LEAVE the Conservative Party and save your country!

Comments

• Did anyone watch Roadkill with Hugh Laurie?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

Did anyone watch Roadkill with Hugh Laurie?

Yes. Disappointing ending, I thought
  • rick_chasey
    The vibe of this whole bit is very “mate annoyed his mate isn’t going to the pub anymore now he’s got a girlfriend”
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,145

How can there be a purge of brexiteers when up to now, loyalty to Brexit has been the main qualification? Genuinely confused.

Or is this softer edge only going to be among the expensively hired staff not the ministers?

Perish the thought, but maybe Boris is more keen on clinging to his own political position than any particular political policy...
    If you have no core beliefs then it's much easier to jettison ideas once they have become an encumbrance.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Pross said:

So will there be more of an attempt at compromise / caving in (depending on your stance) now in the short time remaining for negotiation?

Don't be silly, we hold all the cards. We just need to hold our nerve.
    Presumably some idiots still believe that twaddle. The pragmatic solution, which they may have realised too late, was to have some sort of compromise and maybe negotiate in good faith.
    I think the problem is that they are ambivalent to the needs of business. I think this is a symptom of their faith in the ability of the State to drive the economy and borrow unlimited amounts of money.

ie you worry a lot less about the car industry if you think the Govt will have made us world leading AI and green tech industries.
  • rjsterry
    Which still requires us to believe that Johnson and Cummings have a plan. The past year has shown zero evidence of a plan.

The other point is that if you want to achieve all the big changes that you have written about in your blogs, you might need to stick at it for more than a year.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry said:

Which still requires us to believe that Johnson and Cummings have a plan. The past year has shown zero evidence of a plan.

The other point is that if you want to achieve all the big changes that you have written about in your blogs, you might need to stick at it for more than a year.
    Also where do the party MPs fit in to that theory because they seem to believe he's gone for good too.
  • I think Cummings appears to be more in it for himself.

There's also talk that Gove is the slimy one behind a lot of it
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,538
    Fits in with the fact that he would have had the opportunity to leave without the theatrics of carrying the cardboard box in front of the world's media.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,018

Pross said:

So will there be more of an attempt at compromise / caving in (depending on your stance) now in the short time remaining for negotiation?

Don't be silly, we hold all the cards. We just need to hold our nerve.
    Presumably some idiots still believe that twaddle. The pragmatic solution, which they may have realised too late, was to have some sort of compromise and maybe negotiate in good faith.
    I think the problem is that they are ambivalent to the needs of business. I think this is a symptom of their faith in the ability of the State to drive the economy and borrow unlimited amounts of money.

ie you worry a lot less about the car industry if you think the Govt will have made us world leading AI and green tech industries.
    This government have a track record with world leading projects.
    It's not a good record however.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Jezyboy said:

Fits in with the fact that he would have had the opportunity to leave without the theatrics of carrying the cardboard box in front of the world's media.
    Loved the quote by David Davis (obv has a huge axe to grind, but whatever) which basically said he could have just left via one of two other back entrances with his coffee mug in his backpack, rather than putting it in a box and marching out the front !

• rick_chasey

Jezyboy said:

Loved the quote by David Davis (obv has a huge axe to grind, but whatever) which basically said he could have just left via one of two other back entrances with his coffee mug in his backpack, rather than putting it in a box and marching out the front !

Yes so why chose the theatrics?

It’s literally straight out of a film.

Maybe 4 years of gaslighting has me paranoid but I can’t help but think there is something else to this
  • pblakeney

Jezyboy said:

Maybe 4 years of gaslighting has me paranoid but I can’t help but think there is something else to this
    Such as who was leaving by the back doors at the time? 🤣🤣🤣
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Jezyboy said:

You are way over thinking this, he was never going to last, Cameron called him a career psychopath.

As an alternative theory he knows as much about retargeting on social media as the average plumber which gave him godlike status amongst the fvckw1t dinosaurs who populate politics. When he dragged his elite team into solving real world problems they spectacularly crashed and burned. For 9 months they said algorithms a lot to throw the idiots off the scent which worked fine until one said that Carrie had a fat bum and the rest is history
  • Apparently it was that she looks like a squirrel.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,975
    edited November 2020
    Just hope he's gone for good, but not entirely optimistic
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,212
    Doubt it, theatrical flounce notwithstanding. Devious psycho barsteward will get behind and start pulling the strings elsewhere. Dodgy Russian funds for Niggly Farridge to turn his latest self promoting fan club into something more significant, to the detriment of wider UK society of course?
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,538
    edited November 2020

Jezyboy said:

You are way over thinking this, he was never going to last, Cameron called him a career psychopath.

As an alternative theory he knows as much about retargeting on social media as the average plumber which gave him godlike status amongst the fvckw1t dinosaurs who populate politics. When he dragged his elite team into solving real world problems they spectacularly crashed and burned. For 9 months they said algorithms a lot to throw the idiots off the scent which worked fine until one said that Carrie had a fat bum and the rest is history
    https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/here_to_help_2x.png

I think his ability to do well in elections shouldn't be overlooked. But the rest of his achievements are a bit, well, meh.

• rjsterry
    edited November 2020

Jezyboy said:

Not sure where the gaslighting was. His blogs touch on lots of interesting subjects but he comes across as someone who thinks he 'knows' about AI or gene editing or whatever after reading a couple of articles in New Scientist or watching something on YouTube. For all the ideas he doesn't seem prepared to put in the effort to really understand a subject or use it to achieve anything. He's always been prone to theatrics. Thumbing his nose at Parliament when he was called before the Select Committee; the carefully selected scruffy clothes because he's 'such an outsider'; the ludicrous Rose Garden press conference. He's just a lazy show-off with inflated ideas of his own abilities, so you can see why he felt drawn to Johnson.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry said:

Jezyboy said:

Not sure where the gaslighting was. His blogs touch on lots of interesting subjects but he comes across as someone who thinks he 'knows' about AI or gene editing or whatever after reading a couple of articles in New Scientist or watching something on YouTube. For all the ideas he doesn't seem prepared to put in the effort to really understand a subject or use it to achieve anything. He's always been prone to theatrics. Thumbing his nose at Parliament when he was called before the Select Committee; the carefully selected scruffy clothes because he's 'such an outsider'; the ludicrous Rose Garden press conference. He's just a lazy show-off with inflated ideas of his own abilities, so you can see why he felt drawn to Johnson.
    But in the land of the blind the one eyed man is king
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Broken eggs.

No recipe for omelette.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Other than being a tree hugger what do we know about Carrie?

An extra £16bn on defence in our current circumstances seems insane but is it driven by a love of defence or is she a taps full on devil may care sort of a girl.
  • rick_chasey
    The optics of no free school meals over holidays but yes to big war space rockets are....interesting
  • pblakeney

The optics of no free school meals over holidays but yes to big war space rockets are....interesting

I dare say there are more contracts to be awarded in big war stuff.
    I wasn’t born cynical, experience has made me so.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Fuck me. I joked a couple of weeks ago about how policy decisions were not incidentally benefiting donors through contract allocation but actually being made specifically to do so.
    It seems I may have been correct.
  • morstar

Isn't it consistent with your infrastructure spending argument though?

Will be interesting if it goes towards cyber defence. That's arguably where it should be going.

• They must think the party they inherited this problem from is really incompetent.

Still, the tree seems to be alive again!
  • rick_chasey
    morstar said:

Isn't it consistent with your infrastructure spending argument though?

Will be interesting if it goes towards cyber defence. That's arguably where it should be going.
    Not really.

I’m just pro - counter cyclical spending.
  • morstar

They must think the party they inherited this problem from is really incompetent.

Still, the tree seems to be alive again!
    It was a great year for apples this year. Wet winter and long sunny spell in spring. Apparently money trees fared similarly well.

In power since 2010, inherited problems...