LEAVE the Conservative Party and save your country!

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,746

Wasn't delivering the WA one of the plus points?

I think we're now down to increasing spending to support the economy through the first wave of the pandemic. And owning the libs.

and not doing much
    It's a very expensive way to not do much.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,850
    I’m perfectly willing to do less. I’d even have less of a salary demand if that is the main requisite. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rjsterry said:

I think we're now down to increasing spending to support the economy through the first wave of the pandemic. And owning the libs.

and not doing much
    i believe in small Govt so the less they do the better and in the last twelve months they have done virtually nothing.

Having a coalition is perfect for not being able to do too much

As for the cost I would give them a £1bn a year to chuck at cronies and then they would not need to give them important jobs and contracts
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,330
    The Ron Swanson approach to Government
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,796
    edited September 2020
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2020/sep/08/coronavirus-uk-update-politics-live-johnson-chairs-cabinet-following-health-chiefs-people-have-relaxed-too-much-warning?page=with:block-5f5795438f08c5bb9a75768a#block-5f5795438f08c5bb9a75768a

Says something.

At the time one might have been tempted to view this as hyperbole motivated by politeness. But a year later Johnson told a private Tory dinner that he was “increasingly admiring of Donald Trump” and he went on:

I have become more and more convinced that there is method in his madness … Imagine Trump doing Brexit. He’d go in bloody hard … There’d be all sorts of breakdowns, all sorts of chaos. Everyone would think he’d gone mad. But actually you might get somewhere.
  • rjsterry
    Even Trump has the sense to formally withdraw from a Treaty before doing whatever it is that he wants to do.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry said:

and not doing much
    i believe in small Govt so the less they do the better and in the last twelve months they have done virtually nothing.

As for the cost I would give them a £1bn a year to chuck at cronies and then they would not need to give them important jobs and contracts
    They have done two substantial things. Agreed a withdrawal agreement and left the European Union, and reacted to a pandemic. I'd say they have messed up both of them at considerable cost (with the exception of the furlough scheme so far which is not messed up at considerable cost).

I love the idea of giving corrupt people £1bn and saying "now play nice and don't be corrupt with the rest, OK?"
  • rjsterry said:

and not doing much

They have done two substantial things. Agreed a withdrawal agreement and left the European Union, and reacted to a pandemic. I'd say they have messed up both of them at considerable cost (with the exception of the furlough scheme so far which is not messed up at considerable cost).

I love the idea of giving corrupt people £1bn and saying "now play nice and don't be corrupt with the rest, OK?"
    You trade the billion for regulation and a toothy enforcer.
  • pblakeney

rjsterry said:

and not doing much

Why not simply skip the giving away £1B part?
    Oh, cos those making the decisions benefit. Don't expect any change soon.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

and not doing much

Why not simply skip the giving away £1B part?
    Oh, cos those making the decisions benefit. Don't expect any change soon.
    why would they make it illegal to accept a bribe? you have to trade them something

this way does less harm to UK PLC as they can contract with people who own ships and have experience of supplying PPE. They can give Richard Desmond £50m and optimise his development for the good of the local community.

a nicer way of looking at it would be public funding for political parties but I would still want to see anti-graft legislation backed up by stiff sentences
  • pblakeney
    You need to make your sarcasm a touch more obvious.
    I almost thought you were serious there.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    Just read in cycling weekly the gov't is planning to ban riding two-abreast, presumably killing off the club run.

Seriously, what is wrong with these people.
  • rjsterry
    No problem. Just break that law only in a specific and limited way.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Just read in cycling weekly the gov't is planning to ban riding two-abreast, presumably killing off the club run.

Seriously, what is wrong with these people.

First it was the stupid mask rule...
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,681
    A Boris positive - increasing the vocabulary of the population.
  • Hey Rick, with our descent into a banana republic are you still confident that debt does not matter?
  • A Boris positive - increasing the vocabulary of the population.

I'm not sure that 'whiff-whaff' and cod Latin & Greek are going to be of much use to most people. And I think the ship has sailed on 'piccaninnies'.
  • rick_chasey
    edited September 2020

Hey Rick, with our descent into a banana republic are you still confident that debt does not matter?

My assumptions rest on a level of law abiding competence, but if that is breached then there are bigger fish to fry than the debt.
  • Hey Rick, with our descent into a banana republic are you still confident that debt does not matter?

My assumptions rest on a level of law abiding competence, but if that is breached then there are bigger fish to fry than the debt.
    ahhh, you see I am a huge believer in black swan theory so believe something bad will come along and blow everything off course.

Trump was planning to borrow $1trn this year now it will be $2trn
  • rick_chasey

Hey Rick, with our descent into a banana republic are you still confident that debt does not matter?

ahhh, you see I am a huge believer in black swan theory so believe something bad will come along and blow everything off course.

Trump was planning to borrow $1trn this year now it will be $2trn
    Yes you are probably right.

• rjsterry
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pblakeney
    Whitewash taken to a new level! 🤬
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • It's nothing to do with the laptop being wiped - that is just good security practice if the laptop stopped being company property.

The big question is why have the records gone from the server?
  • rjsterry
    edited September 2020
    They really are plumbing new depths with this. Obviously I have a professional interest and I have been left slack-jawed by some of the admissions so far.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Rayner: Next time a man with Covid symptoms drives from London to Durham it will probably be to get a test.
  • this looks so crooked it defies belief that nobody bothers to ask what they are expecting in return for their £100k
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,941

this looks so crooked it defies belief that nobody bothers to ask what they are expecting in return for their £100k
    Quote from the article, working in the real world helps keep MPs grounded.

100k for 7 hours a week?

Grounded?

• Jezyboy said:

this looks so crooked it defies belief that nobody bothers to ask what they are expecting in return for their £100k
    Quote from the article, working in the real world helps keep MPs grounded.

100k for 7 hours a week?

Grounded?

they are obviously not doing it for his cutting edge brain or the kudos of being associated with him so somebody should be forced to explain why pay him all of that money.