LEAVE the Conservative Party and save your country!

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,556

Rats leaving the sinking ship?

more a case of turds being flushed out, several years too late
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    remarkable timing, regardless.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,925
    It's hardly like wings are minor optional extras.

If you were in a grumpy mood you could argue that the rest of what airbus did was an expensive tube.
  • sungod

remarkable timing, regardless.

will be interesting to see if johnson survives, he looks like a whipped cur most days

there's little to him beyond his stream of lies, platitudes and increasingly absurd similes
  • remarkable timing, regardless.

You could argue that any change has to be for the better and that his girlfriend has to be better at selecting talent than he is.

On the other hand you could argue that this was the top tier of Brexit talent so whatever comes next has to be even worse.

Maybe we are about to see a lifting of the unnecessary lockdown and screeching Brexit sellout.

If Boris looks any more broken I will start feeling sorry for him
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    pblakeney said:

john80 said:

pblakeney said:

john80 said:

So no I don't agree that we need to do a deal at any case. In fact we will have more flexibility post leaving to defend against tariffs such as on the whisky industry as a response from the EUs perceived subsidies. Essentially the retribution the USA has put on the EU we would be able to push back if we are being punished as is the case now.

Whisky tariffs were brought in due to perceived subsidies to Airbus which has factories in -
    Nantes. Marignane. Paris. Saint Nazaire. Toulouse.
    Bremen. Donauwörth. Friedrichshafen. Hamburg. Manching. Munich. Stade. Ulm.
    Broughton. Newport. Portsmouth. Stevenage. Filton.

Do you see why we are caught in a trap?
    Have you looked into the relevance of subsidies related to those UK sites. Most of the UK sites you mention are related to defence with limited civil exposure that the USA has a problem with. You think it is a trap I don't. We are going to have to disagree on this. Airbus has exported out pretty much everything bar wing manufacture in Filton. News flash the French are much more into state aid than the UK.
    You picked the example. Wing manufacture is part of that.
    You appear to think we will get a good and fair trade deal with the US. I don't.
    The point I am making is that it is of no material difference whether we do or do not have and FTA with the USA as we currently don't and we do a fair bit of trade with them. It is others that think this is somehow important as there is some sort of ego on it. The man in the street will still be able to buy whatever goods they want from the USA if they pay the relevant tariff and the same in reverse. In January it will difficult for the USA to impose tariffs on the UK without some reason for doing so. That is to say we should be saying to Biden. See all those anti competition tariffs the EU has on you we are no longer in the EU. Therefore it is time to have a discussion on tariffs you are putting on our products as we have the ability to look at those currently on your exports. Lets face it this is pretty much all that matters to businesses trying to export. If you are sending stuff around the world you have already figured out how to fill in the relevant paperwork. We currently are having tarriffs applied to our goods for protectionism of businesses that overall is negative to the UK but say positive for a country like France.
  • rick_chasey
    Who quits at the height of a global disaster and also 6 weeks before a gigantic deadline for the biggest project for the nation in a generation or two?
  • He's a believer in superforecasting, in a government that didn't predict an increase in demand for covid tests in the autumn.
  • rick_chasey
    edited November 2020

He's a believer in superforecasting, in a government that didn't predict an increase in demand for covid tests in the autumn.

The big irony in all of this superforecasting malarky is if you actually read it, it's a just a long winded argument for diversity and working against cognitive bias.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,316
    "The PM's special advisor dismisses resignation rumours but says he has plans to move on."

Errrr.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    john80 said:

pblakeney said:

john80 said:

pblakeney said:

john80 said:

So no I don't agree that we need to do a deal at any case. In fact we will have more flexibility post leaving to defend against tariffs such as on the whisky industry as a response from the EUs perceived subsidies. Essentially the retribution the USA has put on the EU we would be able to push back if we are being punished as is the case now.

Whisky tariffs were brought in due to perceived subsidies to Airbus which has factories in -

Have you looked into the relevance of subsidies related to those UK sites. Most of the UK sites you mention are related to defence with limited civil exposure that the USA has a problem with. You think it is a trap I don't. We are going to have to disagree on this. Airbus has exported out pretty much everything bar wing manufacture in Filton. News flash the French are much more into state aid than the UK.
    You appear to think we will get a good and fair trade deal with the US. I don't.
    The point I am making is that it is of no material difference whether we do or do not have and FTA with the USA as we currently don't and we do a fair bit of trade with them. It is others that think this is somehow important as there is some sort of ego on it. The man in the street will still be able to buy whatever goods they want from the USA if they pay the relevant tariff and the same in reverse. In January it will difficult for the USA to impose tariffs on the UK without some reason for doing so. That is to say we should be saying to Biden. See all those anti competition tariffs the EU has on you we are no longer in the EU. Therefore it is time to have a discussion on tariffs you are putting on our products as we have the ability to look at those currently on your exports. Lets face it this is pretty much all that matters to businesses trying to export. If you are sending stuff around the world you have already figured out how to fill in the relevant paperwork. We currently are having tarriffs applied to our goods for protectionism of businesses that overall is negative to the UK but say positive for a country like France.
    See those tariffs? They are not going away on 01/01/2021.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney said:

john80 said:

pblakeney said:

john80 said:

pblakeney said:

john80 said:

can't afford to cut them unilaterally or we would have nothing to trade.

anyway non-tariff barriers are the biggest obstruction as that is what stops the man in the street from buying cheap US chicken or the finest quality Argentine beef
  • Jezyboy

pblakeney said:

john80 said:

pblakeney said:

john80 said:

pblakeney said:

john80 said:

anyway non-tariff barriers are the biggest obstruction as that is what stops the man in the street from buying cheap US chicken or the finest quality Argentine beef
    But but but those are just a few forms right?

• Jezyboy said:

pblakeney said:

john80 said:

pblakeney said:

john80 said:

pblakeney said:

john80 said:

But but but those are just a few forms right?

more or less, might need a quick chat with a vet and a once over of the premises and then you will be good to go
  • We all know Carrie is a tree hugger but do we know if she is in favour of a planned or market economy?
    It would be nice if she could make comrade Boris more business friendly
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,699
    The most worrying thing to come out of the whole Can-Cummings hoo-ha is the suggestion that assorted SpAds were briefing things to the press as a way of bouncing Johnson into making a decision. No wonder that there's so little sense of direction on... well, anything really.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,694
    Yebbut. The great british public voted to Take Back Control from all those unelected bureaucrats. Tick tock tick tock... Anyways no worries, 80 seat majority.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,699
    If ever there was an illustration of just how pathetically weak Johnson is.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • People are still looking at Johnson as a politician rather than an entitled gobshite who had a newspaper column. Elect a clown, get a circus.
  • rick_chasey
    Month before Brexit lol
  • rick_chasey
    I am glad however.

This sums it up re Brexit

• Jezyboy
    I do find it interesting that the line of unacceptable behaviour is not damaging the publics attitude to lockdown, but sending unsavoury texts about BoJos mistress, sorry girlfriend.

• How can there be a purge of brexiteers when up to now, loyalty to Brexit has been the main qualification? Genuinely confused.

Or is this softer edge only going to be among the expensively hired staff not the ministers?
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,932

How can there be a purge of brexiteers when up to now, loyalty to Brexit has been the main qualification? Genuinely confused.

Or is this softer edge only going to be among the expensively hired staff not the ministers?

Perish the thought, but maybe Boris is more keen on clinging to his own political position than any particular political policy...
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,694
    Perhaps Blxxdy Stupid Johnson has realised that he was being lied to and manipulated to suit someone else's agenda? Surprise surprise.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    I'm guessing it was more a case of Carrie telling him than him coming to the conclusion himself. That would be less of a surprise.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    So will there be more of an attempt at compromise / caving in (depending on your stance) now in the short time remaining for negotiation?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,331
    Pross said:

So will there be more of an attempt at compromise / caving in (depending on your stance) now in the short time remaining for negotiation?

Don't be silly, we hold all the cards. We just need to hold our nerve.
    Presumably some idiots still believe that twaddle. The pragmatic solution, which they may have realised too late, was to have some sort of compromise and maybe negotiate in good faith.
  • sungod
    pblakeney said:

I'm guessing it was more a case of Carrie telling him than him coming to the conclusion himself. That would be less of a surprise.

cain-cummings bag stratton as johnson's press secretary because she was making sunak look too good and they wanted to distract johnson

symonds recalls how johnson betrayed his then current wife for her, knows his track record, has vision of johnson carrying on as usual

symonds gets her retaliation in fast, cain and cummings out

will johnson betray symonds before she can get stratton out, or is it already too late