LEAVE the Conservative Party and save your country!

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,596
    Jezyboy said:

I find it slightly bewildering that the message was knocked up in a program where the interface was more complex than a text box on a plain background.

I'd presumed it was on Powerpoint. If the UK had any standards, there would be ban on Powerpoint usage.
  • But even then - it's very hard to do what they did in PPT
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,911

Jezyboy said:

I find it slightly bewildering that the message was knocked up in a program where the interface was more complex than a text box on a plain background.

I'd presumed it was on Powerpoint. If the UK had any standards, there would be ban on Powerpoint usage.
    But if it was all done through ppt then it would be much harder to end up with this!

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,638
    edited November 2020
    Why tender a contract to ensure value for money when you can just ask your old mates from school to do stuff. And if they can't help, maybe ask your old man.

An excellent visualisation.

https://sophieehill.shinyapps.io/my-little-crony/
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

Possibly gritted teeth is overstating it, but I think it's pretty clear that Johnson had more in common with Trump than Biden.

I disagree. Negotiating with Trump would terrify most people as he is renowned for saying one thing to your face and then another when out the room. I would rather take on Biden and the UK government would probably take the same view. Christ even the queen did not want to deal with trump and she has shaken some very shady hands at the bequest of the UK government.
    So you disagree that Boris has more in common with Trump because Trump is a known liar?

We have assumed the position and will get fvcked hard regardless of who is President
    Ever the optimist. Trump and Boris are very different characters as much as you would refute this with big generalisations.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,675
    Struggling a bit to see the key points in the 'very different characters' idea. Could you perhaps enlighten us? Gimme 5.
  • john80 said:

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

Possibly gritted teeth is overstating it, but I think it's pretty clear that Johnson had more in common with Trump than Biden.

I disagree. Negotiating with Trump would terrify most people as he is renowned for saying one thing to your face and then another when out the room. I would rather take on Biden and the UK government would probably take the same view. Christ even the queen did not want to deal with trump and she has shaken some very shady hands at the bequest of the UK government.
    So you disagree that Boris has more in common with Trump because Trump is a known liar?

We have assumed the position and will get fvcked hard regardless of who is President
    Ever the optimist. Trump and Boris are very different characters as much as you would refute this with big generalisations.
    Your specific argument was that Trump brazenly lied to people and that Boris would not like that. It is a matter of record that Boris is a liar so I doubt he would be troubled by such behaviour.
    The similarities between the two stretch to far more than lying.

Whoever is President will not give us a favourable trade deal as they will look after their own interests. We have loudly shouted how important a US FTA is, so guaranteeing we will get fvcked extra hard as it will be virtually impossible to walk away from.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

john80 said:

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

Your specific argument was that Trump brazenly lied to people and that Boris would not like that. It is a matter of record that Boris is a liar so I doubt he would be troubled by such behaviour.

Whoever is President will not give us a favourable trade deal as they will look after their own interests. We have loudly shouted how important a US FTA is, so guaranteeing we will get fvcked extra hard as it will be virtually impossible to walk away from.
    This has been bothering me for a long time. It is so f@cking clear we are desperate for a US trade deal we guarantee not getting a good one.

The only sensible explanation is that it is all just a bluff for the Eu’s benefit to get them to offer us more.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    edited November 2020
    So as well as shuffling his comms guy, BoJo is rumoured to be thinking about binning Frost - which seems absolutely mad to me given where we are
  • morstar said:

john80 said:

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

This has been bothering me for a long time. It is so f@cking clear we are desperate for a US trade deal we guarantee not getting a good one.

The only sensible explanation is that it is all just a bluff for the Eu’s benefit to get them to offer us more.
    Probably safer to assume that they have no understanding of business.
  • rick_chasey
    morstar said:

john80 said:

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

There's a reason the smaller countries in Europe were so keen to club together for things like this.

Scale is all important
  • rjsterry
    morstar said:

john80 said:

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

It was also a nice juicy talking point for every Brexiter to squeeze into their 2 minutes/800 words despite there being next to zero chance of any deal with the US within Trump or Biden's lifetime.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,480

morstar said:

john80 said:

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

There's a reason the smaller countries in Europe were so keen to club together for things like this.

Scale is all important
    I can understand that, given that the UK economy is the same size as the smallest 18 or 19 EU economies combined IIRC.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

morstar said:

john80 said:

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

Scale is all important
    I can understand that, given that the UK economy is the same size as the smallest 18 or 19 EU economies combined IIRC.
    Sure, and the UK compared to the US and China?
  • Stevo_666 said:

morstar said:

john80 said:

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

Scale is all important
    Is that the first time you two have agreed on anything?

US economy is 10 times the size of the UK
    The UK is ten times the size of Finland, Czech Republic or Portugal
  • This is the guy who was going to be in charge?

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,750

This is the guy who was going to be in charge?

Ah, so that's where BJ got his idea from.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

morstar said:

john80 said:

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

Scale is all important
    Is that the first time you two have agreed on anything?

US economy is 10 times the size of the UK
    The UK is ten times the size of Finland, Czech Republic or Portugal
    No, I seem to recall we once agreed on something about 5 years ago.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

morstar said:

john80 said:

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

Scale is all important
    Sure, and the UK compared to the US and China?
    There's more to trade deals than size of participants. Although I seem to remember quite a few people saying that a deal with any party other than the EU could be of much benefit to us, so not sure why the interest.
  • john80

john80 said:

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

Do we have a free trade deal with the USA at present through the EU? The answer is no and if you look at the EU link below you will see this has been on hold since 2016. So in reality we could just continue on current terms.

https://ec.europa.eu/trade/policy/countries-and-regions/negotiations-and-agreements/index_en.htm#_being-negotiated

So no I don't agree that we need to do a deal at any case. In fact we will have more flexibility post leaving to defend against tariffs such as on the whisky industry as a response from the EUs perceived subsidies. Essentially the retribution the USA has put on the EU we would be able to push back if we are being punished as is the case now.
  • pblakeney
    john80 said:

So no I don't agree that we need to do a deal at any case. In fact we will have more flexibility post leaving to defend against tariffs such as on the whisky industry as a response from the EUs perceived subsidies. Essentially the retribution the USA has put on the EU we would be able to push back if we are being punished as is the case now.

Whisky tariffs were brought in due to perceived subsidies to Airbus which has factories in -
    Nantes. Marignane. Paris. Saint Nazaire. Toulouse.
    Bremen. Donauwörth. Friedrichshafen. Hamburg. Manching. Munich. Stade. Ulm.
    Broughton. Newport. Portsmouth. Stevenage. Filton.

Do you see why we are caught in a trap?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • john80
    pblakeney said:

john80 said:

Whisky tariffs were brought in due to perceived subsidies to Airbus which has factories in -

Have you looked into the relevance of subsidies related to those UK sites. Most of the UK sites you mention are related to defence with limited civil exposure that the USA has a problem with. You think it is a trap I don't. We are going to have to disagree on this. Airbus has exported out pretty much everything bar wing manufacture in Filton. News flash the French are much more into state aid than the UK.
  • rjsterry
    Not that anybody is making planes at the moment anyway.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• john80 said:

pblakeney said:

john80 said:

Have you looked into the relevance of subsidies related to those UK sites. Most of the UK sites you mention are related to defence with limited civil exposure that the USA has a problem with. You think it is a trap I don't. We are going to have to disagree on this. Airbus has exported out pretty much everything bar wing manufacture in Filton. News flash the French are much more into state aid than the UK.
    Your news flash is out of date.

Brexiteers have spent five years bagging up a trade deal with the USA, you are underestimating the symbolic importance to them.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

john80 said:

pblakeney said:

john80 said:

Brexiteers have spent five years bagging up a trade deal with the USA, you are underestimating the shambolic importance to them.
    Fixed. No need to thank me.
  • rick_chasey
    Rats leaving the sinking ship?
  • john80

john80 said:

pblakeney said:

john80 said:

Brexiteers have spent five years bagging up a trade deal with the USA, you are underestimating the symbolic importance to them.
    I am sure your symbolic importance will matter on the streets to you average Brit if we do or do not get a fta with the USA. Are you the Laura Kuenssberg of this thread?
  • john80 said:

john80 said:

pblakeney said:

john80 said:

I am sure your symbolic importance will matter on the streets to you average Brit if we do or do not get a fta with the USA. Are you the Laura Kuenssberg of this thread?
    Ironically I agree with you that is should not matter to the average Brexiteer in the street. What makes it ironic is that they struggle to name a single reason why we will be better off outside the EU but those that do tend to name the ability to do our own trade deals. As the USA is the only meaningful one it has assumed an almost mythical importance.

Whilst I know who Laura Kuenssberg is I do not tend to watch TV news or the BBC so have no idea what the reference is to
  • pblakeney
    john80 said:

pblakeney said:

john80 said:

You picked the example. Wing manufacture is part of that.
    You appear to think we will get a good and fair trade deal with the US. I don't.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,675

Rats leaving the sinking ship?

Their job here is done.