Re: S*** small race thread 2019

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,533
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    It's interesting that the police fine for that behaviour is significantly lower than the UCI fine for missing the podium presentation. I'm not quite sure what that says about priorities and attitudes.
    It was the police that fined him though wasn't it? The fines are more representative of the means of likely offenders, rather than the magnitude of the offence. The average salary in Argentina is about $7000, the average budget of a World Tour team is around $20 million.

Yeah, I appreciate that but it still jumped out as a strange balance. It was probably a moment of stupidity that he thought would be funny but under UK law he could have ended up in prison for 12 months (as could Sagan).
  • Pross wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    It's interesting that the police fine for that behaviour is significantly lower than the UCI fine for missing the podium presentation. I'm not quite sure what that says about priorities and attitudes.
    It was the police that fined him though wasn't it? The fines are more representative of the means of likely offenders, rather than the magnitude of the offence. The average salary in Argentina is about $7000, the average budget of a World Tour team is around $20 million.

Yeah, I appreciate that but it still jumped out as a strange balance. It was probably a moment of stupidity that he thought would be funny but under UK law he could have ended up in prison for 12 months (as could Sagan).

Far more likely get off scot free.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    So what we've got here is:

Iljo Keisse: starts small fire, tries to put it out but also says some of it was only smoke
    Lefevere: says there was only a small fire whilst simultaneously throwing petrol on it as a protest
    Keisse senior: acknowledges existence of small fire and does his best to fan the flames into an inferno

What a way to build the image of the sport. I'll bet Deceuninck are delighted they came on board.

:roll:
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Salsiccia1 wrote:
    I'll bet Deceuninck are delighted they came on board.

:roll:

Yup.
    Also after eight consecutive years, this will also be the last time that sport's current most successful team supports the Argentinian races.

Nobody wins.
  • salsiccia1
    edited January 2019
    Dup post
  • salsiccia1
    And, inevitably:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/keisse-saga-sparks-tensions-between-quickstep-team-and-new-sponsor-deceuninck/

It's so pathetic, doing the right thing would have been so easy, and, you know, the right thing to do.
  • Mikel Landa suffers a major set back in Mallorca on day one of the European season:

http://cycling.today/mikel-landa-breaks ... e-of-2019/

Result.
    1 HERRADA Jesús Cofidis, Solutions Crédits 4:12:29
    2 MARTIN Guillaume Wanty - Groupe Gobert 0:11
    3 MOLLEMA Bauke Trek - Segafredo ,,
    4 VALVERDE Alejandro Movistar Team ,,
    5 WELLENS Tim Lotto Soudal 0:13
    6 HIGUITA Sergio Fundación Euskadi ,,
    7 KONRAD Patrick BORA - hansgrohe ,,
    8 ARU Fabio UAE-Team Emirates 0:16
    9 BARGUIL Warren Arkéa Samsic ,,
    10 MAJKA Rafał BORA - hansgrohe ,,

Not a bad top 10.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Doull wins stage 3 of Jayco Herald Sun Tour with Rowe second (Welsh 1-2!) after the two escaped from a leading group of nobodies (well, I don't know them).
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    And, inevitably:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/keisse-saga-sparks-tensions-between-quickstep-team-and-new-sponsor-deceuninck/

It's so pathetic, doing the right thing would have been so easy, and, you know, the right thing to do.

I am thinking that they are going to have to sack Keisse once they return to Europe because I can see him being a magnet for negativity for the team and their sponsors everytime he appears for them.

All not helped by the initial (un-managed) response from the "money grabbing" team manager who seemed to forget that he needs outside funding for his operation.
    Half man, Half bike
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,597
    Looks like the team got orders from the sponsors to sort this mess out quick-smart. Shame its now so obvious this was the case, rather than just being, like, decent people :(

Nice to see Doull get a win, should help him in the event of the team folding I guess. Rowe will be snapped up quickly whatever.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • Pross
    inseine wrote:
    Doull wins stage 3 of Jayco Herald Sun Tour with Rowe second (Welsh 1-2!) after the two escaped from a leading group of nobodies (well, I don't know them).

My men!
  • inseine
    CarbonClem wrote:
    Looks like the team got orders from the sponsors to sort this mess out quick-smart. Shame its now so obvious this was the case, rather than just being, like, decent people :(

Nice to see Doull get a win, should help him in the event of the team folding I guess. Rowe will be snapped up quickly whatever.
    From the little bit i saw it looked like Rowe gave it to Doull, which was nice :)
  • Major echelon alert just gone off in San Juan. :)
  • Medellin 3 Deceuninck Quick Step 0 in cycling's annual stage equivalent of a WWF bout.

Clever Movistar, with Anacona win the stage and he takes over the lead.
    Alaphillipe very poor to the extent that had he not been wasted, young Remco Evenepoel was probably the stronger, over the course of the final climb.
  • inseine
    Sky are bossing the Herald Sun Tour with Van Baarle set to win the overall after escaping with Nick Schultz ( MS) who won the stage on Arthur’s Seat. Porte and Woods were left isolated and although Woods looks stronger than Porte they were both beaten by King Kenny.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,680
    If I can get all stereotypical on this quickstep lefevre stuff.

Where do you think most of rural Flanders sits on the gender progressiveness scale?

3 years ago I was in Oudenaarde square and the women racers were filtering in, having just finished their race.

Everyone watching the men’s race at the bar didn’t even bother to look around. Absolutely no interest.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    If I can get all stereotypical on this quickstep lefevre stuff.

Where do you think most of rural Flanders sits on the gender progressiveness scale?

3 years ago I was in Oudenaarde square and the women racers were filtering in, having just finished their race.

Everyone watching the men’s race at the bar didn’t even bother to look around. Absolutely no interest.

Just because there's women in a bar doesn't mean they have to be ogled. Chauvinistic pig :D
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • inseine wrote:
    Sky are bossing the Herald Sun Tour with Van Baarle set to win the overall after escaping with Nick Schultz ( MS) who won the stage on Arthur’s Seat. Porte and Woods were left isolated and although Woods looks stronger than Porte they were both beaten by King Kenny.

So much for Sky being no good with smaller teams.
    A tactical masterclass two days on the trot, conducted on the road by Luke Rowe,
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,232
    Medellin 3 Deceuninck Quick Step 0 in cycling's annual stage equivalent of a WWF bout.

Clever Movistar, with Anacona win the stage and he takes over the lead.
    Alaphillipe very poor to the extent that had he not been wasted, young Remco Evenepoel was probably the stronger, over the course of the final climb.

In the face of all the hype, Evenepoel’s performance will have already answered any old git doubting about whether or not he’ll be able to cope to with the bigger boys pace (both the Alto Colorado and TT stages). Very impressive. I will now abstain from any old git doubting - that’s until he has his inevitable blow-up when I’ll say I knew that was going to happen.
    Alaphilippe looked as though he was blowing with about 12-10km to go on the climb, then came around enough to actually attack - but too late to protect his overall.
  • inseine
    As expected, Van Baarle took the overall in the Herald Sun Tour. Sky finished with two stages through Halvorsen and Owain Doull, and the mountains jersey through Christian Knees, with Pavel Sivakov as best young rider. They also took the overall teams prize.
  • Anthony Turgis wins Marseille
  • inseine wrote:
    As expected, Van Baarle took the overall in the Herald Sun Tour. Sky finished with two stages through Halvorsen and Owain Doull, and the mountains jersey through Christian Knees, with Pavel Sivakov as best young rider. They also took the overall teams prize.

giphy.gif
  • Argentina might be a cycling backwater, but the crowds watching the final stage of San Juan, yesterday evening, were spectacular.
    Sam Bennett rounded off Deceuninck - Quick Step's disastrous week, by pinching the win from Álvaro Hodeg, on the line.
    Cav was well positioned when he needed to be, but currently lacks the watts to finish things off.
  • Argentina might be a cycling backwater, but the crowds watching the final stage of San Juan, yesterday evening, were spectacular.
    Sam Bennett rounded off Deceuninck - Quick Step's disastrous week, by pinching the win from Álvaro Hodeg, on the line.
    Cav was well positioned when he needed to be, but currently lacks the watts to finish things off.

Think it was reported that Cav suffered a front wheel flat in the sprint. Looked decent up to that point.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,232
    gotwood25 wrote:
    Argentina might be a cycling backwater, but the crowds watching the final stage of San Juan, yesterday evening, were spectacular.

Think it was reported that Cav suffered a front wheel flat in the sprint. Looked decent up to that point.

Ah! Weirdly, that’s all got to be positive for Cav - mixing it with the like of Sagan and Bennett - ok, so he didn’t get a proper lead out, but his team did well to deliver him through the mayhem to about 300m to go. Wouldn’t it be great if he could rediscover his jump? He keeps talking about not having done any top end sprint work yet so early in the season (which I find hard to believe)...
  • Not sure why the Marseille race isn't creating maximum interest :D:D

First proper win of the season

gettyimages_1093382214_670.jpg
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    SGS

It's the unwritten Pro Race rule...races where the winner is wearing full fingered insulated gloves don't count.
    Half man, Half bike
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    gotwood25 wrote:
    Argentina might be a cycling backwater, but the crowds watching the final stage of San Juan, yesterday evening, were spectacular.

Ah! Weirdly, that’s all got to be positive for Cav - mixing it with the like of Sagan and Bennett - ok, so he didn’t get a proper lead out, but his team did well to deliver him through the mayhem to about 300m to go. Wouldn’t it be great if he could rediscover his jump? He keeps talking about not having done any top end sprint work yet so early in the season (which I find hard to believe)...

Peaking for the tour clearly. endurance base first, then top end drills to sharpen up.
    or maybe not. I reckon if he is clear of illness he might have a chance.
  • Pross
    Not sure why the Marseille race isn't creating maximum interest :D:D

First proper win of the season

gettyimages_1093382214_670.jpg

They're wearing tights so it's just a training ride.