LEAVE the Conservative Party and save your country!

Comments

• surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    rjsterry said:

I'll say it again, it's not the views per-se, but what they say about his judgement.

Let's put it another way: there were some pretty inept people (to put it mildly) on the other side of the Brexit debate, but I didn't disown the entire idea because of their involvement.
    you don't think that in general brexiteers in Parliament are incompetent buffoons?

you don't think that the woefulness of the Cabinet is directly related to the fact that they are Brexiteers?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    rjsterry said:

I'll say it again, it's not the views per-se, but what they say about his judgement.

Let's put it another way: there were some pretty inept people (to put it mildly) on the other side of the Brexit debate, but I didn't disown the entire idea because of their involvement.
    Oh sure. I hold those who led the campaign in similar contempt to be honest. But Leave Means Leave is not a who's who of anyone other than total idiots.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,699

rjsterry said:

you don't think that in general brexiteers in Parliament are incompetent buffoons?

you don't think that the woefulness of the Cabinet is directly related to the fact that they are Brexiteers?
    No. I think there are good and bad politicians on both sides of that argument. Membership of the cabinet seems to have been decided on the basis of loyalty alone.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

No. I think there are good and bad politicians on both sides of that argument. Membership of the cabinet seems to have been decided on the basis of loyalty alone.
    I'm pretty sure you and/or others were complaining about this loyalty thing when Rishi Sunak was made chancellor :tongue:
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    It’s easy to be popular when you act like Santa Claus.
    Time will tell on payback.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    pblakeney said:

Treasury famously has all the smart civil servants too.

Gordon Brown used to moan when he became PM how poor the No.10 people were by comparison.
  • rjsterry
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• surrey_commuter
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

I actually think that you need true believers to push it through, anybody who did not believe in the purity of the project would always be looking to mitigate the economic impact.

then you end up with a Cabinet loyal to Brexit who are wired differently to what is needed.
  • coopster_the_1st
    coopster_the_1st Posts: 5,158
    edited July 2020
    robert88 said:

It's a bit late now, but..

rjsterry said:

Do we all need to become Conservative party members so that we can make sure he[Boris Johnson] doesn't get in?

Yes, the sooner the better because you have to be a member 3 months before the voting ends.

It's £2.09 a month so it could cost under a tenner. :wink:

As this is the 1000th post in this thread, what better way to celebrate Johnson's 80 seat majority than to highlight the reason for the thread and how successful it has been :smiley:
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

I actually think that you need true believers to push it through, anybody who did not believe in the purity of the project would always be looking to mitigate the economic impact.

then you end up with a Cabinet loyal to Brexit who are wired differently to what is needed.
    I think the problem starts way further back. The process by which people become MPs is so skewed that for a majority of those in Parliament the main experience of an economic downturn is of bad things happening to other people. It's not that they don't care, it's just that the whole thing is much more abstract for them. When it's not your personal income dropping then it's much easier to believe that ideas of sovereignty are worth the trade off.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,272

robert88 said:

rjsterry said:

Do we all need to become Conservative party members so that we can make sure he[Boris Johnson] doesn't get in?

Yes, the sooner the better because you have to be a member 3 months before the voting ends.

As this is the 1000th post in this thread, what better way to celebrate Johnson's 80 seat majority than to highlight the reason for the thread and how successful it has been :smiley:
    Like the other thread, there's too many true believers to have made a difference even if anyone wanted to try to.

And now he's making them all wear muzzles.
  • rjsterry

robert88 said:

rjsterry said:

I thought you were 💔 over the 😷 and all the lockdown stuff.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

I think the problem starts way further back. The process by which people become MPs is so skewed that for a majority of those in Parliament the main experience of an economic downturn is of bad things happening to other people. It's not that they don't care, it's just that the whole thing is much more abstract for them. When it's not your personal income dropping then it's much easier to believe that ideas of sovereignty are worth the trade off.
    Oh come on. Leave Means Leave is a home for either the stupid or the malevolent.
  • rjsterry said:

robert88 said:

rjsterry said:

We only need to look towards Wales to see what a shower the other lot would have been so while I think the handling of the pandemic has been and is continuing to be lots of wrong decisions, they are still better wrong decisions than the other lot would have made.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,568

robert88 said:

rjsterry said:

Good point. It's worth just reminding people from time to time about the massive Tory 80 seat majority :)

Where is the Wolf of Cake Stop these days?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Jeremy.89
    Jeremy.89 Posts: 457

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Isn't the trouble with Brexit that it is too wide a concept to have a true believer?

If you truly believe in completely unlimited free trade, you can make an argument for leaving the "protectionist" EU.

Otoh if you want to go towards autarky, then clearly thats difficult whilst in the EU.

• shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    pblakeney said:

This.
    It's like the bloke who jumps off the top of the Empire State Building and half way down someone shouts out of a window "How's it going?"
    "So far so good" was his reply.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,593

rjsterry said:

robert88 said:

rjsterry said:

We only need to look towards Wales to see what a shower the other lot would have been so while I think the handling of the pandemic has been and is continuing to be lots of wrong decisions, they are still better wrong decisions than the other lot would have made.
    I didn't vote for them but that's a pretty poor example given that Wales has a lower rate of deaths per million than England. There's countless examples of the Welsh Government doing things badly and you manage to pick one of the ones where their record is better!
  • surrey_commuter
    Jeremy.89 said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Isn't the trouble with Brexit that it is too wide a concept to have a true believer?

If you truly believe in completely unlimited free trade, you can make an argument for leaving the "protectionist" EU.

Otoh if you want to go towards autarky, then clearly thats difficult whilst in the EU.

I think it is the other way round and it is an emotional decision that comes from the heart, they then try to rationalise it with arguments about their pet peeves
  • rick_chasey
    shortfall said:

pblakeney said:

This.
    It's like the bloke who jumps off the top of the Empire State Building and half way down someone shouts out of a window "How's it going?"
    "So far so good" was his reply.
    The same goes for the entire brexit process.
  • Pross said:

rjsterry said:

robert88 said:

rjsterry said:

I didn't vote for them but that's a pretty poor example given that Wales has a lower rate of deaths per million than England. There's countless examples of the Welsh Government doing things badly and you manage to pick one of the ones where their record is better!
    At least you have confirmed you agree with the non-mandating of masks as that, despite being the most cautious of the four nations, is the Welsh policy as they say there is little point when transmission is so low.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,593

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

robert88 said:

rjsterry said:

At least you have confirmed you agree with the non-mandating of masks as that, despite being the most cautious of the four nations, is the Welsh policy as they say there is little point when transmission is so low.
    Your ability to see something that isn't there is second to none. I didn't comment on mask wearing one way or the other, just made the point that what you claimed were 'wrong decisions' by the Labour led administration has actually resulted in a lower death rate. But then I suppose, looking at it from your quirky point of view, having a lower death rate is not a good thing as you've said many times.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,568

Jeremy.89 said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

I think it is the other way round and it is an emotional decision that comes from the heart, they then try to rationalise it with arguments about their pet peeves
    What, like roaming charges?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • surrey_commuter
    Stevo_666 said:

Jeremy.89 said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

What, like roaming charges?
    You have the wrong person, I despair that the Govt is spending millions to tell people about roaming charges, EHIC and pet passports.

BTW - the despair is that they are probably right and that is probably all the impact they will worry about.
  • surrey_commuter
    Read an article echoing our thoughts on the lack of talent caused by only promoting Brexiteers, meaning that Govt is being carried by Gove, Cummings and Johnson or as one Tory described them “two journalists and a maniac”
  • rjsterry
    Yes, there seems to be little love lost between Johnson and his MPs.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• surrey_commuter
    rjsterry said:

I think the problem is Cummings as he is openly contemptuous of them, in particular the ERG lot
  • rick_chasey

rjsterry said:

I think the problem is Cummings as he is openly contemptuous of them, in particular the ERG lot
    Anyone with two braincells would be contemptuous of the ERG.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,695
    Did you ever think this country is fxxked?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    orraloon said:

Did you ever think this country is fxxked?

Some have been saying this for a loooooong time. It's not getting better. 😢
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.