. Nothing to do with colour or religion, it's a legal fact.
    FFS keep up at the back we are discussing if she should have had her British citizenship revoked on the grounds she was not a proper British citizen.

On what grounds do you consider her to not be a proper British citizen?
    That's not how I read your post, so express yourself better next time.

Pointless question anyway, as it has already been revoked.
    I hadn't realised that SC rulings meant the issue can't be debated in an internet forum. They really do have wide sweeping powers.
    By all means grumble about, cheer about it, it doesn't matter. The SC have given a ruling and it is now case law.
    But Stevo is correct, there is nothing left to debate, the legal position is a fact.
    From a legal standpoint do you really think that is the end of the matter?

It is a judgement on a very narrow legal point and that this will rumble on for years
  • elbowloh said:

The court ruling was really about whether the Home Secretary has the power to remove someone citizenship and it appears they do. They cannot and do not decide about whether that is right. That point is also open to debate.

Surely this ruling was specifically about whether she is allowed back to fight her case
  • Btw that phrase 'reasonable grounds' crops up quite a bit in legislation and the 'grounds' have to be shown to the satisfaction of a court to be 'reasonable'.

I am glad you wrote this as I was starting to doubt my sanity.

It is truly staggering (and informative) to understand how few people read past the headline.

It is also amazing how often the headline not only does not represent the article.
  • I don't get the 'not been able to speak to her own lawyers' bit.

Yes. What difference does that make?

Whilst it is not commonly written about it surely does not take too much thought to figure out the likely facilities where she lives?

If they do not have the basic medical facilities to keep a baby alive what provision do you think they have for an office suite with good broadband?
  • elbowloh
    edited February 2021

elbowloh said:

The court ruling was really about whether the Home Secretary has the power to remove someone citizenship and it appears they do. They cannot and do not decide about whether that is right. That point is also open to debate.

Surely this ruling was specifically about whether she is allowed back to fight her case
    But much of the judgement was based on whether the HS had the power to revoke her citizenship. The appeal court basically said his assessment was wrong and the SC disagreed and that the HS was the one discharged by parliament to make such decisions.

Edit. You're talking about what's on the docket, I'm taking about the implications of the ruling.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    edited February 2021
    Bearing in mind that the SC will rule on the technicalities of the law, they have deemed that the HS is empowered to remove citizenship.

However, is there still a question within international law that she can’t be rendered stateless?

I genuinely don’t know but I can see a scenario whereby the two both come into play.

Ruling the HS is empowered to remove citizenship may be legally correct but only a usable power where dual citizenship exists.

I don’t for one second think this is over. When eventually somebody wants to remove her from Syria and sends her back here, the HS actions may be superseded by international law.
  • morstar said:

Bearing in mind that the SC will rule on the technicalities of the law, they have deemed that the HS is empowered to remove citizenship.

However, is there still a question within international law that she can’t be rendered stateless?

I genuinely don’t know but I can see a scenario whereby the two both come into play.

Ruling the HS is empowered to remove citizenship may be legally correct but only a usable power where dual citizenship exists.

I don’t for one second think this is over. When eventually somebody wants to remove her from Syria and sends her back here, the HS actions may be superseded by international law.

We are quite clearly in the wrong but I would be very happy to see us string it out at minimal cost to keep her in a dangerous sh1thole for as long as possible.

As she grew up in Bethnal Green it might not seem so bad
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    pangolin said:

john80 said:

When she was in the caliphate and it was all going well. When I mean well I mean when they were killing with impunity and sexually abusing the yazidis. Her husband was leaving for work in the morning with a gun and killing people randomly if their imaginary person was not as convincing as his. Came home at night maybe even with a slave wife to abuse. Stellar guy that Dutchman.and a credit to his nation.

When the trial comes round in the UK as a lot of you seem to want it would seem to me the only thing we can pin on her is joining a terrorist organisation. Unless you guys can magic up some witness statements from a chaotic environment with many displaced people. A year or two in jail should discharge that liability and then she can come and live next to you. I don't think I have much in common with her so would pass on inviting her round for tea. Get her on the local school PTA she will fit right in.

Yes heaven forbid we couldn't convict her for things we don't have evidence happened.
    She's not been convicted of anything as far as I'm aware. She's just had her citizenship removed because she's a terrorist danger. A self confessed terrorist I should add. And an unrepentant one that thinks the Manchester Arena bombing was fair game.

She is entitled to appeal against the removal of her citizenship, just not from within Britain.

• david37
    elbowloh said:

Aren't people concerned that this means it's ok to have your citizenship stripped from you, when you've not been convicted of a crime and not been able to speak to your legal representative?

Nope Im not bothered by that at all. After all she could have been a legitimate target for liquidation by drone previously.

• david37
    elbowloh said:

well she chose to live in that society. if that's the norm there let her get on with it.
  • rjsterry

Yes provisional

Provisional on not conducted him or herself in a manner which is seriously prejudicial to the vital interests of the United Kingdom, any of the Islands, or any British overseas territory and the Secretary of State has reasonable grounds for believing that the person is able, under the law of a country or territory outside the United Kingdom, to become a national of such a country or territory.

Just so we're clear, you are quite happy with there being two classes of citizen? Those who by lack of another nationality cannot have it removed regardless of their actions, and those that can.

Secondly the HS is not required to satisfy a court that the grounds for removal are reasonable. They just need to send a written notice to the last known address. The decision *may* be challenged in court. That has still not happened in this case. The court's finding was that Begum was not allowed back into the country to attempt such an appeal.

While there might be little doubt that joining ISIS qualifies as prejudicial to the interests of the UK, it seems quite a low threshold when the only judicial oversight requires the individual in question to bring a case after their citizenship has been removed.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• ballysmate
    edited February 2021
    rjsterry said:

Yes provisional

Just so we're clear, you are quite happy with there being two classes of citizen? Those who by lack of another nationality cannot have it removed regardless of their actions, and those that can.

So that we are clear, yep.
    If we have two people who are equally as dangerous, I would be glad to be rid of one rather than have to keep the pair. It baffles me why you would want to keep someone who was so dangerous when you have the means to be rid of them.

Secondly the HS is not required to satisfy a court that the grounds for removal are reasonable. They just need to send a written notice to the last known address. The decision *may* be challenged in court. That has still not happened in this case. The court's finding was that Begum was not allowed back into the country to attempt such an appeal.

I quoted section 40(5) of the British Nationality Act 1981and so if the HS must have a reasonable grounds to believe that they can become a national of another country. If this belief is held to be unreasonable, the action would be deemed unlawful. Reasonable or not is determined by the court

While there might be little doubt that joining ISIS qualifies as prejudicial to the interests of the UK, it seems quite a low threshold when the only judicial oversight requires the individual in question to bring a case after their citizenship has been removed.
  • david37
    rjsterry said:

Yes provisional

you should add no critical thinking and indoctrinated to the point of no independant thought to your tagline
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,044
    david37 said:

elbowloh said:

Aren't people concerned that this means it's ok to have your citizenship stripped from you, when you've not been convicted of a crime and not been able to speak to your legal representative?

Nope Im not bothered by that at all. After all she could have been a legitimate target for liquidation by drone previously.

Fair point. She's definitely got a better deal than 'Jihadi John' or whatever his name was. You could argue he had his citizenship stripped in a way that allowed absolutely no right of appeal, but I'm not sure many (even in Cake Stop) are keen to fight his corner after the event.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

Yes provisional

So that we are clear, yep.
    If we have two people who are equally as dangerous, I would be glad to be rid of one rather than have to keep the pair. It baffles me why you would want to keep someone who was so dangerous when you have the means to be rid of them.

I quoted section 40(5) of the British Nationality Act 1981and so if the HS must have a reasonable grounds to believe that they can become a national of another country. If this belief is held to be unreasonable, the action would be deemed unlawful. Reasonable or not is determined by the court

On the first point, if they really are that dangerous, surely knowing where they are and what they are doing is better than them being at large with no idea what they are doing. '... Keep your enemies closer' is broadly the approach other countries have taken. Aside from that, being based in Syria doesn't seem to have been much of a hindrance for the likes of ISIS in mounting their attacks around the world, nor in recruiting people like Begum in the first place.

On the second point, yes the removal may later be found to be unlawful if the person in question is able to bring a case. That's quite a big if.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,060
    pblakeney said:

The point about dual citizenship was just that if a country allows it they can't really turn round and deny that person is a citizen when it doesn't suit them - in this case that would apply to both the UK and Bangladesh.

See my post made last night with a quote from their citizenship law.
    As her father was given right to stay in Britain she cannot be given Bangladeshi citizenship, unless she applies for it.
    An article on the BBC website suggests she is automatically a Bangladeshi citizen until 21 when such citizenship lapses unless it is reapplied for. Who knows - one for the lawyers to argue over.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    elbowloh said:

She was filmed walking around in normal clothes the other day and begging for forgiveness from the UK. Not sure your claims are true.