LEAVE the Conservative Party and save your country!

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,153

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

orraloon said:

That's a priti poor one from the deflection maestro. 😉

I'm just wishing for a better future :)

I fear that placing your trust in Johnson to deliver that better future is as misplaced as the trust put in him by several women.
    But I was putting my trust in Rick and SC...

That would be like putting your trust in relatives of someone who's had an operation screwed up by a incompetent surgeon being able to do the reconstructive surgery required.

The better plan would be to get a competent surgeon.
    I recon a decent majority of cake stoppers would be better than the Tory MP who I grew up with.

They're actually a bit thick.
    Rick for president then. SC could be your chancellor of the exchequer after you've thrashed out your deal at 'La Granita'.
    I think we could all agree the popularity contest part of being president, which, let's face it, is not immaterial to the job, would be a real challenge for me.

My temper would also be tricky. Leaders do not lose their cool and/or rag. That and I wouldn't want the work, wouldn't enjoy it, and would rather see someone more capable doing it.

I'm quite happy to know what's best in a leader but recognise I'm not it. UK should have a deep enough skillset to have someone better than compulsive pleaser BJ.

When he promises "it'll be over by Christmas' all I can see is the same guy saying to the newly pregnant mistress with all sincerity that he'll be there as a father before skulking off because 6 months down the road when his priorities have changed.
    Fair enough, although you probably don't need to be a total liberal given some of your suggestions in the Coronavirus thread. I'm thinking something like this:

https://youtu.be/Rc9BGSsU_ZU
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,130
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

orraloon said:

I fear that placing your trust in Johnson to deliver that better future is as misplaced as the trust put in him by several women.

That would be like putting your trust in relatives of someone who's had an operation screwed up by a incompetent surgeon being able to do the reconstructive surgery required.

But if you read this and the Coronavirus thread, they're convinced that they can do it better. What's the worst that can happen.....?
    Do you not think you could have done a better job than Boris?
    No idea, but not really my area and IMO its a poisoned chalice. Do you really think you could do better?
    Problem is, governing isn't really his area either though. And especially through a crisis, he's not the right person.

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,508

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

orraloon said:

I recon a decent majority of cake stoppers would be better than the Tory MP who I grew up with.

Rick for president then. SC could be your chancellor of the exchequer after you've thrashed out your deal at 'La Granita'.
    I think we could all agree the popularity contest part of being president, which, let's face it, is not immaterial to the job, would be a real challenge for me.

My temper would also be tricky. Leaders do not lose their cool and/or rag. That and I wouldn't want the work, wouldn't enjoy it, and would rather see someone more capable doing it.

I'm quite happy to know what's best in a leader but recognise I'm not it. UK should have a deep enough skillset to have someone better than compulsive pleaser BJ.

When he promises "it'll be over by Christmas' all I can see is the same guy saying to the newly pregnant mistress with all sincerity that he'll be there as a father before skulking off because 6 months down the road when his priorities have changed.
    You've certainly got the leniency with the truth bit that is a prerequisite for being an MP.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,227

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

orraloon said:

You've certainly got the leniency with the truth bit that is a prerequisite for being an MP.
    Haha. How do you think he meant it? Why say Christmas at all?
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

orraloon said:

Fair enough, although you probably don't need to be a total liberal given some of your suggestions in the Coronavirus thread. I'm thinking something like this:

This came out before I was born, and is closer to the end of ww2 than we are to it.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,864
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

orraloon said:

But if you read this and the Coronavirus thread, they're convinced that they can do it better. What's the worst that can happen.....?
    Do you not think you could have done a better job than Boris?
    No idea, but not really my area and IMO its a poisoned chalice. Do you really think you could do better?
    absolutely
  • surrey_commuter
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

orraloon said:

If I was Ric's Chancellor the first thing he would do is sack me.

Your politics are closer to his than mine so you can have the job
  • rick_chasey

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

orraloon said:

You can't be a free marketer and then chose to ignore the market re debt, SC. It's just not consistent.
  • surrey_commuter

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

orraloon said:

You can't be a free marketer and then chose to ignore the market re debt, SC. It's just not consistent.
    you don't think the BofE is distorting the market?
  • rick_chasey

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

orraloon said:

Possibly, but you think the other market participants don't see that?
  • surrey_commuter

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

orraloon said:

like the pension funds who the Govt forces to buy gilts?

you can not think that I would be a good Chancellor for you? it would be good for the economy but scupper your political objectives.
  • Stevo_666
    Oh no, what have I started? :D
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

orraloon said:

you can not think that I would be a good Chancellor for you? it would be good for the economy but scupper your political objectives.
    They force them to buy gilts? You might have to talk me through that as it's new to me.

We disagree fundamentally on the mechanics and role of fiscal policy in the wider economy, so that is rather tricky.

Then again, perhaps that disagreement would be good so neither of us go too far one way or the other.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

orraloon said:

This came out before I was born, and is closer to the end of ww2 than we are to it.
    True, but it's still kinda relevant as it has a short bloke in a long leather coat telling people how to behave and an annoying bloke called Rik getting told to shut up :smile:
  • TheBigBean

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

orraloon said:

I can't be bothered to find the quote, but he really didn't promise it will all be over by Christmas. I think he said hopefully and November/Christmas at the earliest, and that we needed to prepare for worse.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,130
    "It is my strong and sincere hope that we will be able to review the outstanding restrictions and allow a more significant return to normality from November at the earliest - possibly in time for Christmas,"

Which (as he knew it would) becomes:

https://www.thepaperboy.com/uk/2020/07/18/front-pages-archive.cfm
  • rick_chasey

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

orraloon said:

I can't be bothered to find the quote, but he really didn't promise it will all be over by Christmas. I think he said hopefully and November/Christmas at the earliest, and that we needed to prepare for worse.
    Sure, I know the quote, I just wondered what you think he meant by it if it wasn't that.

I'll say it again, why bother even mentioning a date?
  • TheBigBean

"It is my strong and sincere hope that we will be able to review the outstanding restrictions and allow a more significant return to normality from November at the earliest - possibly in time for Christmas,"

Which (as he knew it would) becomes:

https://www.thepaperboy.com/uk/2020/07/18/front-pages-archive.cfm

I don't think Boris can be blamed for shoddy journalism unless it is some of stuff he penned himself.
  • TheBigBean

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

orraloon said:

Sure, I know the quote, I just wondered what you think he meant by it if it wasn't that.

I think he meant that he hoped things would be normal by Christmas. It's a long way from promising it.
  • rick_chasey

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

orraloon said:

I think he meant that he hoped things would be normal by Christmas. It's a long way from promising it.
    I know what he meant, I'm digging at why he said it the way he did.
  • Stevo_666
    Pretty obvious to me it was an aim/aspiration with the usual caveats that we don't have a crystal ball.
  • surrey_commuter

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

orraloon said:

They force them to buy gilts? You might have to talk me through that as it's new to me.

We disagree fundamentally on the mechanics and role of fiscal policy in the wider economy, so that is rather tricky.

Then again, perhaps that disagreement would be good so neither of us go too far one way or the other.
    Govt set rules on capital adequacy which "forces" them to buy gilts, which depresses the yield curve which forces them to buy more gilts.

this will explain better and give you some terms to Google further
    https://www.investmentweek.co.uk/investment-week/news/1393528/pension-fund-demand-impacting-gilt-yields
  • rick_chasey
    Ah got it.
  • surrey_commuter

Ah got it.

problem is that nearly all DB schemes are shut and as they head towards maturity the liabilities and assets will decrease
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

orraloon said:

Your politics are closer to his than mine
    I've never been so insulted :smile:
  • surrey_commuter
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

orraloon said:

Your politics are closer to his than mine
    I've never been so insulted :smile:
    to rephrase

Ric's politics are closer to yours than they are mine
  • rick_chasey

Ah got it.

problem is that nearly all DB schemes are shut and as they head towards maturity the liabilities and assets will decrease
    Sure, I was thinking the same - how much of it is to do with gov't mandated gilt buying and how much of it is just liability matching in a world where the population is getting older?

• surrey_commuter

Ah got it.

Sure, I was thinking the same - how much of it is to do with gov't mandated gilt buying and how much of it is just liability matching in a world where the population is getting older?

In the industry it is widely seen as market distorting
  • rick_chasey
    https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3655850

Nowhere else to put this but

Ending Corporate Tax Avoidance and Tax Competition: A Plan to Collect the Tax Deficit of Multinationals
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,873

Ah got it.

The rules around what assets DB schemes and annuity providers have to be held were written by Whitehall mandarins with no understanding of investment markets. They seem to believe that the need to match liabilities is solved by holding assets best suited for the short term, rather than a well diversified portfolio.

Over a 15-40 year time horizon, only a fool would hold fixed interest securities only, but that is what the mandarins have pretty much required.