I just don't get it!

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    ayjaycee wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    The Godfather. It's crap. The only character that deserves any sympathy gets blown up before she gets any decent character development. Everybody else just deserves to get killed a lot more quickly than the running time of the movie. They are all terrible people. It's horribly over-rated. Nice cinematography alone does not make a great film. But everyone thinks it is great (probably mostly because they are told to). This is the premise of the thread.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion of their own (although you omitted the IMHO) but, in this case, you're wrong and so is everybody else who doesn't like it (obviously, IMHO). It's a brilliant film and anybody who says otherwise is talking absolute ballocks (IMHO of course).

However, you are right about James Corden, Top Gear (for maybe the last 10 years at least), Facebook and Mrs Browns Boys (which in particular is a pile of irredeemably puerile sh1te).

And thus I rest my case! Highlighted is of course the correct response (albeit purely in the terms of the thread - ayjaycee is clearly deluded in terms of his love of Godfather (and obviously that is a fact rather than an "IMHO"!)).

As it happens, I wasn't intending to express my opinion about James Corden et al either way. They were just examples from the thread of things that are hated by lots of people and thus not universally liked. But James Corden is a twunt.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553
    The Young Ones.

As with so much in comedy it was of its time. I loved it when it came out but watched an episode recently and just didn't laugh at all.

This probably fails the Rolf Test but I'll add Jess Glynne and Paloma Faith. The may not be universally liked but the BBC's obsession with them suggests otherwise.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,914
    ayjaycee wrote:
    However, you are right about James Corden
    Oh yes, James Corden. Despite my not having had a TV for 20-odd years, Corden still seems to crop up everywhere, his only skills being reading a script and laughing.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    ayjaycee wrote:
    Oh yes, James Corden. Despite my not having had a TV for 20-odd years, Corden still seems to crop up everywhere, his only skills being reading a script and laughing.

It's a bit unfair, you might not like the bloke but as Rick has said he co-wrote Gavin and Stacey. He also had the offer from the U S of A. Had the balls to accept, rose to the challenge and make it. Good for him.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    Dogging. Don’t get it.

You're flashing your lights wrong.

(sorry that was late, but I felt it was worth it)

The older I get, the better I was.

• shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Dogging. Don’t get it.

Maybe you need to ease yourself into it with a spot of seagulling first?
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Dogging is a pain in the arse!

I mean figuratively although I'm sure in some cases it applies literally.

Me and the mrs were heading back from somewhere or other of an evening and popped into the chippy about half way home. Drove to a scenic car park to enjoy our chips as dusk settled upon us.

Bunch of weirdos fill up the car park and start flashing lights at us as it goes dark.
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Cowsham wrote:

Thanks -- I get it now and yes I got bored with the godfather in the first 10min so haven't ever watched it -- what's it about anyway?

They are doing a new version only it's reality. The GOP is the Mob; DJT is playing the the Godfather. It's got to the bit where Tessio, played by John Kelly is about to led away.

hqdefault.jpg

GettyImages_915720302.0.jpg
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,914
    FocusZing wrote:
    ayjaycee wrote:

It's a bit unfair, you might not like the bloke but as Rick has said he co-wrote Gavin and Stacey. He also had the offer from the U S of A. Had the balls to accept, rose to the challenge and make it. Good for him.
    I don't think that 'being fair' is one of the rules of this game.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    FocusZing wrote:
    ayjaycee wrote:

Fair enough.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,689
    bompington wrote:
    However, I try to use a little logic, a little empathy, and give people (yes, even Brexiteers) the respect that they have, or at least might have, some valid reason for their ridiculous failure to agree with me.
    I don't get that. :wink:
  • SJH76
    SJH76 Posts: 191
    morstar wrote:
    Dogging is a pain in the ars*!

I mean figuratively although I'm sure in some cases it applies literally.

Me and the mrs were heading back from somewhere or other of an evening and popped into the chippy about half way home. Drove to a scenic car park to enjoy our chips as dusk settled upon us.

Bunch of weirdos fill up the car park and start flashing lights at us as it goes dark.

And that is a true statement to the best of my recollection your honour. :wink:
  • cowsham
    cowsham Posts: 1,399
    Shortfall wrote:
    The Deer Hunter.

Never watched the film but had to play the theme tune on piano for a wedding once -- beautifully simple but effective piece of music but I don't get why anyone would want it for coming in to. ( maybe it was the man who wanted it to remind him he's being shot in the morning )
  • cowsham
    The Young Ones.

I remember I liked ( not mad about it ) it back in the day for the slapstickness of it all but don't find it all that funny now.

Some of the things I find funny now are things that a lot of people don't find funny. Maybe it's because I notice stuff that happens in real life that I didn't before being too busy and rushing around when I was younger. ( like the day I chased the hare down the road on my bicycle towards the claws of a waiting cat.
    It was the changing look on the cats face as we approached that tickled me " ah dinner is s s s WTF ! )

I think that's why I like ' Still Game ' a lot of younger peeps don't get that at all.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Led Zeppelin.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Game of Thrones.
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Mary Poppins.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-46619935

It appears that Mrs Brown's Boys is for people who's comedy tastes have just never evolved from the 70's and 80's
  • Tashman wrote:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-46619935

It appears that Mrs Brown's Boys is for people who's comedy tastes have just never evolved from the 70's and 80's

It seems to appeal mostly to a certain age group from what I can tell, my parents are in their seventies and think it's great and so does a guy at work who's about to retire so a similar generation. I don't know anyone from my age group that watches it.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,584
    FocusZing wrote:
    ayjaycee wrote:

I'm totally with you on Corden, let's hope he stays in the US now.
    They sadly sent back Piers morgan and shane ritchey, so the omens are not good :evil:
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    james corden crashing into ed sheeran and both of them breaking their testicles.

now thats a real Christmas present.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • james corden crashing into ed sheeran and both of them breaking their testicles.

now thats a real Christmas present.

Hasn't that already happened to Sheeran? That would explain his voice, surely!
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • cowsham
    " Show n shine "
  • cowsham
    Atheists who believe in ghosts ????
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Cowsham wrote:

Why do ghosts feel that they need to wear clothes? No one reports seeing a naked ghost do they?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,515
    Cowsham wrote:
    " Show n shine "
    I suppose that depends what you're 'showing and shining'.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Some fantastic correct ones already, particularly music ones including Kings of Leon, Led Zeppelin, Neil Young.

Some mistakes are being made though, James Corden is just a bloke, there's nothing to get and Gavin and Stacey is complete shite by the way.

The main ones not mentioned yet are:

Game of Thrones, Prince, Formula 1, The League of Gentlemen and Chicken.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Notifications, such as browser notifications and phone notifications. Clutter.
  • The Office - cringeworthy at best
    Keith Lemon - why?
    Gogglebox - watching people watching TV?
    Jimmy Carr - yet another unfunny comedian
    Spinning Classes - why even go there?
  • Ballysmate wrote:
    Cowsham wrote:

Why do ghosts feel that they need to wear clothes? No one reports seeing a naked ghost do they?

Why are ghosts never reported wearing 70’s flares, open shirt and a medallion?