Re: S*** small race thread 2019

1121314151618»

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,111
    JGSI wrote:
    Odd for DQS not to turn up

Leferve said they'd never ride it again after the addition of off road sectors last year. Called it a joke of a race and vowed never to return.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,565
    Imagine that. The idea of a road race with some cobbled or gravel bits. That’ll never catch on for a team like his.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    Webboo wrote:
    I was watching on Euro sport player on my IPad however with 10K to go the stream with Rob Hatch and Brian Smith just finished. Did this happen to anyone else, had watch it on the stream with no commentary.

Missed it from 18Km out to 1km, but the commentary team there before and after...
    Half man, Half bike
  • Webboo wrote:
    I was watching on Euro sport player on my IPad however with 10K to go the stream with Rob Hatch and Brian Smith just finished. Did this happen to anyone else, had watch it on the stream with no commentary.

I recorded on Sky and it cut out about 12k from the line, had to wait for the highlights.
    JGSI wrote:
    Odd for DQS not to turn up

Lefevre threw the toys out the pram last year with the introduction of the gravel sectors
  • In commentary, Hatch said that folks (in most European countries, watching the International feed) needed to switch over channels.
    Didn't effect the UK coverage, other than the fact that the race ran 30 minutes over schedule.
    The latter would have effected Sky recordings, the former, the player etc.

In the absence of the sulking DQS, Lotto borrowed their playbook, sending a Wallays on the early attack and having Maes strangle the life out of any potential chase. Not pretty, but effective.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    I thought tubeless tyres with sealant were the solution to punctures ? Id have thought tubeless with a slightly tougher tyre (I'm not talking gatorskins) would have pretty much made it very unlucky to puncture in those sectors they didn't look all that bad.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • One of the nicest races of the year for me.

Wine, gravel and classics action... Find it hard to dislike.
  • I thought tubeless tyres with sealant were the solution to punctures ? Id have thought tubeless with a slightly tougher tyre (I'm not talking gatorskins) would have pretty much made it very unlucky to puncture in those sectors they didn't look all that bad.

some quite big loose stones but I didn't think they were that bad either. I guess once teams are using tubeless for PR and have the wheels it'll be a no brainer.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    I thought tubeless tyres with sealant were the solution to punctures ? Id have thought tubeless with a slightly tougher tyre (I'm not talking gatorskins) would have pretty much made it very unlucky to puncture in those sectors they didn't look all that bad.

some quite big loose stones but I didn't think they were that bad either. I guess once teams are using tubeless for PR and have the wheels it'll be a no brainer.

Kristoff tried that in Paris Roubaix this year and described it as a big mistake
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • gsk82 wrote:

Kristoff tried that in Paris Roubaix this year and described it as a big mistake

That’s true. Maybe theyve got a way to go yet
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    A certain former-hero won a beach race today...

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,153
    Meanwhile at the Track World Cup in Minsk, Filippo Ganna has absolutely obliterated the pursuit world record - 4.02.647. Could a sub four minute pursuit be a possibility?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    Not just a possibility. Ought to happen in the next 2-4 years.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,540
    m.r.m. said:

Not just a possibility. Ought to happen in the next 2-4 years.

Probably would have already if it was still an Olympic event.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    RichN95. said:

Meanwhile at the Track World Cup in Minsk, Filippo Ganna has absolutely obliterated the pursuit world record - 4.02.647. Could a sub four minute pursuit be a possibility?

Saw Cav on Instagram suggesting Ineos should do a 3.59 challenge like the 2:59 marathon thingie.

Not sure the audience is really there for the pursuit, but it would still be cool.
  • m.r.m.
    Ganna might be going for the hour record in 2020 after getting a GT in his legs according to cyclingnews interview.
  • RichN95.
    edited November 2019
    m.r.m. said:

Ganna might be going for the hour record in 2020 after getting a GT in his legs according to cyclingnews interview.

I'd think that 2021 is more likely. The Olympics is his focus for 2020. But maybe he could do the Vuelta and go from there, but I'm not sure if he'd have the right fitness for three weeks of Ineos grunt work.
  • m.r.m.
    edited November 2019
    He's a really big dude. Vuelta seems a tall ask (Giro and Vuelta seem rather climb heavy usually). Then again only 76 kg at 1,95m.

Could see him do Giro/Tour -> Olympics -> Hour Record
  • RichN95.
    edited November 2019
    m.r.m. said:

He's a really big dude. Vuelta seems a tall ask (Giro and Vuelta seem rather climb heavy usually). Then again only 76 kg at 1,95m.

Could see him do Giro/Tour -> Olympics -> Hour Record

I doubt he's getting on Ineos's Giro team and definitely not the Tour team.
  • m.r.m.
    You're probably right.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,540

RichN95. said:

Saw Cav on Instagram suggesting Ineos should do a 3.59 challenge like the 2:59 marathon thingie.

Not sure the audience is really there for the pursuit, but it would still be cool.
    Doesn't have the same feel of a massive landmark as the sub 2 hour marathon (or sub 4 minute mile in its day) even for a cycling fan, especially as it has already got so close just through natural progression. As I said above, I suspect it would already have fallen if the IP was still an Olympic event.