LEAVE the Conservative Party and save your country!

Comments

• morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    pblakeney said:

Jeremy.89 said:

To be a bit more on topic, it is quite weird that if you eat out as a family you'll get more government funding towards that meal than a family living in poverty get to help feed their kid for a week.

It is weird when it's put in to that context.

Waiting to see what resturants actually join in the plan before I make a judgement. If it's just Spoons, Nandos, and the dross chains that are often attached to retail parks, I think I'll pass.
    It cuts out for mains over £10 doesn't it?
    I think it's a maximum discount of £10 per person.

It's a gimmick. Not hugely helpful but won't do any harm.
    The VAT decrease is far more help.

Only Monday to Wednesday too.
    And a few other restrictions which further commit it to a gimmick.
    Treat all these announcements like the Budget. A few headline grabbers but the devil is in the detail.
    The Monday to Wednesday bit is an attempt at a clever solution though.
    With social distancing in place, smoothing attendance over the week is a highly desirable outcome.
    Not convinced it will work but worth a try.
    I’m gaining a lot of respect for Rishi attempting to think outside the box.
    Boris fills his cabinet with sycophants and yes men and yet still accidentally let some talent sneak in.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,590
    Fair points.
    BJ doing something by accident doesn’t surprise me. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,225
    Anyone in favour of Chris Grayling being head of the intelligence committee?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,128

If that's what it takes to actually have one, it's fine, despite the seeming oxymoron.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,864

is the point not that these committees are intended as a check on the Govt and Boris is making them toothless
  • Jeremy.89
    Jeremy.89 Posts: 457

He's quite likely to release the Russia report by accident?
  • kingstongraham
    In the event of nuclear devastation, almost certainly somehow caused by Chris Grayling, Chris Grayling would not simply survive, but there would be someone surveying the ash cloud and the onset of nuclear winter going: “You know what, clearing this up looks like a job for Chris Grayling."

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jul/10/chris-grayling-chair-intelligence-committee-
  • kingstongraham

Not even the intelligence committee.

Apparently Grayling didn't see it coming, which will be a surprise to all.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,484
    Excellent news to see Julian Lewis appointed as chair of the ISC. Commiserations to Chris Grayling 😏
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    edited July 2020
    rjsterry said:

Excellent news to see Julian Lewis appointed as chair of the ISC. Commiserations to Chris Grayling 😏

Ah, the only MP who refuses to let his constituents email him and one who started his career trying to infiltrate the labour party. Stevo will probably love him.
  • rjsterry
    edited July 2020
    Opposite reasons to Stevo. The email thing is odd, but each to their own. Presumably we can agree that he will be better at the job than Grayling and is less likely to be pushed around by Johnson and Co.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Julian Lewis has now had the whip removed. More infighting?
  • rick_chasey
    rjsterry said:

Opposite reasons to Stevo. The email thing is odd, but each to their own. Presumably we can agree that he will be better at the job than Grayling and is less likely to be pushed around by Johnson and Co.

Mmm not so sure. He’s ERG and Leave Means Leave so all bets are off.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

It's not a Brexit related SC.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

No I know. It’s more a judge of how thick they are, to be blunt.
  • kingstongraham
    webboo said:

Well I'm sure that will help.

They must be bricking it if there's anything to come out, having thought they had stitched it up.
  • surrey_commuter

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Lol - I usually get told off for that sort of comment but there does seem to be a very strong correlation.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

I don't think, looking at his academic record, you could describe him as thick. I strongly disagree with his views on Europe, but that's a different matter. He's no Mark Francois.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• surrey_commuter
    So Grayling failing to even get a thoroughly undeserved job is a new low.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,590

So Grayling failing to even get a thoroughly undeserved job is a new low.

He is however, a spectacular success at failure.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rjsterry

webboo said:

Well I'm sure that will help.

They must be bricking it if there's anything to come out, having thought they had stitched it up.
    The boasts/threats of revolutionising Whitehall seem to be a little overplayed if they can't even get their man into a select committee. To then think that removing the whip does anything other than draw more attention to being outplayed suggests they are really just not that good at anything other than winning a big national vote.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

I don't think, looking at his academic record, you could describe him as thick. I strongly disagree with his views on Europe, but that's a different matter. He's no Mark Francois.
    Well then Raab must be super smart....

I’ve been doing this long enough to know academics don’t necessarily mean much.
  • rick_chasey
    https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/economy/2020/07/adults-room

Reads a little like a puff-piece for the BoE but it's probably near the mark
  • rick_chasey

Other take, more positive on Cummings re lockdown
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

It feels like stating the obvious, but just because you disagree with someone, doesn't mean they are stupid or lack ability. Lewis is obviously a better bet for the role than Grayling.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

It feels like stating the obvious, but just because you disagree with someone, doesn't mean they are stupid or lack ability. Lewis is obviously a better bet for the role than Grayling.
    Grayling studied at Cambridge - academics don't mean all that much. Seriously. Older I get, the more I think oxbridge is a class thing and not a smarts thing.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Grayling studied at Cambridge - academics don't mean all that much. Seriously. Older I get, the more I think oxbridge is a class thing and not a smarts thing.
    So academic qualifications are no indicator of intelligence or ability, but membership of a group of Eurosceptics within Parliament is? FWIW, I don't think Grayling is thick either, just lacking in managerial ability. Anyway, Lewis has previous experience on the ISC and is widely acknowledged to have expertise on defence matters. I think his views on Brexit are at most tangential to this role.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    I'll say it again, it's not the views per-se, but what they say about his judgement.
  • rjsterry

I'll say it again, it's not the views per-se, but what they say about his judgement.

Let's put it another way: there were some pretty inept people (to put it mildly) on the other side of the Brexit debate, but I didn't disown the entire idea because of their involvement.
    Pinnacle Monzonite