LEAVE the Conservative Party and save your country!

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,699
    Me neither, but if not us then who?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Stevo_666 said:

Jeremy.89 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Jeremy.89 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

OK, maybe Sunak isn't quite as competent as I thought. Who drops hints of a SDLT holiday in an attempt to boost the property market?

🤦🏻‍♂️

It’s easy to be a chancellor who opens the taps....
    So basically you're saying its dead easy to be a Labour chancellor.
    You will have to find another angle to slate Labour chancellors
    There aren't any currently so no need :smile:
    Are you sure?

If a cat lives in a kennel is it a dog
    I am. The only person who is the chancellor is Rishi Sunak. Theres a Labour shadow chancellor but that's different.
    would not look out of place with a red rosette
    Exceptional circumstances?
    It was £60bn before C19 and planned to stay there for five years.

I remember when you would have agreed that was treasonous behaviour.
    Well labour did win the argument!
    I guess they would have won the election if that had been the case. But even if you were right, I'd prefer them to win the argument and lose the election rather than the other way aound :smile:
    Surely if the outcome of winning the argument and not the election is that your policies get implemented, you'd rather your side lost!
    Spending argument aside, that is only one side of the coin. How they tax us to finance that is relevant and Labour still treats people me like as the enemy.
    Depends if you see tax as a social obligation or punishment tbh.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,568

Stevo_666 said:

Jeremy.89 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Jeremy.89 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

OK, maybe Sunak isn't quite as competent as I thought. Who drops hints of a SDLT holiday in an attempt to boost the property market?

🤦🏻‍♂️

Are you sure?

I am. The only person who is the chancellor is Rishi Sunak. Theres a Labour shadow chancellor but that's different.

I guess they would have won the election if that had been the case. But even if you were right, I'd prefer them to win the argument and lose the election rather than the other way aound :smile:
    Surely if the outcome of winning the argument and not the election is that your policies get implemented, you'd rather your side lost!
    Spending argument aside, that is only one side of the coin. How they tax us to finance that is relevant and Labour still treats people me like as the enemy.
    Which will in turn depend on to what degree I see the amounts levied on me as reasonable or not.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    I see that Rishi Sunak is promising another £2bn give away today.
    Anyone got a running total of the promised spending since the turn of the year?
    Payback is going to be painful even if the majority is passed onto the children of today.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,272
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Jeremy.89 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Jeremy.89 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

🤦🏻‍♂️

Are you sure?

Which will in turn depend on to what degree I see the amounts levied on me as reasonable or not.
    No great point in overtaxing those who will need the help. So if you support the spending, it's higher earners or their children (or both in reality).
  • coopster_the_1st
    coopster_the_1st Posts: 5,158
    edited July 2020
    rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

Payback is going to be painful even if the majority is passed onto the children of today.

The penny is starting to drop for the lockdown loonies around who is going to have to pay for this unneeded economic destruction
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Jeremy.89 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Jeremy.89 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

🤦🏻‍♂️

Are you sure?

No great point in overtaxing those who will need the help. So if you support the spending, it's higher earners or their children (or both in reality).
    I thought the consensus was that there was no need to pay it back because debt service costs are so low and that in the decades to come it will be an insignificant % of our GDP.

Everybody thinks the rich who should bear the burden are those earning more than them, even JC defined it as people earning more than MPs . There are not enough of these people to make a difference.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

The penny is starting to drop for the lockdown loonies around who is going to have to pay for this unneeded economic destruction
    Putting aside the question of whether it's unneeded or even avoidable, I'm not sure why you think this is some sort of revelation. My and your taxes have gone towards paying off debts from WW2 and even the abolition of slavery. No doubt any great grandchildren I have will be paying for whatever the next big thing is that my children's generation have to deal with. I can't see why it's worth worrying about.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Jeremy.89 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Jeremy.89 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

🤦🏻‍♂️

Are you sure?

I thought the consensus was that there was no need to pay it back because debt service costs are so low and that in the decades to come it will be an insignificant % of our GDP.

Everybody thinks the rich who should bear the burden are those earning more than them, even JC defined it as people earning more than MPs . There are not enough of these people to make a difference.
    No, I'm assuming I will have to pay more. I'm fine with that. My business is being helped by the furlough scheme at the moment, so only fair that I pay some back when I can.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,935

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Jeremy.89 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Jeremy.89 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

🤦🏻‍♂️

Are you sure?

Isn't that classic Rickspeak?
  • rjsterry

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Jeremy.89 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Jeremy.89 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

🤦🏻‍♂️

Are you sure?

I think it's SC paraphrasing Rick and then claiming everyone said it. So RCxSC.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• kingstongraham

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/comment/20621490/#Comment_20621490

Can't say you didn't warn us.
  • kingstongraham
    Say what you like about it being unnecessary, but after the first 20,000 deaths we'd have been locked down no matter what the initial policy.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,568
    edited July 2020

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Jeremy.89 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Jeremy.89 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

🤦🏻‍♂️

Are you sure?

Correct. Althoigh regardless of my own view on the balance between social obligation and punishment in taxation, Labour definitely sees it as at least partly a punishment for the evil 'rich' and those nasty corporations. As do a few people on here I'm sure.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pblakeney

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/comment/20621490/#Comment_20621490

Can't say you didn't warn us.
    Well, quite.
    As I pointed out on the 17th March.....
    pblakeney said:

The economy is already down the tubes and going to get worse regardless of what BJ does.

Veronese68 wrote:
  • rjsterry
    Really?! The government is now doing meal deals for a month?

🤯
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry said:

Really?! The government is now doing meal deals for a month?

🤯

Surely this is discriminating against the Agoraphobes? :smiley:
  • rjsterry
    Dunno if it applies to takeaway 😏
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• kingstongraham
    rjsterry said:

Dunno if it applies to takeaway 😏

It does :smile:
  • rick_chasey

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Jeremy.89 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Jeremy.89 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

🤦🏻‍♂️

Are you sure?

That not consensus but the current majority thinking in the treasury.

There is also not much choice re govt spending.

Govt picking up the slack in spending in a recession is Macroeconomics 101
  • kingstongraham
    Can someone explain reason behind the stamp duty cut?
  • rick_chasey

No idea but a) Tory voters love it and b) might make the housing market a little more liquid (so perhaps there is a liquidity issue?)
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,203

I never really understood this logo. I guess it was a money tree.
  • pblakeney
    Remember when the Labour money tree was a joke to be avoided at all costs?
    I guess we have found out what it took to shake the tree, and will find out the true cost in the years to come.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866

No idea but a) Tory voters love it and b) might make the housing market a little more liquid (so perhaps there is a liquidity issue?)
    there must be better ways to spend a few billion - as a concept home insulation is a better idea and could have doubled the budget
  • focuszing723
    edited July 2020

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

You are right, but in a civilised new internet informed empowered world, we'd be like well screwed.
  • focuszing723
    Great words, but the money isn't coming from his pocket and he will be retiring with all the bells and whistles. At the end of the day that debt has to be serviced.

I don't know what the answer is, just that I don't like where this is going if it continues much longer.
  • rick_chasey
    edited July 2020

Great words, but the money isn't coming from his pocket and he will be retiring with all the bells and whistles. At the end of the day that debt has to be serviced.

I don't know what the answer is, just that I don't like where this is going if it continues much longer.

The point is right though. Either lots of firms rack up lots of debt and/or go bust or the govt does.

It’s different sides of the same balance sheet.

Difference is, gov’t has massive economies of scale to do the borrowing much more efficiently.
  • focuszing723
    edited July 2020

The point is right though. Either lots of firms rack up lots of debt and/or go bust or the govt does.

It’s different sides of the same balance sheet.

Difference is, gov’t has massive economies of scale to do the borrowing much more efficiently.
    The problem is governments rarely spend money efficiently and they certainly don't take responsibility regarding the tab.