LEAVE the Conservative Party and save your country!

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,680

Jezyboy said:

this looks so crooked it defies belief that nobody bothers to ask what they are expecting in return for their £100k
    Quote from the article, working in the real world helps keep MPs grounded.

100k for 7 hours a week?

Grounded?

they are obviously not doing it for his cutting edge brain or the kudos of being associated with him so somebody should be forced to explain why pay him all of that money.
    Grift!
  • Jezyboy said:

this looks so crooked it defies belief that nobody bothers to ask what they are expecting in return for their £100k

100k for 7 hours a week?

Grounded?

they are obviously not doing it for his cutting edge brain or the kudos of being associated with him so somebody should be forced to explain why pay him all of that money.
    Grift!
    but is it for insider knowledge or Boris owed him a bung, failed to deliver Chair of Intelligence Committee so got a Tory donor to pay it straight to Grayling?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,680

Jezyboy said:

100k for 7 hours a week?

Grounded?

Grift!
    but is it for insider knowledge or Boris owed him a bung, failed to deliver Chair of Intelligence Committee so got a Tory donor to pay it straight to Grayling?
    So if I was in the business of grift, I'd be in the business of promising cushty jobs when whatever issue you want done is blown over.

So presumably Grayling did them a solid, or tried to, a while ago.

I have heard various rumours of why people like Sajid end up on juicy roles at JP Morgan or Osbourne at BlackRock, and it's usually rumoured to do with various individual tax decisions. All unsubstantiented of course, but if I was running a newspaper I'd be buttering up the right tax accountants in these firms.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,768
    It's not what you know, it's who you know. Twas ever thus.
    They don't even bother trying to be subtle about it now.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Hits too close to home does it? ;)

Very common to test for drugs and alcohol in manufacturing and I'd assume construction and engineering.

It's an interesting comparison though. The H&S implications are obviously much lower in an office environment. Should intoxication in the workplace (of any form) be the governments issue?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,534
    They should start in Parliament, it is just an office after all. Lead by example.
  • Launching any initiative with the word "testing" in it is a weird pr decision just now.
  • All you need to know about her is that she is an Asian woman loved by the Tory party membership which tells you that her views are more extreme and intolerant than their own.

Would you really need to guess or be surprised by her views on capital punishment, use of torture, surveillance or populist sentencing?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,655
    This picture by Andrew Parsons doing the rounds says quite a lot.

Insert your own captions.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • "Lots of people are angry because they can’t get a Covid test. According to Jacob Rees-Mogg, however, they should jolly well stop moaning.

Enough of “this endless carping, with people saying it is difficult to get [a test],” he told the Commons on Thursday. Instead, said Mr Rees-Mogg, people “should be celebrating” the Government’s efforts as a “phenomenal success”. Well, that’s one way of looking at it. And, to be fair, maybe he does have a point. In this country we have a habit of focusing on the bad news, and ignoring the good.

Take the Titanic. People are always banging on about how it sank. Yet they never stop to celebrate the many hundreds of miles for which it stayed successfully afloat. There’s barely any praise for the ship’s sumptuous interior decor, or the splendid food, or the immaculate table service by the staff. And there’s scarcely a mention of the magnificent range of onboard amenities: the Turkish baths, the saltwater swimming pool, the state-of-the-art gymnasium. Instead, all we ever hear is this endless carping about icebergs, and not enough lifeboats.

Personally, I think we should all take a leaf out of Mr Rees-Mogg’s book, and try to be more positive. Instead of feeling sorry for ourselves, let’s be grateful for what we’ve got. After all, next year is bound to be far worse."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/09/19/sasha-swires-outrageous-diary-will-embarrass-david-cameron-not/
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    edited September 2020
    rjsterry said:

Boris - "I've got a wasps nest in the attic at Number 10" .
    Whitty - "We need to burn your house down then to control the wasp".
    Cummins - "Strictly speaking that would be arson but we need to get it done so in this instance we will break the law in a specific and limited way".
    Cakestop - "We should've burnt his house down harder and sooner".
    Hancock - "Speak up Cakestop we can't hear you from behind your sofa".
  • shortfall
    edited September 2020
  • Also cakestop."Don't worry it's only wasps. Wasps kill loads of people anyway. You'll probably be unaffected by the wasps. They're only wasps for god's sake. We can't do anything about what turns out to be the killer wasps that put you in intensive care, we just have to live with them, and anyone who says they are worth avoiding is a scaredy cat. And Sweden."
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    edited September 2020
    rjsterry said:

“For the millionth time I am not Chris fvcking Grayling”

Or as he is more commonly known Half Whitty

Hancock - I wonder what is for tea
  • Johnson: "Can we blame the EU and the WA for this?

Hancock: "I feel sick. Can I go to the toilet?"

Cummings: "Huh, call yourself an expert?"

Whitty: "Anyone got a paddle?"
  • shortfall

Also cakestop."Don't worry it's only wasps. Wasps kill loads of people anyway. You'll probably be unaffected by the wasps. They're only wasps for god's sake. We can't do anything about what turns out to be the killer wasps that put you in intensive care, we just have to live with them, and anyone who says they are worth avoiding is a scaredy cat. And Sweden."

I obviously touched a nerve 😘
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,492
    shortfall said:

rjsterry said:

Boris - "I've got a wasps nest in the attic at Number 10" .
    Whitty - "We need to burn your house down then to control the wasp".
    Cummins - "Strictly speaking that would be arson but we need to get it done so in this instance we will break the law in a specific and limited way".
    Cakestop - "We should've burnt his house down harder and sooner".
    Hancock - "Speak up Cakestop we can't hear you from behind your sofa".
    :smiley:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • shortfall said:

Also cakestop."Don't worry it's only wasps. Wasps kill loads of people anyway. You'll probably be unaffected by the wasps. They're only wasps for god's sake. We can't do anything about what turns out to be the killer wasps that put you in intensive care, we just have to live with them, and anyone who says they are worth avoiding is a scaredy cat. And Sweden."

I do find it a bit weird that there are opinions in cakestop from all sides, but there are moans about it being an echo chamber.

I like reading your input even when I disagree, because it makes me try to justify my thinking.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,612

shortfall said:

I do find it a bit weird that there are opinions in cakestop from all sides, but there are moans about it being an echo chamber.

I like reading your input even when I disagree, because it makes me try to justify my thinking.
    Is it possible to have two echo chambers?
  • shortfall

shortfall said:

There are a few dissenting voices (NickIce, Coopster, Stevo, Me) but I'd say we were heavily outnumbered. I initially used an individual's name in my caption post but I changed it to the more generic "cakestop" after a short period of reflection.
  • shortfall
    edited September 2020
    rjsterry said:

This one was from Twitter:
    "For fu-ck.s sake don't let anyone else through the door or we're in breach of the rule of six!"
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,682
    shortfall said:

rjsterry said:

This one was from Twitter:
    "For fu-ck.s sake don't let anyone else through the door or we're in breach of the rule of six!"
    Nah, they'd be fine with more than 6. It's an organised sport: taking the country for a ride.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    shortfall said:

shortfall said:

There are a few dissenting voices (NickIce, Coopster, Stevo, Me) but I'd say we were heavily outnumbered. I initially used an individual's name in my caption post but I changed it to the more generic "cakestop" after a short period of reflection.
    And yet most of the posters self identify as right of centre.
    Personally see my self as dead centre with opinions falling on both sides depending on the argument.
    Not many on here identify as left of centre.
    I think TBB has summed it up succinctly.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,534

shortfall said:

I can't remember the last time I've heard anyone on here (or possibly any social media platform) say "fair point, that's made me reconsider my opinion".
  • Pross said:

shortfall said:

I can't remember the last time I've heard anyone on here (or possibly any social media platform) say "fair point, that's made me reconsider my opinion".

I can.

There was one on 'leg strength' in about 2012.
  • shortfall said:

shortfall said:

Are you arguing that Cakestop is united in general or that they are united against Tories?

If the former then it is more of a swirling (small) mass taking different sides on different topics.

If this thread then you would have to see what people’s objections are. Mine is that they elected a fvck wit as leader and morphed into the Labour Party of Ed Miliband. My opposition to Govt borrowing puts me at odds with everybody else and mainstream economics.
  • shortfall
    edited September 2020

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

Are you arguing that Cakestop is united in general or that they are united against Tories?

If the former then it is more of a swirling (small) mass taking different sides on different topics.

If this thread then you would have to see what people’s objections are. Mine is that they elected a fvck wit as leader and morphed into the Labour Party of Ed Miliband. My opposition to Govt borrowing puts me at odds with everybody else and mainstream economics.
    My point is that whilst there is variation on some topics (let's say lockdown) where the majority opinion here is that lockdown works and there is only slight deviation on when it should be done and for how long not whether it's actually the wrong thing to do which is left to me and Coopster to argue the point (now just Coopster because I gave up banging my head against a brick wall despite Sweden's approach looking increasingly like it was a good idea after all). Similarly the Brexit debate where the majority opinion appears to be that it was boneheaded on every level and the only disagreement is around the fringes about ways to mitigate the effects. Once again it's left to Coopster, Stevo and myself to argue that it might have actually been the right thing to do although not in the disastrous manner we've done it via a ridiculous referendum with no plan for if we voted Leave, and with botched negotiation from a succession of cretins at the helm. Again I bowed out of the debate because I was almost a lone voice drowned out by a chorus of metropolitan Europhiles who didn't seem to understand or care why so many working class people voted to leave, and once again Coopster and Stevo are left to fight the fray. There are other examples of debate I've found in my 4 or 5 years on here that are dominated by middle class, metropolitan, liberal voices where the few dissenters are dismissed as either David David Icke types or harmless eccentrics to be ignored or patted on the head. So yeah you might argue with Rick about the levels of debt and a few other points but most of you' are probably on the same page about most of the big issues I would guess.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,682
    Why did so many 'working class' people vote to Leave? Wtf has 40 years of Tory initiated de-industrialisation and drive to low wage service economy have to do with the EU membership or not?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,768
    orraloon said:

Why did so many 'working class' people vote to Leave? Wtf has 40 years of Tory initiated de-industrialisation and drive to low wage service economy have to do with the EU membership or not?

Easy to read slogans on the side of the bus beats a 10 page thesis every day.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.