Wife of ISIS fighter wants to return to the UK

Comments

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Aren't people concerned that this means it's ok to have your citizenship stripped from you, when you've not been convicted of a crime and not been able to speak to your legal representative?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,925
    pblakeney said:

Jezyboy said:

Stevo_666 said:

ddraver said:
    I thought the right on group think was that Davis is an idiot. Is he suddenly spot on ?
    That's the great thing about not treating politics like football Stevo. Occasionally you can agree with the "other side"
    This isn't a political matter but a legal one.
    Lol.
    Are you saying the SC ruling was political?
    1st point, It was in my opinion.
    2nd point, my opinion is meaningless. Much like this forum, far less thread.

If you truly think that the Supreme Court is a tool for the government of the day, then can I assume you think it not fit for purpose and would wish it abolished?
  • ballysmate
    Jezyboy said:

elbowloh said:

elbowloh said:

Some people also seem to conveniently forget she was 15 when she left.

Why are you wasting your valuable time trying to defend somebody who wouldn't p1$$ on you if you were on fire?
    It's not even about her, it's about rule of law.
    In which case the SC has ruled on a point of law, accept it and move on.
    Didn't realise the Surry Commuter had such powers.

🙃

Don't ever underestimate him. :)
  • elbowloh
    The court ruling was really about whether the Home Secretary has the power to remove someone citizenship and it appears they do. They cannot and do not decide about whether that is right. That point is also open to debate.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965

elbowloh said:

Why are you wasting your valuable time trying to defend somebody who wouldn't p1$$ on you if you were on fire?
    She would have set you on fire.
  • elbowloh
    john80 said:

elbowloh said:

Have you any evidence that she personally harmed anyone?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,063
    Out of interest did Blunt, MacLean, Philby, Burgess, Cairncross and all the other traitors whose actions cost British lives have their Citizenship revoked? I tried Google but couldn't find an answer. I guess not in the case of Blunt and Cairncross as they stayed in the UK and Blunt got immunity to prosecution.
  • elbowloh
    Pross said:

Out of interest did Blunt, MacLean, Philby, Burgess, Cairncross and all the other traitors whose actions cost British lives have their Citizenship revoked? I tried Google but couldn't find an answer. I guess not in the case of Blunt and Cairncross as they stayed in the UK and Blunt got immunity to prosecution.

But their parents weren't from Bangladesh you see.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • john80
    elbowloh said:

Aren't people concerned that this means it's ok to have your citizenship stripped from you, when you've not been convicted of a crime and not been able to speak to your legal representative?

I will start worrying when the bar drops below joining an illegal war on foreign soil where the side you join would happily wipe out western civilization.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,874

pblakeney said:

Jezyboy said:

Stevo_666 said:

ddraver said:
    I thought the right on group think was that Davis is an idiot. Is he suddenly spot on ?
    That's the great thing about not treating politics like football Stevo. Occasionally you can agree with the "other side"
    Lol.

If you truly think that the Supreme Court is a tool for the government of the day, then can I assume you think it not fit for purpose and would wish it abolished?
    As a logical conclusion, yes.
    I don't have an alternative though which is sad and depressing.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • elbowloh
    What happened to Oswald Moseley's citizenship?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • ballysmate
    Pross said:

I too wondered this and googled it. They were granted Soviet citizenship and the prospect of them applying to return to face the gallows was nil.

From the ruling

https://www.supremecourt.uk/cases/docs/uksc-2020-0156-judgment.pdf

“As the Secretary of State, I hereby give notice in accordance
    with section 40(5) of the British Nationality Act 1981 that I
    intend to have an order made to deprive you, Shamima Begum
    of your British citizenship under section 40(2) of the Act. This
    is because it would be conducive to the public good to do so.
    The reason for the decision is that you are a
    British/Bangladeshi dual national who it is assessed has
    previously travelled to Syria and aligned with ISIL. It is
    assessed that your return to the UK would present a risk to the
    national security of the United Kingdom. In accord with section
    40(4) of the British Nationality Act 1981, I am satisfied that
    such an order will not make you stateless.”

I assume Burgess McLean etc would not have been a risk if they returned. That horse had long bolted.
  • ballysmate
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Jezyboy said:

Stevo_666 said:

ddraver said:
    Lol.

How about when it finds against the government? Is that just to keep up the charade?

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,063
    orraloon said:
    Was going to throw his name in too.
  • ballysmate
    elbowloh said:

Pross said:

But their parents weren't from Bangladesh you see.
    So Sajid Javed is anti Bangladeshi is he? Is that his Pakistani heritage or the British influence on him?
  • ballysmate
    orraloon said:
    He abdicated 85 years ago. How much further back you going to go?
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Jezyboy said:

Stevo_666 said:

ddraver said:
    Lol.

How about when it finds against the government? Is that just to keep up the charade?

I think pressure was brought to bear in this instance. I'm thinking the Supreme Court and civil service are fairly close. The government and the civil service are not the same thing.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,394
    edited February 2021

Jezyboy said:

Stevo_666 said:

ddraver said:
    Lol.
    I find the idea that the law isn’t political utter nonsense.
  • elbowloh
    Javid's original decision to strip her citizenship was political.

The Tories would have been excoriated in the right wing press if he didn't do it.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • ballysmate

Jezyboy said:

Stevo_666 said:

ddraver said:
    Lol.

In what way was this ruling political? And if you think as Blakey seems to that the SC is just an extension of the government, why not scrap it?
  • ballysmate
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Jezyboy said:

Stevo_666 said:

ddraver said:
    Lol.

I think pressure was brought to bear in this instance. I'm thinking the Supreme Court and civil service are fairly close. The government and the civil service are not the same thing.

Why can't the same pressure to be brought to bear in the instances when the SC finds against the government?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,394
    edited February 2021

Jezyboy said:

Stevo_666 said:

ddraver said:
    Lol.

In what way was this ruling political? And if you think as Blakey seems to that the SC is just an extension of the government, why not scrap it?
    The ruling might not be but the rule literally is politics. Politics is ultimately about deciding what is and isn’t law.

Come on don’t be so obtuse for the sake of point scoring.

This defence is so narrow it gets outflanked and surrounded by basic logic.

The criticism is obviously not of the SC and their ruling; they can only operate as the law is intended. The criticism is of the politics of the law itself.This should be obvious.

Fwiw the “she isn’t a British citizen” is another narrow take.

She isn’t British because British literally made her stateless.

So the argument “she’s Britain’s responsibility” is not ably countered by “she’s no longer a Brit” as that rather misses the critical point: that was the process by which Britain refused to accept responsibility for its own citizens, by disowning them.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 28,969
    edited February 2021

Pross said:

I too wondered this and googled it. They were granted Soviet citizenship and the prospect of them applying to return to face the gallows was nil.

From the ruling

I assume Burgess McLean etc would not have been a risk if they returned. That horse had long bolted.
    The court case is just confirming what has actually been the case since 1981: that there are two classes of citizen. Ones whose citizenship can be removed solely by ministerial decision - even when dual nationality is disputed - and those whose citizenship cannot be removed. Does that not bother you at all? I would think that, regardless of the intention, that sends a pretty chilling message to anyone who has gained British citizenship, that they can be thrown out without recourse.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pblakeney
    edited February 2021

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Jezyboy said:

Stevo_666 said:

ddraver said:
    Lol.

Why can't the same pressure to be brought to bear in the instances when the SC finds against the government?
    As I said, the civil service is not the government.
    To take my point further, but we really shouldn't without starting a new thread.
    Who really runs the country? I think it is the civil service with the elected party as figureheads.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • ballysmate
    rjsterry said:

Pross said:

From the ruling

The court case is just confirming what has actually been the case since 1981. So the important point is that it is now confirmed that there are two classes of citizen. Ones whose citizenship can be removed solely by ministerial decision - even when dual nationality is disputed - and those whose citizenship cannot be removed. Does that not bother you at all? I would think that, regardless of the intention, that sends a pretty chilling message to anyone who has gained British citizenship, that they can be thrown out without recourse.
    Does it bother me that a person with dual nationality who a Secretary of State can argue to the Supreme Court poses a threat to this country can have their UK citizenship withdrawn?
    Probably won't keep me awake tonight worrying about it.
  • ballysmate
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Jezyboy said:

Stevo_666 said:

ddraver said:
    Lol.

To take my point further, but we really shouldn't without starting a new thread.
    Who really runs the country? I think it is the civil service with the elected party as figureheads.

So, to get this right. You think the civil service wanted her citizenship withrawn and not the government and it was they who put pressure on the court?
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Jezyboy said:

Stevo_666 said:

ddraver said:
    Lol.

So, to get this right. You think the civil service wanted her citizenship withrawn and not the government and it was they who put pressure on the court?
    Government may have been involved, but pressure was brought to bear IMO.
    It's only my opinion. Quite chuffed that you think it's worth your time.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • john80
    elbowloh said:

john80 said:

elbowloh said:

Have you any evidence that she personally harmed anyone?
    Even Fred West needs a wife. You need that supporting hand striving you on to great things.
  • ballysmate

Jezyboy said:

Stevo_666 said:

ddraver said:
    Lol.

The ruling might not be but the rule literally is politics. Politics is ultimately about deciding what is and isn’t law.

Come on don’t be so obtuse for the sake of point scoring.

This defence is so narrow it gets outflanked and surrounded by basic logic.

The criticism is obviously not of the SC and their ruling; they can only operate as the law is intended. The criticism is of the politics of the law itself.This should be obvious.

Fwiw the “she isn’t a British citizen” is another narrow take.

She isn’t British because British literally made her stateless.

So the argument “she’s Britain’s responsibility” is not ably countered by “she’s no longer a Brit” as that rather misses the critical point: that was the process by which Britain refused to accept responsibility for its own citizens, by disowning them.

Yep our elected politicians make the laws and the courts enforce and sometimes interpret them.
    Not many laws get repealed every time the government changes political colour.
    The court , it seems , accepted that she would not be stateless and accepted that she was a dual British/Bangladeshi.
    My opinion of her hasn't changed much since page 7, 2 years ago, but there again, I am not copied into the security briefings.
    I hadn't thought of her for the intervening 2 years until people started grumbling on here about the court ruling.
    If we have a SC to rule on such matters, lets abide with their decisions. After all, they are just confirming what has been the case for 40 years.